Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit

Old 11-27-2007, 08:18 PM

Default River raise with top 2

Just a check up since I've been trying to get a little more aggressive with my river raises. Game had started off really good, but now some of the fish have been busted only to be replaced by TAGs. Villain is not a TAG, more of a LAP/LPP depending on his mood. He's been alternating between the 2.

Folded to villain in MP and he raises, Hero 3 bets KQd in the CO. folded around and villain calls.

Flop is Qd5c8s. check, bet, call.

Turn is Tc. check, bet, call

River is Kc. Villain bets, I raise intending to fold if he 3 towns.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:46 PM

Default Re: River raise with top 2

I like it. If he's passive that a 3-bet is a set/straight or flush almost always, it's great. If he has a worse two, he just calls because he fears you backdoored into one of these or flopped a set.

Hopefully he was in one of his LAP moods when he raised PF [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 11-27-2007, 09:03 PM

I like the river raise a lot - you'll get a lot of crying calls out of AK or KJ/KT type of hands.

PF seems a little thin to me. Maybe I'm too nitty (I probably am), but I don't like to 3-bet isolate with unpaired K-high hands unless the opener is over-the-top aggro or I think he'll check-fold if he misses the flop. If, for example, this guy decided to get way out of line with Axo, you're going to have to fire every street (or outdraw him) to win the pot.
Old 11-27-2007, 09:58 PM

If your going to raise the river you must never muck to a 3 "town" as you call it. I see weak players (not to say you) get completly out of line when they spike two pair on the river when the card could not habe possibly helped their hand. What do you beat of his likely holdings when he donks into you like that. AK, most likely he has AJ and your beat. Is this game 10 handed, live, online. (I hope the answer is not 10 handed live),dont be afraid to muck this hand preflop.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:14 PM

fold pf - unless you look left and see that button, sb, and bb all are coming along.

(sidenote: whats a LAP? loose aggressive passive?)
Old 11-27-2007, 10:47 PM

LAP=LAG Preflop LP Postflop
Old 11-28-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fold pf - unless you look left and see that button, sb, and bb all are coming along.

(sidenote: whats a LAP? loose aggressive passive?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty standard 3bet for me w/position
Old 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your going to raise the river you must never muck to a 3 "town" as you call it. I see weak players (not to say you) get completly out of line when they spike two pair on the river when the card could not habe possibly helped their hand. What do you beat of his likely holdings when he donks into you like that. AK, most likely he has AJ and your beat. Is this game 10 handed, live, online. (I hope the answer is not 10 handed live),dont be afraid to muck this hand preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would usually three bet this preflop if in fact this guy is LAG but then again I am weak tight. If the players behind me are loose I would just call and if the villian has tight raising standards I would muck assuming I didn't think there would be a multiway pot.

Why do you think He has AJ here? It doesn't seem likely the way the hand has been played.

Why does it matter if this is a ten handed game? What matters is the villians relative position to the button.

I would raise the river and probably call the threebet. Ultimately I would have to be there to know what to do.