Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-2007, 10:43 PM

Default Re: tell us about your job

What do you do? My official title is "Environmental Services Technician" but that doesn't tell you much. I work for a civil engineering consulting firm and I mostly do field work for projects that need some kind of government approval and that is mostly environmental related.

Do you like it? The people are (mostly) great but the work sucks since I'm low man on the totem pole and always will be.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? I'm well-suited because I'm smart. I'm the only one in our company that does this kind of work that doesn't have a degree in either Environ Science, Environ Engineering or Civil Engineering. However, I'm also poorly suited because I don't have a degree. None of my actual work gets validated in my name. I do the work and someone else (with a degree) takes credit for it.

What kind of people do best in your work? People who at least somewhat care about the environment. A lot of the work I do is for the eventual destruction of such environmental features so it's probably best to not be a tree-hugger (extremely passionate). You must be albe to at least stand working outdoors if not enjoy though unless you enjoy the cubicle farm. You also need to pay attention to fine print details and be able to put up with government and client imbeciles.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? A college degree is pretty much mandatory. I sort of lucked into my job from knowing the right people and proving to them I could do the work.

What is a typical day like? There is no such thing as a typical day, but I can say what I did today. I had to be at a power plant this morning by 8AM. They want to add "scrubbers" to their facility that are used to reduce emissions (at this plant it will reduce S02 by 98%) and part of this project is to put in a new stack. They are filling in mines under this area with grout and concrete, which is where I come in because I am certified in testing these to make sure they are up to specs. Today we had 5 concrete trucks (all of which needed tested and 1 truck had samples collected that will be pressure tested in a lab). The pour lasted from 8AM to 1PM when the concrete pump broke down. In between testing the concrete trucks, I also had to test and get samples of the grout. Got out of the plant around 2:30 today after doing my paper work and then had to take samples that I made on Friday to the lab.

All in all, it's not really hard work. It killed my back the first couple days but then I got used to it. Tomorrow they're not pouring so I'll have an easy day before going on vacation for San Diego. If you're interested at all, here's the power plant on google maps. Currently, we're working maybe 100 feet off that river (Allegheny).

What kind of problems do you encounter? Well, since I'm the bitchboy and [censored] flows downstream, I'm covered in [censored] all the time.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Trying to understand what my boss is saying. He's from Thailand and has lived here for like 30 years, yet it's near impossible to understand him.

How much do you make? $25k *sigh

How much can one expect to make in your position? If my position included a degree to go with my work experience and training, easily double what I make.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:55 PM

What do you do? play poker, hustle golf, collect rent, book bets, "consult" for a company that lends money to illegal aliens, co-own a mexican collection agency w/ the ceo of the company i "consult" with. lament that my berkshire stock is stagnant. oh, and i married well.

Do you like it? cant hate it. really wouldnt change a thing. i would like to increase my golf % but its already ridiculous and the wife would object.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? growing up in the woods, running away from home, knowing i could lose it all and earn it back, ruthlessness, love for chaos/actually searching out chaotic situations.

What kind of people do best in your work? people who are willing to work their ass off in order not to work (hustlers), people who will end up dead if they dont get married. people who view everything as a game where they know perfect strategy, know theyll never be better than 60/40 on average and arent afraid to lose

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? would you bet everything (THAT ISNT YOUR WIFES) on a coin flip getting 60/40? can you deternmne your getting the best of it, beforehand, in a chaotic situation that you couldnt have prepared for?
What is a typical day like? get up before my t-time make and espresso, check the view/weather and let the dog piss. play some golf, head to the finance co. probably w/ someone i was golfing w/. return some e-mails. check some bets. call the mexican co. make sure the govt. hasnt seized it. go back to the course. putt for dough. in the old days i would have played poker all night but now i usually just go home, try to cook something, have a cigar and wine and watch the sunset.

What kind of problems do you encounter? before i got married...none. since i got married...extreme boredom. but the boredom is somehow fulfilling

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? frustration, losing. elation, winning. super elation, creating a situation where over time i cant lose. super duper elation birdie no. 4 at riviera.

How much do you make? 250k avg. last 5 years. it goes up and down but its way more than i can spend. i really have no use for the things most people want, cars clothes, jewelry, and my wife can afford her own bobbles.

How much can one expect to make in your position? most are dead broke w/ clinical ring around the collar trying to win $1000 bucks by losing 25 pounds in a week so they can play in the next "last chance" tourney at the la poker classic.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:00 PM

people who are willing to work their ass off in order not to work (hustlers),

people who will end up dead if they dont get married.

I dont want to de-rail the thread, but your first point describes me also, something I couldnt put into words. The 2nd part limon, Ive been recently thinking about, I am pretty sure we are cut from the same cloth, have some of the same areas of business (moneylending, sports etc) and I hvae the feeling that w/o a wife to calm me down its going to rough times ahead, but I really dont want to settle down yet. Honestly enough, I feel that I teeter on the edge of complete degeneracy, and complete normalcy. at what point did you figure out when to get married, or was it not a planned thing?
Old 02-26-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am bored at my job, so I will tell you about it.

What do you do? poker / internet consultancy stuff.

Do you like it? Not much. it provides money, but I feel like my life is missing a major component that itneeds to make it complete.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? logical, disciplined, lack of ego, able to access situations without getting emotionally involved

What kind of people do best in your work? intelligent/disciplined people who are willing to work hard for themselves and don't like working for someone else

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? none

What is a typical day like? wake up around midday. go out for a walk to wake up and have a cig. read 2+2 for an hour or so while having breakfast and waking up. reply to emails/do some coding for an hour or two. play poker until 6. chill and make make food, then either go out or play poker til about midnight, get food, relax for a few hours and go to bed.

What kind of problems do you encounter? don't meet people outside of my social group. when I was working at a company I used to curse these people, however now I miss the social interaction with other people even if I think they're [censored].

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? most people would probably say long losing stretches, however I really am past them now. my biggest problem is prolonged stretches where I don't meet new people and feel like I'm just stuck at home with nothing going on in my life and I'm gonna die lonely when I'm 60.

How much do you make? who's to say, but I'd be surprised if it's outside 250-400k this year.

How much can one expect to make in your position? depends totally on how much you are willing to put into it (and now where you live).
Old 02-26-2007, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
people who are willing to work their ass off in order not to work (hustlers),

people who will end up dead if they dont get married.

I dont want to de-rail the thread, but your first point describes me also, something I couldnt put into words. The 2nd part limon, Ive been recently thinking about, I am pretty sure we are cut from the same cloth, have some of the same areas of business (moneylending, sports etc) and I hvae the feeling that w/o a wife to calm me down its going to rough times ahead, but I really dont want to settle down yet. Honestly enough, I feel that I teeter on the edge of complete degeneracy, and complete normalcy. at what point did you figure out when to get married, or was it not a planned thing?

[/ QUOTE ]

i was in a long distance relationship w/ my highschool sweetie for 11 years. it was a cream dream....for me. once she earned her PhD she gave the ultimatum and i made the wise choice to get married. it helps shes bi and the first few years were a wild party. i needed that sort of transition or i wouldnt have made it. most (maybe all) great hustlers are married the single ones end up on the rail. marriage forces you to choose only the best hustles and not chase every coin flip. also the life of a hustler is very lonely becuase few can understand or would condone most of what you do so a partner in crime who knows everything helps somehow.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:17 PM

Thanks, and it makes sense, I guess I gravitate towards chicks that can keep up my pace and party as hard as I do, I just cant focus on only 1. Im focusing this year on golf, Im not very good, but its an area that I would like to expand as I think poker/sports/lending will feed off the people I meet on the course. can I get a rundown on how you got started/what I should know, where ar the best places to play, etc. my cousin is working the clubhouse at a decent public course this summer, so I plan on getting out there 4 or 5 datys a week.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks, and it makes sense, I guess I gravitate towards chicks that can keep up my pace and party as hard as I do, I just cant focus on only 1. Im focusing this year on golf, Im not very good, but its an area that I would like to expand as I think poker/sports/lending will feed off the people I meet on the course. can I get a rundown on how you got started/what I should know, where ar the best places to play, etc. my cousin is working the clubhouse at a decent public course this summer, so I plan on getting out there 4 or 5 datys a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

look for my thread in oot on hustling golf.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:24 PM

cool, thanks, I read some of that thread before, for some reason I didnt think you were the op, anyways thanks again.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:41 PM

What do you do? Equity options trader

Do you like it? Yes, quite a bit.

What makes you in particular well-suited or poorly-suited for your work? I have pretty strong analytical skills and good gambling/gaming instincts.

What kind of people do best in your work? Strong analytical thinkers who are able to evaluate situations quickly and without bias.

What qualifications are necessary for people considering work in the same field as you? Nothing.

What is a typical day like? This would take a longer answer, but I'll sum it up quickly. I get to my office around 8:15 and check over yesterday's stuff and talk with co-workers about any work issues. At 8:45 I head down to the trading floor to get ready for the day. Market is open from 9:30-4:00 and I'm trading all day.

What kind of problems do you encounter? Only problem is that nobody is a perfect trader.

What are the biggest (most common) sources of frustration and elation? Winning and losing

How much can one expect to make in your position? I know options traders who make less than 100k a year, I know many that make over $1 million.
Old 02-27-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
most (maybe all) great hustlers are married the single ones end up on the rail. marriage forces you to choose only the best hustles and not chase every coin flip. also the life of a hustler is very lonely becuase few can understand or would condone most of what you do so a partner in crime who knows everything helps somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see alot of you in me Limon except this one part. If you have been with ur girly for 11 years + marriage how much hustle did you have for women? I have dated girls for 12/15 years of my life and the last 2 years off were amazing. I agree with missing a night or two with someone/ some of that confort, but otherwise I have an open-end ticket everyday to enjoy the world. If this is life on the rail then I am a bird.

fyc