Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 10:37 PM

Default What is the PPA REALLY doing?

Is the PPA really doing anything?

I paid $20.00 to join the PPA and I received a T-shirt, but what are they doing besides selling T-shirts?

They are supporting Frank's new legislation - SO WHAT?

I support his legislation too, but what are we doing to ensure that Frank's new bill will pass?

TAKE ACTION!! Contact the PPA. Contact your legislators and fight for your rights to play poker!!!!
Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: What is the PPA REALLY doing?

Do you ever go on the PPAs website and read what they're doing ? Or see on the sites themselves offering tourney's if you join the PPA ? Or did you just want to rip on them since Bluffthis has left them alone lately ?

Look around they seem to be doing a lot of things.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Look around they seem to be doing a lot of things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aside from working on increasing membership... what would those "other things" be?

Can you list them???
Old 04-28-2007, 08:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Aside from working on increasing membership... what would those "other things" be?

Can you list them???

[/ QUOTE ]

Just of the things I am aware of, I know the PPA is increasing awareness of our issue all across the nation through media outlets, etc. Michael Bolcerek and others have appeared on all sorts of news shows debating the issues.

Just a week or so ago D'Amato and Bolcerek held a web conference which was pretty good.

It is very important for poker players to have a voice, and we can only do that if we do so in numbers. So the PPA presents us an opportunity to have our voice heard. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but we all know the NRA is so successful because of their numbers.

I am also very well aware that Bolcerek and others have been meeting with legislators and pitching some ideas to them for state regulation of poker.

The cost to join the PPA? $0. For you to suggest you're not getting your monies worth is silly Sniper.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:26 AM

Not to mention they encourage members to contact their representatives amongst other things. They even provide a portal on their website to send e-mails, etc. I believe many wouldn't be doing so if it weren't for their encouragement.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Can you list them???

[/ QUOTE ]

Just of the things I am aware of, I know the PPA is increasing awareness of our issue all across the nation through media outlets, etc. Michael Bolcerek and others have appeared on all sorts of news shows debating the issues.

Just a week or so ago D'Amato and Bolcerek held a web conference which was pretty good.

It is very important for poker players to have a voice, and we can only do that if we do so in numbers. So the PPA presents us an opportunity to have our voice heard. I'm not going to beat a dead horse, but we all know the NRA is so successful because of their numbers.

I am also very well aware that Bolcerek and others have been meeting with legislators and pitching some ideas to them for state regulation of poker.

The cost to join the PPA? $0. For you to suggest you're not getting your monies worth is silly Sniper.

[/ QUOTE ]

So basically,

1) It's free,

so it doesn't matter if they are being effective, have a well constituted board, or are representing the interests of certain online sites and media over those of players, both online & B&M.

2) There isn't a good alternative,

so it doesn't matter if they are being effective, have a well constituted board, or are representing the interests of certain online sites and media over those of players, both online & B&M.

3) If you were starving you'd eat road-kill and call it a filling meal.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:59 AM

You must have a lobbying group putting your case to the right people and seeing that your views make it into the media.
In Hollywood you have to have a press agent. But the public thinks that when it picks up People Magazine that it just so happens that Drew Barrymore really must be the Sexiest Human Alive. But that is precisely what press agents are for. You have to be acceptably attractive in the first place, but is there anyone in the world who thinks Barrymore is THE best looking person in the world? You need a press agent to work that kind of magic.
And in politics, lobbyists perform a similar function.
What they do may be mysterious, but look at the results so far.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:30 AM

I think the PPA has been very effective in a short period of time, they've gotten their name out there, raised awareness in Congress, they've become the primary voice on this issue....I still don't understand the nay-sayers here, seems like they're just trying to be a spoiler instead doing anything productive now.

It was good to question the PPA but now it's time to support their efforts and work for the ultimate goal of legalizing poker. All this high-horse [censored] about "who is behind them" and "what interests they really represent" is irrelevant now.

Since D'Amato signed on as chairman, I donate $100 a month.

I'm honestly starting to question the some of the regulars on this forum, it seems they're more full of [censored] then the PPA now.

Who's side are you guys on anyways?
Old 04-28-2007, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is the PPA really doing anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

Al D'Amato is out only lobbyist. Now that he has a bill to advocate (and he already issued a statement of unqualified support), the PPA has their marching orders. All they have to do is get Al D'Amato to his lunch meetings with congressmen on time, advocate on their web site, and get on television once in a while. They're doing all that, so we're where we need to be right now.

So, what are WE really doing? Many of us have been writing and calling our congressmen since UIGEA passed (and before). Now we need that more than ever. I recommend you go to Fight for Online Gaming!! -- Weekly action thread .
Old 04-28-2007, 01:30 PM

I think the issue here is that none of us are really sure if this bill is in the PPA's best interests (considering who they represent), or if the PPA is going to lobby for this bill at all. Have they made a statement regarding HR 2046?