Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2007, 01:35 AM

Default Re: is buying a nicaraguan island stupid?

OP if you buy this island I am serious... PM me... I would definitely be willing to work for little pay to help you to whatever moderately skilled tasks you needed done. I have a year or two to kill and I wouldn't mind chilling on an island for a while.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:04 PM

Here's what a dude I know in the Peace Corps in Nicaragua said:

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know anything about that place and I haven't been to Granada yet, but I can pretty much say that it's overpriced and that Granada is full of gringos.

He'll have to hire full-time security guards because I'm sure that kind of place is really flashy and he's prolly gonna get robbed. There are a lot of boat tours that leave from Granada and go around Lake Nicaragua, so there are probably a lot of tourists that will go by during the day.

Also, Lake Nicaragua is polluted (not as bad as Lake Managua) and you wouldn't want to swim in it. Other than those considerations, it looks pretty cool. Granada is a cool city by all accounts, if a little expensive for Nicaragua.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-28-2007, 01:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also if i buy this island i pretty much have to buy a helicopter or private water jet thing, cuz im not gonna boat for 4 hours to get there, thats just stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you buy an island you're also pretty much required to start wearing a cape and hunting men for sport.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Lago de Nicaragua is polluted and you might not want to swim in it too much, but that's true of most Nicaraguan lakes.

If you're actually thinking about moving to Nicaragua you need to know what you are getting into. Electricity in all of Nicaragua is unreliable at best and water is sporadic. I don't think many ballers take bucket baths every day.

Granada is a pretty nice touristy place and you have plenty of options for groceries and whatever else you might need for daily life but then occasionally you'll want something that can only be obtained in Managua and that sucks. You'll also need to speak Spanish to communicate with your staff and to get around.

There's tons of beautiful stuff to see and the cost of living is relatively low (but higher in Granada where there are gringo prices for everything). I really love it here, but you will likely have to go without some of the things that you are used to, or pay a lot for it (almost no one has AC because electricity makes it unreasonable). I'd recommend both Living Abroad in Nicaragua and the Moon Handbook to get an idea of the country.

You would probably have much better luck living down here (you could even take Spanish classes if you needed to) for a while and looking for land near San Juan del Sur or another Pacific Ocean city.
Old 06-29-2007, 01:07 PM

soooo - what it do
Old 06-29-2007, 01:18 PM

WOTCH OUT FOR SQUATERS LOL!
Old 06-29-2007, 03:27 PM

Hah. I looked into buying an island about 6 months ago, and this was one of em. Most of the ones I could afford were in Nicarauga, and, I did some research, and it seems like Nicarauga kinda sucks, and it didn't sound like a good investment. But, still balla to own an island.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:15 PM

does it come with the naked grandma in the pool?
Old 06-29-2007, 05:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and it seems like Nicarauga kinda sucks, and it didn't sound like a good investment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah this is why I'm really confused at GoG's post about owning land in Nicaragua. Unless he is on some sweet quest to own land in every country it doesn't make any sense to me. I know he asked BZ to PM him, but maybe he could post more about it?

Don't get me wrong I had a great time in Nicaragua even though it has its problems, but I was so confused when I met 10 different people who said things like "we'll I'm just traveling around Nicaragua right now looking for work, I'll probably be here for a few months" and I just wondered why they wouldn't live in a better place if they are just kind of floating through life right now. Also why the hell they'd work down there for $5/day instead of just working hard at home and saving enough money so they wouldn't have to work on their trip. Uh, most of them were pretty dumb though. So I guess I just answered my own question.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:45 PM

I can say from personal experience that owning a Nicaraguan Island is teh pwn. Dont let all the hatas get you down OP.