Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2006, 09:59 PM

Default What Specific Policies Would You Inact?

If you were made "president" of the United States. For the sake of simplicity, don't worry about silly things like the legislative or judicial branches or political capital. You can do whatever the hell you want.

What changes would you make, what time frame would it take for them to be effectively put in place (if applicable) and what do you think the effects would be?
Old 05-04-2006, 10:02 PM

Default Re: What Specific Policies Would You Inact?

Dissolve the union.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:03 PM

I would put term limits in the house and senate. This would make buying off lawmakers prohibitively expensive for many lobbyists as there is a limited time horizon for dividends on already paid bribes. If any special interests were successful at getting harmful legislation through, it would be fairly easy to undo with the next crop of fresh representatives.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:04 PM

Simple. Formation of the HMKBJ committee. This serves my ends and protects national resources, as well as incentivizing productivity (they don't call it a "job" for nothin'!)
Old 05-05-2006, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Simple. Formation of the HMKBJ committee. This serves my ends and protects national resources, as well as incentivizing productivity (they don't call it a "job" for nothin'!)

[/ QUOTE ]

nice
Old 05-05-2006, 03:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would put term limits in the house and senate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exsub and I agree on something. I'm simply amazed.
Old 05-05-2006, 04:28 AM

Wow, I just realized I spelled it "inact" in the thread title. I am a [censored].
Old 05-05-2006, 06:02 AM

1) simplest most effective policy the US government could accomplish "relatively" quickly is to privatize education through some form of single payer/voucher system, as it would immediately reshape the entire incentive system of teachers/administors.

2) I'd allow for somewhat limited but much freer immigration.

3) I'd talk to Iran, because as weird as it sounds we have a lot more interests in common than we think, and fewer policies where we're really at odds.

PS. I think healthcare falls under the same as number one, but is much more difficult to inact. In education you can just give each student a voucher for X dollars that the state would have spent, it's very simple and straightfoward (I'd however weigh it progressively, I.E. people with little money get more education vouchers up to what the state currently pays). Medicine just isn't that simple and requires layers and layers more buerocracy. That reform would not be early on in a JDanz presidency.

Also things that need fixing are the tax code/social security/pension system, but none are as easy to really overhaul as the first 3 i posted. I'd probably very early on up the SS age, and change the pension system for incomming workers. The first would be phased in and have an immediate effect the later wouldn't be seen for 20 years.

I'd also decrease military spending on operations, but increase on technology and efficency. I'm pretty sure that'd be a net reduction. This would go to buying off pensioners and paying down the debt.

Education would almost certainly cost less overall, but i really think the big budget stuff has to more or less come from Defense/Healthcare which are FAR and away the biggest gov costs, and some of the hardest to reduce.

All the other stuff is kinda rambling and not as solid as the first three. The first three i'd be moving towards the day i sat down at my desk.
Old 05-05-2006, 06:23 AM

Hey just a hijack, if a candiate stated my views from above, what party would you assume them to be?
Old 05-05-2006, 06:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey just a hijack, if a candiate stated my views from above, what party would you assume them to be?

[/ QUOTE ]

Libertarian Party would be the closest, I think.