Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Halo 3: Post your likes & dislikes of multiplayer

So the game has been out for a week now and many of us have logged a lot of hours on MM already. Over 1M people play online on any given day. Anyway, I wanted to have a place for us to share what we really like about the game and what we think Bungie should change. I'll start

Weapons

I like the new weapons like the spiker and the gravity hammer. I like that they evened out the BR and the sniper. No more auto-aim makes it much more skillfull to use. The rocket launcher is less useful due to it not being able to lock on to vehicles. I find the laser very hard to use. The needler seems to be the best midranged weapon if used correctly. Overall the weapons are much more even. There isn't a weapon that's good for close, mid and far range like the BR in 2. One thing that needs to change is how powerful the Covenant shotgun is. Dual wield those and the game becomes 'you win'.

Grenades

Only two of each grenade really sucks, but the new stick to anything grenade is awesome. For a future enhancement I think the splash area needs to be bigger. I've thrown grenades that should kill a guy, but it doesn't even take off his shields because he strafed 2 steps.

Bashing

Bashing is one of the key elements to win online. 6 bullets + Bash = dead. They need to fix that IMO. 40% of my deaths are due to bashing. Also, somehow I get assassinations (or get assassinated) when facing my enemy head on. That needs to be fixed as well. There needs to be some sort of balance between bashing on H3 and the weak bashing when H2 first came out. It just needs to be tweaked so that you need to put in at least 1/3 a clip from the AR before a bash kills.

Armor

I love the new armor, but Bungie needs to have more IMO. Every MM game has at least one guy w/ the samarai armor.

Accessories

I really like this new element to the game. Grav lifts, power drains, regens and radar jammers give a great extra element to the game. Try throwing a grav lift in front of a ghost for fun.

Maps

There is something to be desired here. There just isn't enough maps right now. I'm sure this will change as it is brand new, but come on. There are like 6 maps.

Forge

Haven't really gotten into this, so if anyone has uploaded or downloaded a new map from Forge should comment on how well that works. It's a good idea though nonetheless.

Game Types

On FFA I really enjoy the non-slayer games like oddball and KOTH. Team Slayer is really fun, but I hate, and I mean HATE shotty snipers. Shotguns are more like a game of chicken head on, otherwise its who sees who first and I suck at sniping for the most part. It also seems headshots aren't registering as often. Overall, same basic games and I like the mixup on FFA between slayer, oddball and KOTH.

Button Glitches

I'm talking about ways to reload, bash, and shoot faster due to fast button combinations for a competitive edge. For the most part the glitches found in H3 are useless. I find this to be a good thing because as you ranked up in H2 w/out using button glitches you would peak because everyone was double shooting, double bashing, shoot/bash combo killing you out of nowhere. I hope noone finds any useful ones out because I like the game as is.

Overall

Overall I think H3 has lived up to the hype and is overall a great game and a good reason to purchase the 360. It's thoroughly addicting. I believe after a few months a release will come out w/ some fixes to the glitches, more maps, and some overall tweaking to make the game more fun for everyone. I also like how there are many H2 players that were in the 30's having a difficult time w/ H3 and straight up complain/whine about how H2 is so much better. Halo 3 is a new game and is fun in its own right. Post things you really like or things you would want changed.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:21 AM

Default Re: Halo 3: Post your likes & dislikes of multiplayer

[ QUOTE ]
Grenades

Only two of each grenade really sucks, but the new stick to anything grenade is awesome. For a future enhancement I think the splash area needs to be bigger. I've thrown grenades that should kill a guy, but it doesn't even take off his shields because he strafed 2 steps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty sure that Bungie purposefully toned down the splash radius on 'nades. I remember reading that somewhere.

[ QUOTE ]
Game Types

On FFA I really enjoy the non-slayer games like oddball and KOTH. Team Slayer is really fun, but I hate, and I mean HATE shotty snipers. Shotguns are more like a game of chicken head on, otherwise its who sees who first and I suck at sniping for the most part. It also seems headshots aren't registering as often. Overall, same basic games and I like the mixup on FFA between slayer, oddball and KOTH.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also pretty sure they toned down the auto-aim mechanism on the sniper rifle so this is probably why you arent seeing as many headshots register. THats a good and a bad for me. I suck at sniping so I will probably suck even more now but at least it'll be a little tougher for skilled snipers to pop me.

Anyhow, thanks for the summary. I will post my impressions once I actually play some MP. Still working through the campaign. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-03-2007, 11:53 AM

I really dislike the sand map and Snowbound. The rest are pretty decent though. I feel like the SMG, pistols, and plasma rifle are pretty worthless. I mostly stick to the AR/brute shot/shotty in close and it seems to work well for me.

Also, I really like all the crazy variants, but the jerks always veto the cool stuff so we can play the imaginative 'team slayer' for the umpteenth time.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 AM

RE: Grenades

I know they diminished the splash range, I just don't particularily like it very much. I wish it was only slightly bigger w/ the same damage.

RE: Snipers/BR

I love that the auto-aim is off. People were way too good w/ these weapons in H2 to the point that everyone only equipped those 2. Making sniping harder is def a good thing IMO.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I really dislike the sand map and Snowbound. The rest are pretty decent though. I feel like the SMG, pistols, and plasma rifle are pretty worthless. I mostly stick to the AR/brute shot/shotty in close and it seems to work well for me.

Also, I really like all the crazy variants, but the jerks always veto the cool stuff so we can play the imaginative 'team slayer' for the umpteenth time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like those maps and really like all the maps except the really big one w/ the two bases (I forget the name). I just wish there were more of them...

I haven't had any team variations besides shotty/snipers, what team games have you played?

Dual wielding the SMG is a pretty good weapon, but finding 2 can be challenging. I also stick w/ the AR, but will take the shotty or gravity hammer/sword for close range, neeler/BR for mid range and try not to deal w/ long range fighting.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:16 PM

more maps would be better, but that's bound to increase over time...

u guys have any comments on the type of games, vip, etc...

i too have noticed the diminished effectiveness of grenades because of lack of radius...

need to try out the needler some more, i still have a weak view on it from H2...
Old 10-03-2007, 12:24 PM

Here's a button glitch: you can melee twice quicker by pressing melee, grenade, switch weapons, then melee.

Also, I think that the needler can be dodged by jumping, but I haven't really tested that (only seen and tried it in game)

Overall, I think the multiplayer is decent. I agree that the maps could be better. I defintely like the decreased autoaim.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:41 PM

I played about 20 team games with a couple friends last night and had a blast even though I mostly suck. We never saw any variation other than Shotty/Sniper. Overall I liked the maps and absolutely loved how the snipers have been downgraded. I used to be dead before I knew from snipers it in H2, but now I can actually survive if I react quick enough.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a button glitch: you can melee twice quicker by pressing melee, grenade, switch weapons, then melee.

Also, I think that the needler can be dodged by jumping, but I haven't really tested that (only seen and tried it in game)

Overall, I think the multiplayer is decent. I agree that the maps could be better. I defintely like the decreased autoaim.

[/ QUOTE ]

The button glitch is only slightly faster. Pretty useless IMO and its not going to do an autokill like in H2.

The needler can be dodged. It's best as a midrange weapon, attacking those who can't see you right outside the radar. If you can surprise someone it's almost an auto kill, but I think you need to land about half a clip.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:45 PM

What is the covenant shotgun?