Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-20-2007, 10:49 PM

Default Re: Good Samaritan Put to the test

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this really depends on the amount of leaves in the yard. my yard takes about 5 hrs to rake. its not that big either. i think you guys are underestimating how long this could take.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't wrap my head around this.

5 Hours means you are either stupid slow
or you have a pretty damn big yard

if you have that big of yard, you either have the means to afford a better way to do it (mulching mower or something) or it's too big to even bother raking.

[/ QUOTE ]

My parent's yard is a little over half an acre. My dad has a lawn tractor with a Cyclone Rake attached to the back of it. It takes him about three hours every other day to keep his yard somewhat clear. He has a constant mini-mountain of burning leaves just to keep up with it. He has a couple of oak trees in his yard that are probably old enough to have had Indians camped out around them at one point, and to top it off, some Maple trees that produce some ungodly amount of leaves.

I would venture to guess that that a full container holds about 300lbs of mulched leaves. It takes him anywhere between four and five containers each time to clear his yard.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just smile, tell her you'll do it for free because she reminds you of your grandmother, and rake the [censored] leaves.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.
Old 11-21-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the people that are saying "I'd do it for free" think that the $2 aspect of this what is important.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'd be surprised
Old 11-21-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like the people that are saying "I'd do it for free" think that the $2 aspect of this what is important.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's funny, because it is important. If I do it, it's clearly because I'm generous as all hell. offering me $2 takes away my generosity in the transaction. I'd probably be willing to help an old lady out, but not one that had to go to ridiculous lengths to make it look like I was not doing her a favor.

I'd probably have done it if I thought she was a sweet lady, and she asked nicely. If she offered me $2, she'd get a rejection, although it would probably be a kind one.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:01 AM

$2 is a lot to some old because a) some dont know there has been any inflation in the last 60 years and b) some are on a serisouly fixed income and $2 could be like a weeks worth of a food.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either do it for free, or tell her you're very busy with other work, and barely have time for your own yard.

[/ QUOTE ]

/thread
Old 11-21-2007, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well BigPoppa is right, this is one of those things you do because you're a Good Person (or to convince yourself as much), and that is payment in and of itself.

I'm pretty bad at Good Person acts, the problem is they don't often come naturally so I feel guilty that I have to force myself to behave like a Good Person. It's like years ago I lived in an apartment near an old lady who was clearly on her last legs. She was legally blind or something and didn't do much but sit around and watch (or at least listen to) really loud TV. I stopped by from time to time for a visit, there was part of me that felt pretty badly about how much time she spent alone, and a part of me that felt odd just sitting around BSing with her and wondering if it was awkward for her too. This wasn't some Tuesdays with Morrie thing where she imparted a lifetime of wisdom, it was mostly just small talk until we ran out of stuff to talk about, then I left.

OP's conundrum is that if he does it it's not going to be a natural act, it's going to be forced or he would have done it already. So ultimately it will be a self-serving thing to do, it's just that in this case someone else benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points Tuq. There are do-good acts that we may do of our own time of convenience, terms, etc, and they may make us feel good. The real test is when asked to do good when we least want it, and see no real value that the act will make us feel good about ourselves.

I do like the answers, though, that said "pay some kids to do it," . That way Granny gets her leaves raked and I don't have a guilt trip. This isn't the good samaritan route, but the pay-for-guilt-avoidance route. Nonetheless, it is practical.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:08 AM

"I'd love to do it for free, but I have to go do [make something up] in like 10 minutes"
Old 11-21-2007, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So I am outside raking leaves and the old lady across the street comes over...she's an 80 year old widow.

She has a ton of leaves and offers me $2 to rake her whole yard for her...

what is your play/response?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say "Granny, not again. Don't let him push you around. You get back in that house and tell Zee Justin that the deal was first one out rakes the leaves."
Old 11-21-2007, 02:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well BigPoppa is right, this is one of those things you do because you're a Good Person (or to convince yourself as much), and that is payment in and of itself.

I'm pretty bad at Good Person acts, the problem is they don't often come naturally so I feel guilty that I have to force myself to behave like a Good Person. It's like years ago I lived in an apartment near an old lady who was clearly on her last legs. She was legally blind or something and didn't do much but sit around and watch (or at least listen to) really loud TV. I stopped by from time to time for a visit, there was part of me that felt pretty badly about how much time she spent alone, and a part of me that felt odd just sitting around BSing with her and wondering if it was awkward for her too. This wasn't some Tuesdays with Morrie thing where she imparted a lifetime of wisdom, it was mostly just small talk until we ran out of stuff to talk about, then I left.

OP's conundrum is that if he does it it's not going to be a natural act, it's going to be forced or he would have done it already. So ultimately it will be a self-serving thing to do, it's just that in this case someone else benefits.

[/ QUOTE ]

[X] Written by stoned person.