Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-21-2007, 04:07 AM

Default 1 Week into 6-max .5/1, some questions.

A week into my journey of 6-max .5/1 its going ok 1BB just about 5k hands, will post stats at 10k.

Anyway I've been taking a few notes as I play, I'd these questions are probably relatively simple so here goes. My current completion from small blinds is about 48%.

In SSH it says complete the SB with hands you'd play on the button. Is this still solid advice for online at these low stakes?

I still think I'm completing a little to much and this is causing me to lose bets by playing mid-weak hands hard (as these guys don't fold!). Could someone share their 'rules' on completing the small blind? Even general advice would be helpful. I find myself completing with Q5 sometimes and throwing it away others. I don't really know why!

Also what about cold calling with little-mid pockets? Usually from good position MP-Button. Is this to loose? Or does it again depend on the number of callers etc.

My last point is I'm dealt AA in the BB, the SB raises. I have a decent read that he is AG player so I smooth call, reason being I think he'll fire a flop and turn bet more often than not. Is it ok to give up a little edge from not raising preflop in order to gain a few extra bets after the flop? Or should I be raising for equity immediately?

I've just blurted out what was going through my head so sorry if my grammar/questions are all over the place. I'm going to post a few questions each week as I play. Hopefully after a couple months or so I can sort them into some order and put them up for newbies to learn from.

Thanks
Old 11-21-2007, 04:09 PM

Default Re: 1 Week into 6-max .5/1, some questions.

One thing I will say, stop cold calling with small pps. About the only time I do this is when I'm on the button and UTG raises and at least one other player also CC's (it helps if the blinds are LP too). If you're in MP or CO definitely don't do it.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 PM

I'm not entierly confident on my strategy for completing the small blind, it's really more of a smell test for me at this point, so i'll let others cover that. One thing I will say is that I don't agree with some SSH advice with regard to the sb as it relates to SH games. I know it advises completeing with any two suited cards in tight games. Some of the sb advice is premised on the odds you get from the sb when there are 2 or 3 limpers. In a sh games when 1 player limps, I don't think completing with 94s is correct.

As for cc-ing mid pocket pairs, I don't like it. It's usually either a 3-bet or a fold with the about 66 being the difference between the two, this is very opponent dependent though.

Finally, with AA or KK I will sometimes not cap if the pot is heads up. If more than one opponent has committed money to the pot I think you get more value from capping then from deception later in the hand. Basically the only time I won't keep raising with those hands pf is in the following type of situation: I raise from hj, get 3bet by the co and everyone else folds, I will let co have the initiative going to the flop because I think the post flop deception is worth more than the one more small bet I can get pf.

If I am in a steal/defending situation it is also important to keep raising with AA and KK for a couple reasons. First, it sends a signal that you don't take kindly to steals/blind defense (if you don't sd your hand then it's just another hand that you stole/defended tenaciously). Second, your bets and raises are given less credibility in these situations and it's always good when you have AA or KK and opponents aren't taking you seriously. For completeness sake I should also mention that another reason the keep raising with these hands in this, and any other pf situation, is for value.

I don't know how this post got so long. I hope this is helpful.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:44 PM

I'm still new to LHE myself, so take what I say with a *few* grains of salt.

I think your SB completion is high from the winning player's stats that I've seen. I've seen them anywhere from 25-40%, but not one over 40. I would work on tightening up considerably there since the winner's have more experience and can probably play a few more marginal hands OOP in the SB.

As far as re-raising with PP's, I agree with nuts in that folding or re-raising is far better. Reason is that you don't have the implied odds like you do in NL (where "set = Stack" most times) and overcards are pretty much going to be priced in from the raise and can catch you later in the hand. In otherwords your small pair isn't winning $$$ unless it hits a set, and most of the time it won't. With a medium pair like 77/88 you have some showdown value as you might have TP or can at least beat middle pair. I fold 22-66 here always outside of the blinds. Note that in the blinds, I am still calling with these smaller pairs.

Finally with the AA hand I think it's a mistake not to re-raise here. If you can get more money in and tie your opponent to the pot then by all means do so. Also, if he is really AG, then go for a turn CR. The good thing about really AG foe's is that sometimes they even play back and you can squeeze yet another raise out of them.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:36 PM

Thanks for the advice I've learnt that I'd probably better off sticking to the following:

Do Not CC Small-Mid Pairs in any position (Button & Blinds maybe exception)
Complete less out of the SB. (This is good because it's relatively easy to change)
Reraise strong hands for value when the oppurtunity arises as this can gain added benefits such as showing strength defending your blinds, showing down good hands and you may even get played back at by a very AG player anyway.

Great stuff I'll post again next week with some more questions from this weeks pla
Old 11-21-2007, 11:53 PM

About the AA example, I dont think its bad to call AA in the BB vs a SB open. The problem is that im 3 betting a pretty wide range vs a SB open so a 3 bet doesnt really let my opponent know that I have a strong hand.
Old 11-22-2007, 01:07 AM

Good point. Especially at these limits the 3-bet doesn't mean anything anyway. I'll keep it in mind.