Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Legislation
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2007, 03:01 PM

Default Re: Poker affiliates accesory to crime?

[ QUOTE ]
ANY UPDATES ON THIS? IS IT LEGAL OR ILLEGAL TO BE AN ONLINE POKER AFFILIATE?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if you read I. Nelson Rose's breakdown, it becomes pretty obvious that if you promote US facing online poker rooms then you are assuming some risk.

If all you do is promote non USA poker rooms (Party, Pacific, Paradise, Titan), then you have no worries. You won't be helping connect US players to online poker.

That being said, nobody has been arrested specifically for being an affiliate, and IMO it won't happen. I think sports betting affiliates take on more risk than poker affiliates, since the DOJ's efforts have focused on sports betting up to this point.

I do know of several successful online gambling affiliates who moved outside the USA, or at least moved their server hosting outside the USA.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:47 PM

Yes...it's definitely illegal, will it be enforced? Like Coachkf says, probably not. Sure....the DOJ could make an example out of a large affiliate or two, they'd probably receive cease and desist letters first though.
Old 04-21-2007, 08:22 PM

Worth noting, 2+2 is now a Party affiliate...
Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 AM

I am a decent size affiliate for poker rooms and sports books. I did consult an attorney in my area that I have used several times in the past. He made me aware that promoting gambling was already a crime in my state. He also told me that the DOJ likes to make examples out of people at times and that not everyone they prosecute is necessarily guilty. The problem is that it takes tens of thousands of dollars to fight the criminal complaint.

Someone mentioned they might indict a "large" affiliate. How would they know who a large affiliate is? My guess is that they would just do a whois lookup on some affiliate websites and indict the owners. I don't think that would happen, but who knows?

Luckily the affiliate business was not my main source of income. The affiliate business was nice because it helped me create a bankroll that I turned into something really nice playing with. Lately I have been cashing everything out except enough fundage for fun.
Old 04-23-2007, 03:10 PM

In a thread in the legislation forum StellarWind posted that "One distinction that has been made before is that affiliates who get paid a flat fee per signup are probably much less vulnerable than those who take a percentage of the rake."

Can anyone give any insight as to why this is / hed say that?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:22 PM

The best short answer to this question is probably that an affiliate to an online poker site is breaking the law if it helps an online poker site break the law. The begging question: what law is the online site breaking?

While StellarWind maybe was overstating the likely effect, an affiliate who only claimed a sign-up fee could say signing up was not illegal, only the subsequent money transfer for and/or playing was illegal and I dont get involved in that - something the 'perctange of rake' affiliate obviously cannot say.