Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2007, 06:32 PM

Default sexy

Villain is a taggish regular who value bets and bluffs aggressively, usually in good spots for it. I don't think he trusts me much in general but I literally never sexy and hardly ever make out of tempo moves. Fwiw Im an aggressive player who check-raises a lot of flops.

villain raises in Hijack, fish calls in CO, hero calls 66 in BB

flop Qc 9c 6h
hero checks, villain bets, fish folds, hero raises, villain calls

turn Ah
hero bets, villain calls

river 2s
hero checks...

i thought there was a fair amount of value in inducing a bluff on this board and thought hed have a pretty easy valuebet IMO with even Qx, not sure he always calls the check-raise though with just a Q or an A for that matter?
Old 02-04-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Re: sexy

I like it. He will check behind with a queen most likely, but he would probably have 3bet the flop with that anyways. So unless he has an ace he is not likely to call a bet, but will almost always bet/call if he has it.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:21 PM

I do this on occasion against aggressive players I've seen alot just so I don't get too predictable. This helps create more cheap showdowns in the future against a strong thinking regular foe who bluffs and value bets at the right times. If he has an ace you might be collecting 2 bets here. Any other hand except maybe JT or a busted flush draw is probably checking behind for free showdown thereby losing you a bet. You might gain a bet against a busted draw by playing it this way.

Overall I think you are losing a little EV in this one hand while increasing your longer term EV against this regular.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:24 PM

I don't like it. Your check/folding range that plays this way is basically JT and busted club draws so why would he bluff? He'll probably raise a bet with Ax anyway.
Old 02-04-2007, 07:28 PM

I think he puts you on a club draw often enough that this is a value bet against JJ not to mention the small chance to bet/3-bet. You will always get a call from Ax/Qx but not always a bet from Qx
Old 02-04-2007, 08:12 PM

I prefer a screwplay.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 PM

From a textbook standpoint, Whenever you have a hand thats strong enough to 3bet a river raise, you should only go for a sexy when 1) the villain is very unlikely to raise the river and 2) The villain's hand is clearly defined(ie you have a strong idea what he has) and you strongly believe he will bet the river with "that hand" if you check but he will only call you if you bet.

In your hand jstill, The villain's hand is still very undefined. He would have TT, JJ,Qx, a hand like K9s, or a hand like Ax. Notice how large the villain's range is, and notice how many hands he could have that will gladly check this river. Losing a bet on the river here by allowing the villain to check down a marginal hand would be a large disapointment.

So from a textbook perspective going for a river check/raise would be a tactical mistake. With no read, the clear best play on this river is to bet/3bet. However you have a read jstill, and this may be the perfect time to make the wrong play for the right reasons. If you believe this tag is bettin with a lot more hands then hes calling with then follow your read and sexy him to death.

Bonus: Heres a prefect example of a hand played by thehip41 where sexying the river is the textbook right play.

Thehip41 has TT and opens in MP. A lagtag CO 3bets him and the BB calls, and thehip41 calls. The flop comes out AT3r. Checked to lagtag and he bets, the BB calls, and thehip41 check/raises. The lagtag 3bets, the BB folds and Thehip calls. Turn is a 7. Thehip bets, the lagtag raises and thehip 3bets and the lagtag calls. The river is an Ace. Thehip checks, the lagtag bets, thehip raised and the lagtag calls with his A9 hand and loses. Notice how this is a standard river sexy? Thehip new exactly what the villain had, and he also knew that the villain was very unlikely to raise the river after that turn action, but he also knew that nobody online has the ability to check trips on the river, so check/raising the river was the clear best play.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I prefer a screwplay.

[/ QUOTE ]

bet/3bet >>> turn c/r

Edit:

I wrote my reply before I read ILP's story about getting a hard on thinking about how good i play [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

this edit has no point other than to say i love Lag/tags [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 02-05-2007, 01:10 AM

In the actual hand I just bet and he called with QJ. Im trying to identify spots to maybe start incorporating that into my game a bit against certain opponents I think it would be useful to exploit their tendencies with, and I thought about it here so figured Id see if it was rite. At the time I didn't just because I thought the types of hands hed bet and call a raise with I might get to 3bet so (not really as loose aggressive a player as u'd like perhaps)...

thanks for that post ILP very helpful things to think about I hadn't heard that before.