Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Why I Hate Missouri -- You Should Too

From what I can gather from this thread, I think this sums up the KU-Mizzou rivalry nicely:

Old 11-17-2007, 11:04 AM

Thanks for that!

I hate posting a MU win, but this basketball brawl is carry-over from the '60 football season. I like, especially, the band playing our National Anthem to restore order and calm the crowd.

1961 KU, MU Brawl

Also, unconfirmed, but Jack Buck on play-by-play?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize this is a thread about football, but all this Mizzou-hating reminded me of 2 of my favorite photos of all time. Missouri played in the Hearnes center for 32 years and won 85% of their games there. Here's a couple shots from the final game before they closed down the building.

Note dude in jean shorts and a t-shirt cape, among others.

Kansas 84, Missouri 82

[/ QUOTE ]
The Zou Crew is not representative of the University of Missouri's general population. Mostly, they're all a bunch of dorks, mostly.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

And, don't even get me started on their cokehead former coach, Quinn Snyder. Or how they named their basketball arena after a 20-something girl who never attended their university or did anything of note (besides cheat through college leading Missouri to rename the arena).

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of cheating:

For being found guilty of academic fraud and other violations, football loses three scholarships per signing class for each of the next two years. The 25-scholarship maximum for most football programs is just 22 for Kansas until 2009.

KU athletics: providing answers to correspondence course tests since 2001.

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, are you kidding me??

Remind everyone why your arena was renamed... go ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

No I'm not. We at least didn't have academic FRAUD happening ON OUR CAMPUS. We were given a $25 MILLION dollar donation to build our STATE OF THE ART basketball arena. Part of that donation included naming rights to the arena. After Paige's cheating came out, her parents were mortified and gave up the naming rights so the school could rename the arena. Explain to me where Missouri did anything wrong there? Enjoy playing in your high school gym.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, and remember when Ricky Clemons took 24 credit hours in summer school. The guy that choked his girlfriend because she wouldn't watch Roots. The guy who violated the terms of his work release to go to a party at the University President's house at which he crashed an ATV and ended up in the hospital. Did Mizzou really think there was any chance that guy taking 24 credits would go unnoticed?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I can't say anything in defense of Clemons or Quin. Obviously both were mistakes. However, the NCAA cleared Clemons' hours. Would you REALLY like to compare the violations/off court actions of basketball players between our schools for the last 5 years? You do remember a certain player by the name of JR Giddens right? You do remember getting put on probation for PAYING your players right?

[ QUOTE ]
Quin Snyder and Ricky Clemons created more scandal in 3 years than KU has in their entire history.

[/ QUOTE ]

KU Athletics: 6 major NCAA violations.

MU Athletics: 4 major NCAA violations.

[censored] Kansas.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Missouri should just be happy that Illinois got placed on probation in bball in the early 90s

don't worry Mizzou fans, still a month until the beatdown

Series Record: Illinois leads 18-8
Current Streak: Illinois, 7 wins
Illinois when ranked: 13-3
Missouri when ranked: 3-8
When both teams are ranked: Illinois leads 6-0
Illinois when unranked: 5-5
Missouri when unranked: 5-10
When both teams are unranked: Illinois leads 3-2
In overtime games: Tied 2-2
At the St. Louis Arena: Illinois led 9-4
At Scottrade Center: Illinois leads 9-4
Illinois' longest winning streak: 8 (1983-90)
Missouri's longest winning streak: 4 (1991-94)
Illinois' largest winning margin: 32 points (2005)
Missouri's largest winning margin: 18 points (1994)
Closest margin: 1 point, three times (1992, 1993, 2003)

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll see. We have a coach that actually can coach now.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:58 PM

missouri and illinois should have a big rivalry in football for the next couple of years...both teams are young and very good

although mizzou did get the best of illinois this year in what turned out to be a huge win
Old 11-17-2007, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Enjoy playing in your high school gym.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

Micro, I guess I just don't understand where you're coming from. At the end of my post I explained why Kansas counts the win (results on the field) and why Missouri counts the win (5/8 ruling of the conference). I'm not bitter at all, and I actually think both claims have some degree of validity though I don't think I'm supposed to admit that.

Sandy, awesome post. Thanks.

fifield, I forgot about that video. I know it was a different time, but the national anthem? Did they really think that would work?
Old 11-17-2007, 01:47 PM

National anthems have been tried to end really bad fights or fan brawls in other games I think. I don't think it was invented in this game but I could be wrong.
Another technique that has been tried is to turn out the lights.

I can't be positive but I'm pretty sure that is not Jack Buck doing the announcing.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I realize this is a thread about football, but all this Mizzou-hating reminded me of 2 of my favorite photos of all time. Missouri played in the Hearnes center for 32 years and won 85% of their games there. Here's a couple shots from the final game before they closed down the building.

Note dude in jean shorts and a t-shirt cape, among others.

Kansas 84, Missouri 82

[/ QUOTE ]
The Zou Crew is not representative of the University of Missouri's general population. Mostly, they're all a bunch of dorks, mostly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I honestly can't tell what it is I'm supposed to see in those pics other than some fans who are upset that they lost a game.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't be positive but I'm pretty sure that is not Jack Buck doing the announcing.

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be a young version of him, before he completely fell in love with his own voice.

http://www.stlradio.com/hof-legacy-1.htm

Jack Buck
For several generations of baseball fans, Jack Buck’s voice has been permanently linked to the St. Louis Cardinals. He came to St. Louis to be a play-by-play announcer for the team in 1954.
With the exception of a couple years, Buck has continued in the booth for the Redbirds, but he held many more jobs. At KMOX, listeners heard him doing play-by-play for St. Louis Cardinals football, University of Missouri basketball and football, and, for a short time, St. Louis Blues hockey.
He also did Monday Night Football for CBS Radio and broadcast numerous Superbowls and World Series games. For several years in succession, he logged over 200,000 air miles annually. He is a member of the broadcast wing of the Baseball Hall of Fame and was given the Pete Rozell Award by the National Football League.
Jack Buck also established himself as a strong team member at KMOX. He was a disc jockey in the late 50s, and was the host of the first “At Your Service” program February 29, 1960. He hosted Christmas morning programs from his home every year, and, in the ultimate indication of community involvement, was known to host up to 250 civic and charitable events a year.