Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2007, 05:33 PM

Default Re: The well: MTblue

[ QUOTE ]
So you were TheBlackDeath on Party? Interesting ..

Biggest downswing? Longest breakeven stretch?

Was there a limit that you just couldn't beat for a while at any time in your poker career?

How aggressive are you with your roll in terms of moving up?

I'll ask some more later, thanks for doing this.

[/ QUOTE ]

My biggest downswing was probably around $40K. Longest breakeven stretch maybe 100K hands. I lost $20K at 5/10 and 10/20 mainly do to poor play so I decided to play 2/4 till I won it back. It took awhile.

If I don't run well when I move up I move down quickly. There are particular lineups that I feel like I'm not a winner against. The limit has never been as important to me as who's playing.

As long as I have 10-15 buyins for a limit I'm willing to play it as long as I feel like I have an significant edge in the game. However, I only move up when I feel like I'm the best player at the limit I'm playing.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:36 PM

100bb stacks, folded to you on CO/button and you raise with XX to 4bb and a decent 22/19/3 regular (probably a 2p2er) 3bets to 14-16bb.

What % do you 4bet or call with:

AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT
AKs
AKo

Are there any dynamics that you can talk about that would change these % (for example assume you call AA 50% but you feel he is tilting and you have 4bet/3bet him a fair bit recently and think he is going to play back at a small 4bet, obviously you would 4bet AA more often) Are there other situations which would make you 4bet more/less with certain hands?

Another question, obviously you are raising a ton of hands from CO/button as most of us do/should. When you get 3bet from the blinds how often do you defend with hands like 67s, QTs, 44 with 100bb stacks. Do you feel like calling in position here in 3bet pots is a huge leak? I'm pretty sure ive seen people like cts say they will call in position here with a large amount of their raising range - what are your thoughts?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assume you have a choice of two tables to play at. One is a full 6max table, with yourself, another good 2p2er, a 40bb shortstack, and two fishy looking 40/10/2 randoms who open limp. The other is three handed with a fairly good but too tight 18/14/3 regular and a fullstacked 30/10.

Which do you pla

y assuming you are already 7 tabling and want to play one more. (basically my example is based on you 8 tabling 6max, and one table breaking down to 3 handed - is it more profitable to find a new full table, or do you play 3 handed).

If you feel one is significantly more profitable than the other, by how much would you guess and why?

Oh and another similar question - you are 8 tabling 6max and one breaks to HU and the opponent is pretty bad. Keep playing him HU or leave and find a new 6max table with more fish?

[/ QUOTE ]

Either table is a dream table past 5/10NL. The first table I would take over the second. The 30/10 strategy is going to be more closer to optimal 3 handed and the 18/14 is going to be +EV to play against but not as much 2 40/12.

On the HU's question (assuming the stake is large enough that the rake is negligible), I will play somebody I feel like I'm significantly better than HU even if it means I have to shut down another table.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Theory question:

All poker begins as a struggle for the antes. If there where no antes, there would be no reason to play.
The size of the antes in relation to future bets determines how loose you should play.

Theory of Poker

This makes perfectly sense in a 7 card stud game, where you are likely to get one bet on every street and the ante is whatever, you quickly can estimate how much money you on average get in return on each hand, you have immediate pot odds and it dertermines your starting hands range.

But can this be translated into NL hold'em.

I mean, you are sitting with 100bbs, which seems huge compared to future betsizes, but !!!

There are dynamics to be considered. One is average potsize .... if it is a nitty rockish table

then average pot is small and you can loosen up

but when at a lagtard table, you should tighnen up, but be willing to push you pf edges very hard ???

A few words on these dynamics ????

[/ QUOTE ]

A couple of things, if you realize that the poker is a struggle for the antes, the corollary to this is that a certain hand strength has a optimal potsize. If you get the pot to big postflop you give up too much in implied odds. If you get it to small you give up too much value.

A nitty rockish table, I would be looking for individual weakness of players. Does one player make the pot to big with AA or does another player keep it too small.

At a laggish table, I would be willing to play bigger pots with more marginal hands b/c they play too big of pots with too many hands.
Old 04-17-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100bb stacks, folded to you on CO/button and you raise with XX to 4bb and a decent 22/19/3 regular (probably a 2p2er) 3bets to 14-16bb.

AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT
AKs
AKo

Are there any dynamics that you can talk about that would change these % (for example assume you call AA 50% but you feel he is tilting and you have 4bet/3bet him a fair bit recently and think he is going to play back at a small 4bet, obviously you would 4bet AA more often) Are there other situations which would make you 4bet more/less with certain hands?

Another question, obviously you are raising a ton of hands from CO/button as most of us do/should. When you get 3bet from the blinds how often do you defend with hands like 67s, QTs, 44 with 100bb stacks. Do you feel like calling in position here in 3bet pots is a huge leak? I'm pretty sure ive seen people like cts say they will call in position here with a large amount of their raising range - what are your thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends alot on how much control I have over the player and how large I perceive their reraising range to be. 90% of the time my actions in these spots are player specific.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT
AKs
AKo

[/ QUOTE ]

This depends alot on how much control I have over the player and how large I perceive their reraising range to be. 90% of the time my actions in these spots are player specific.

[/ QUOTE ]

cmon, you can do better than that.

Ok change the example. A new pokersite opens up tomorrow and you make a new account there. You can use pokertracker and you play for ~150 hands and find someone who is 23/19/3, but you obviously don't have a great read on him yet.

Now imagine he is the guy repopping you. I mean im aware this is situational, but for lowerstake games you can't know players as well as you can for the higher ones since the playerpool is so much bigger. I'm also not expecting you to give exact %s, just give a rough guess at what you would do in these spots in general vs a player you don't know very well, but based on his stats can have a reasonable repopping range and probably plays fairly well.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:02 PM

What do you think of this hand?
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=1#Post9996126

Any live experience?

How long did it take you to build a roll? Can you take us through a small timeline?
Old 04-17-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

AA
KK
QQ
JJ
TT
AKs
AKo

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cmon, you can do better than that.

Ok change the example. A new pokersite opens up tomorrow and you make a new account there. You can use pokertracker and you play for ~150 hands and find someone who is 23/19/3, but you obviously don't have a great read on him yet.

Now imagine he is the guy repopping you. I mean im aware this is situational, but for lowerstake games you can't know players as well as you can for the higher ones since the playerpool is so much wider. I'm also not expecting you to give exact %s, just give a rough guess at what you would do in these spots in general vs a player you don't know very well, but based on his stats can have a reasonable repopping range and probably plays fairly well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Echo if I play 150 hands with someone I'm going to know whether or not I'm playing like CTS or like a nit in this spot. By the time the pt states come up, I usually have a pretty good idea on what type of 23/19 he is.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:09 PM

you really don't want to answer my question do you!

Ok fine, i am determined to get a better reply. You are playing 5/10. I sit at the table and wait for the blind, you are button and raise whatever, i reraise you 3.5 times that.

Now what do you do with those hands.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you think of this hand?
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...e=1#Post9996126

Any live experience?

How long did it take you to build a roll? Can you take us through a small timeline?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm checkraising the river.

Probably 100-150 hrs last year mainly 10/20 25/50 played as high as 100/200

December 2004 4500 dollars roll April 2005 $30K roll playing 3/6 May-Aug 2005 1/2NL Sept 2005 5/10NL Nov 2005 $80,000 roll take a leave of absence from school. Sept 2006 return to school start playing 10/20NL. May 2007 graduate.