Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Would you rather
Have a thumb sticking out of your chin? 8 47.06%
Live in a world where Toby Keith music was the only music available? 9 52.94%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2007, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Fire Jack Effel Now!!!!

Clayton, I am a tournament director. I don't think Jack would make a personal decision to make the players play in 100 degree heat. He probably had a "lesser of 2 evils" situation, where he could either postpone the event to a later date(which is difficult to near impossible with the tight schedule), or choose the event to go in the tent. I can't defend his decision, or his reasoning, without knowing the specifics of the situation (and trust me, there were many that you can imagine, and many more that you cannot.) In any case, dont assume Jack is inhuman or a jerk because of that decision. he may not have even been the one to make that call.

JG
Old 07-03-2007, 03:54 PM

How are you!!? Haven't seen you in awhile... Hope you are playing well and running better! Are you the chick that drove the volkswagen??
Old 07-03-2007, 03:57 PM

Randy,
I have gained new respect for you over the last year. Running big events is much easier to me than directing smaller ones in a single market. I need some ideas to generate business. LOL
Old 07-03-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Randy,
I have gained new respect for you over the last year. Running big events is much easier to me than directing smaller ones in a single market. I need some ideas to generate business. LOL

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Johnny, I hear you are doing pretty good in a single market. I think the key to having really successful tournanments in a single market is to find a market where everyone else that understands tournament poker leaves town to go direct larger tournaments. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Seriously the next time I am in MS I will have to stop in and play a few, I still owe you a really nice tip after a win.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 AM

Before I begin, let me say that I in no way claim to be a poker expert. I simply enjoy the game and play for nothing more than fun. I am the daughter of a poker player and truly understand things from a player's perspective. I have nothing but respect for the people who have the discipline to play for a living, it is not an easy thing to do.
I have known Jack for quite a few years and know what kind of person he is. I hate to see so many attacks on him but at the same time I understand the frustrations the have been voiced by many players. I feel that Jack is a great guy and does deserve to be given a little slack. Having said that, I also feel that Jack needs to use his ears a little more instead of his mouth. I have never worked a major poker tournament, but I am married to someone who has, and I have spent countless hours listening to the frustrations of someone who has been in the position of TD.
So for anyone else wanting to blast at Jack, I think you should think for a second about how hard his job must be, and Princess, while I admire your persistence in defending Jack, if you really were "the nicest person you could ever meet" you wouldn't be so negative to everyone here who is also "just voicing an opinoin."
Old 07-06-2007, 05:45 PM

The problems are starting to get some mainstream press.

Report from MSNBC
Old 07-06-2007, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I begin, let me say that I in no way claim to be a poker expert. I simply enjoy the game and play for nothing more than fun. I am the daughter of a poker player and truly understand things from a player's perspective. I have nothing but respect for the people who have the discipline to play for a living, it is not an easy thing to do.
I have known Jack for quite a few years and know what kind of person he is. I hate to see so many attacks on him but at the same time I understand the frustrations the have been voiced by many players. I feel that Jack is a great guy and does deserve to be given a little slack. Having said that, I also feel that Jack needs to use his ears a little more instead of his mouth. I have never worked a major poker tournament, but I am married to someone who has, and I have spent countless hours listening to the frustrations of someone who has been in the position of TD.
So for anyone else wanting to blast at Jack, I think you should think for a second about how hard his job must be, and Princess, while I admire your persistence in defending Jack, if you really were "the nicest person you could ever meet" you wouldn't be so negative to everyone here who is also "just voicing an opinoin."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know Jack in person but if I did this post would be dead-on accurate with my thoughts. The problem with people knowing someone is they automatically let the kindness of the person blind them from the business aspect that is being discussed.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:24 PM

The problem is not the decision now but the poor planning leading up to it. Of course a tent in Las Vegas in July with 500? people in it is going to be very HOT!!!! Then when the dust storm hits it might blow down. He may have known all this and gotten over ruled. Just another example of Harrah's having poor decision making and poor customer service.
Hopefully the new owner's will correct this and make the WSOP a first class operation or sell it to someone who will.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:08 AM

A bracelet winner approached me today to vent about Jack Effel (it wouldn't be right for me to say who on this forum, but he intends to write an article about it). He has known Jack and said he wasn't qualified for the job, he longs for the days of Mat Savage, and said Johny would also be much much better also. I was surprised to hear this unsolicited comment from him, it made me realize for sure that Jack's not going to like the post-series comments that will come out.

PS: He knew who PrincessENE is, he knows her in real life and said her attitude in this thread was wrong.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:17 PM

After reading this thread... this is my impression of PrincessENE:

blah blah blah!!!! BLAH!! blah blah!!!!!!! BLAH BLAH!!!!

TT, if your friend is correct (ENE is a nice person in real life)- then it is sad that she came across so badly in defending Jack.

That was my take on it.