Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-17-2007, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Why I Hate Missouri -- You Should Too

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I think Missouri is the better team and will win the football game, even though I'll be rooting slightly for KU. Sorry KUJustin, but even if you beat Missouri, no way you beat OU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think the Mizzou game is a toss-up. I also think Mangino has some sort of special rival-beating power given his recent success, so I'm somewhat confident.

As for OU, I'll readily admit they'll be the favorites, but it'll be by no more than a TD and anything can happen once we get there. That's all we can ask for at this point.

Oh, and MicroBob, the 2nd longest continuous rivalry in the country having a disputed, nearly-tied, all-time series is interesting to some people. I don't know why you would assume that everyone cares whether or not it's interesting to you specifically.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:11 AM

I realize this is a thread about football, but all this Mizzou-hating reminded me of 2 of my favorite photos of all time. Missouri played in the Hearnes center for 32 years and won 85% of their games there. Here's a couple shots from the final game before they closed down the building.

Note dude in jean shorts and a t-shirt cape, among others.

Kansas 84, Missouri 82
Old 11-17-2007, 03:15 AM

Ok, MicroBob will really get his panties in a bunch over me bringing up this one.

Here's Mizzou's players tearing down the goalposts after beating a Kansas team that would finish the season at 2-10 (sad year).

I still can't believe this one.

Also, Kansas surely set some sort of record by having both KSU and MU tear down the goalposts after defeating them in the midst of a 2-10 season. We also probably set a record a couple of years ago when I believe we tore down the goalposts 4 times in a single season. It was kind of pathetic, though beating Nebraska for the first time in 37 years was a pretty good reason, so at least one was legit.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:37 AM

this thread has convinced me to pull for missouri whenever this game happens.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That said, I think Missouri is the better team and will win the football game, even though I'll be rooting slightly for KU. Sorry KUJustin, but even if you beat Missouri, no way you beat OU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think the Mizzou game is a toss-up. I also think Mangino has some sort of special rival-beating power given his recent success, so I'm somewhat confident.

As for OU, I'll readily admit they'll be the favorites, but it'll be by no more than a TD and anything can happen once we get there. That's all we can ask for at this point.

Oh, and MicroBob, the 2nd longest continuous rivalry in the country having a disputed, nearly-tied, all-time series is interesting to some people. I don't know why you would assume that everyone cares whether or not it's interesting to you specifically.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's particularly interesting actually.
Even the stuff about the series record being different from the 2 schools' perspectives I found to be interesting.
But the conclusion of that post that includes all that bitterness at mizzou and/or feelings of superiority for KU is what I find especially lame.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:29 AM

In fact, I'm so interested in this rivalry now that I looked it up a little bit.

Here's a snippet I saw on wikipedia that implies that Mizzou is with the majority as far as the series record is concerned:

"Kansas won the game, but later had to forfeit the game due to the use of an ineligible player. Though Kansas counts the 1960 game as a win, Missouri, the NCAA, and most reputable data sources do not"
Old 11-17-2007, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this thread has convinced me to pull for missouri whenever this game happens.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:41 AM

Missouri should just be happy that Illinois got placed on probation in bball in the early 90s

don't worry Mizzou fans, still a month until the beatdown

Series Record: Illinois leads 18-8
Current Streak: Illinois, 7 wins
Illinois when ranked: 13-3
Missouri when ranked: 3-8
When both teams are ranked: Illinois leads 6-0
Illinois when unranked: 5-5
Missouri when unranked: 5-10
When both teams are unranked: Illinois leads 3-2
In overtime games: Tied 2-2
At the St. Louis Arena: Illinois led 9-4
At Scottrade Center: Illinois leads 9-4
Illinois' longest winning streak: 8 (1983-90)
Missouri's longest winning streak: 4 (1991-94)
Illinois' largest winning margin: 32 points (2005)
Missouri's largest winning margin: 18 points (1994)
Closest margin: 1 point, three times (1992, 1993, 2003)
Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 AM

"But the conclusion of that post that includes all that bitterness at mizzou and/or feelings of superiority for KU is what I find especially lame."

bob, i think if there were a bunch of mizzou fans posting they would be pointing out all of kansass indiscretions and you would find them equally insufferable.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:02 AM

Well, isn’t this special. And here I believed I was one the few left on the planet who had a memory for and a modest investment in these silly affairs.

A note on the Bert Coan hullabaloo: The Bud Adams matter is still is puzzle. Adams did have a Kansas University connection, but he was not a Kansan and his primary interest was his ownership of a Texas professional team. Coan was a mega-blue chipper Texas high school running back and guys like him played for Oklahoma if they didn’t play for Texas -- certainly not KU. Particularly since he was white, which was still a huge factor then in the southwest. Adams flew Coan to a college all-star game in a private plane. Why he would do such a dumb thing, on his own, remains a mystery. Coan would be tainted, no matter where he might matriculate later.

No one could have known then, but a healthy Coan would make up what might have been the most talented four-man college football backfield of all time. John Hadl and Curtis McClinton were All-Americans, Coan was better than both of them before his leg was broken, and the fourth was Lawrence native -- like Hadl -- fullback Doyle Schick. Schick was an All-Big Eight defender. All four had NFL careers (Schick played corner for the Redskins, Coan had a cup of coffee with the Chiefs.) Hadl, of course, could do everything. He was a halfback before he played quarterback (All-American at both positions), and then he called many of the plays (since coach Jack Mitchell tended to overheat during games), he returned kicks, and he is pretty much forgotten as one of the greatest punters in Big Eight history -- he was the Tom Harmon of his day. (Among the team records still standing: longest interception return, a 98-yard run against TCU; and longest punt, 94 yards vs. Oklahoma.) Three more players on that team had pro careers, including terrific center/linebacker Fred Hageman.

The lightening-quick, pre-Orange Bowl timing of the 1960 forfeit (and the last-minute voting rule change) underline the perceptions of Jayhawk supporters that the NCAA and, to a lesser degree, the league, historically scrutinized Kansas more than Missouri, Oklahoma and Nebraska -- three traditional opponents who had well-deserved reputations for tip-toeing around the rules. (In fairness, Missouri’s reputation would not come in question until years later.) The NCAA and the Big Eight were headquartered in Kansas City, only some 40 miles east of Lawrence, and Walter Byers, the long-time NCAA tsar and KC resident, was forever suspected by Kansans to harbour a special antipathy toward KU.

And it was true that Byers perceived himself as an amateur athletic purist and a saviour, and it was true there were any number of Kansas-haters in his neighbourhood whispering nasty rumours in his ear, and it was true that KU was in everyone’s sights the moment Wilt Chamberlain came to town.

No one could believe Wilt would choose to play at KU without compensation. Neither could Wilt! Wilt was gobsmacked when backhanders didn’t materialize after he arrived at Kansas. He’d been paid to play in the Catskills on his high school summer vacations and he assumed that would continue wherever he played college ball. He eventually manipulated a deal himself for a used car from a KC dealership, owned by an influential alumnus -- Wilt had his eye on a car owned by one of his fraternity brothers, the dealer bought it and sold it back to Wilt. Then Wilt refused to make the payments. A group of alums paid the car off, rather than repossess Wilt’s wheels. Big mistake... A mistake Kansas has been paying for ever since. (Some details in this account may never have seen print before. You’re welcome...)