Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2007, 09:53 PM

Default Adjusting To 6-Max Limit?

I can beat the low stakes full games but when i try to move up in stakes there is usualy only 6-max games and i have trouble with them. do you have any advice or know of any liturature on 6-max LO8?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:54 AM

Default Re: Adjusting To 6-Max Limit?

Use the Search function and search for 6 max. Go at least 2 years out on the backdata. You might have to play around w/ it to get to the good posts, but there are some back there.

Basically, 6max can be really hard to adjust to, you have to play more aggressive and you will have big swings. It requires being patient/not tilting. Also, I would stay away from games with 4 players or less unless you know the players well.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:02 AM

my recommendation is to play a lot of hu and develop your hand reading skills. play at the micros if you don't want to risk losing too much for your education. once you can read hands better and make appropriate adjustments, then 6max becomes a lot easier.

fwiw, typical fr nut peddlers will have a harder time in 6max games since people will ram and jam with much lighter values (i.e., not the nuts). this is why hand reading is key.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
fwiw, typical fr nut peddlers will have a harder time in 6max games since people will ram and jam with any 4 cards

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-15-2007, 08:44 AM

thanks but i realy suck at searching. do you guys have any links to any articles online written about 6max?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:31 PM

One thing that comes to my mind are start hand rankings.
In full ring the pots will be multi-way so a hand like A223 is great but short-handed its quite trashy it almost doesnt have scoop potential heads-up.

So 1 on 1 AJJ5 or even 6543 is far better because you play it both ways, and full ring such hands would be losing proposition.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:36 PM

God does variance suck at 6-max [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-17-2007, 06:59 PM

i need help here too
Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can beat the low stakes full games but when i try to move up in stakes there is usualy only 6-max games and i have trouble with them. do you have any advice or know of any liturature on 6-max LO8?

[/ QUOTE ]

meh. 6 max. the bane of my online existence. first of all, it takes a 20,000 hand sample size before you can draw any type of conclusion about your winrate, the true variance, and all other statistical material. i say 20,000 because my numbers at 20,000 hands were reflective of my numbers at 50,000 hands. i think you can make some solid conclusions after 10,000 hands of full ring, especially when it comes to leaks in your game, i.e., when i first put PT on my PC, i realized i was spewing in the SB, and that helped me tremendously.

back to 6 max...i've run unbelievably hot for stretches of 5,000 hands. like 6BB/100. but i knew i wasn't anywhere near that winrate over a large sample size. in a six max game it's not uncommon for me to have 100 BB swings over a thousand hands, where as I've never seen that in full ring.

for some time now i've been collaborating my hands and ideas on LO8 with the intention of one day being able to call it a book, albeit with the help of others, and i'd say a large chunk is dedicated to 6 max play due to the fact that there is so much of it online, and there is literally no definitive literature (on LO8 imho) on 6 max play. i see posts in this forum every week that sound like someone who is used to playing a low variance full ring game steps into a 6 max game and gets obliterated by the aggression and the variance. players who otherwise are likely some kind of winner at some limit, but get destroyed in 6 handed games.

my advice is to learn it at the micro limits, and i reccomend having 300 big bets if you plan on playing 6 max, and playing 6 max profitably imo has much more to do with playing specifically the flop correctly, as opposed to full ring where the critical street is the turn. in short order, too many 6 max players play nearly every hand preflop, which isn't terrible b/c a lot of hands are very close in value preflop, but they get into trouble b/c they're used to calling a lot of flops with a lot of hands, and it seems as though once they call the turn they're going to showdown with anything that resembles a high hand or a low hand. i.e., misplaying the flop leads to them misplaying the entire hand.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
One thing that comes to my mind are start hand rankings.
In full ring the pots will be multi-way so a hand like A223 is great but short-handed its quite trashy it almost doesnt have scoop potential heads-up.

So 1 on 1 AJJ5 or even 6543 is far better because you play it both ways, and full ring such hands would be losing proposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

A223 is quite trashy short handed? I really disagree. Please, let me have that hand everytime in and handed LO8 game. You can have 3456.