Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2007, 04:47 PM

Default Am I doing OK...?

Thanks in advance for any comments....
I just got Poker Tracker last week and am trying to understand how it can help me get better. It's pretty complicated for a 50 year old non geek like me. Anyways, I really don't know what my stats should be to be considered playing well.
I play two tables at a time, .10/25 on Stars and have now logged 2,290 hands. I think I play TAG, but I'm not sure how others see me.
At this time I have won $117.00 since tracking.
Which stats should I really be watching?
BB/100 is 9.37 and I have played a total of 34.22 hours.
Help?
Thanks,
Wheat/"/"/"
Old 09-13-2007, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Am I doing OK...?

Hi, Wheat

I am new to PT like you, but I have posted some of my stats here as well and can give you an idea of what you need to post so other more experienced players can help you.

First off, they are going to tell you that 2,000 hands is not enough for any definitive summary, but it might be OK for a preliminary look. Most say you need at least 10k hands for any substantial analysis.

If you go to the General info tab in PT (the first tab) and click on the "more details" icon it will give you a nice summary of the more pertinent stats. I suggest you post here the VPIP, saw flop %, blind steal and blind defense, raised pre-flop %, and Total Aggression Factor. These should give you a general idea of whether you are TAG.

Later.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play two tables at a time, .10/25 on Stars and have now logged 2,290 hands. I think I play TAG, but I'm not sure how others see me. At this time I have won $117.00 since tracking. BB/100 is 9.37

[/ QUOTE ]

Your stats are pretty meaningless at this point. Even your VP$IP hasn't started converging. And I can guarantee you that you will not sustain 9BB/100 rate. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you are super awesome winning player. 2K hands is a minor blip on the radar.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:23 PM

Thanks for the quick replies...
Rook, I'll study that detail tab more.
I realize it is way too early to think the stats mean all that much, and I think I play solid but know I have a lot to learn.
Here are some more stats if anyone wishes to comment...
VP$IP 15.22
PFR% 6.88
W$SD 53.85
BB won/Hand -0.16
SB won/Hand -0.02
PF Raise % 6.85
Raise first in % 4.37
Cold Call PF % 1.51
PF AF 0.76
Flop AF 1.65
Can anyone spot the beginnings of bad trends? Good ones?
Thanks,
Wheat/"/"/"
Old 09-14-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2,290 hands

[/ QUOTE ]

Your stats are pretty meaningless at this point. Even your VP$IP hasn't started converging. And I can guarantee you that you will not sustain 9BB/100 rate. Don't fall into the trap of thinking that you are super awesome winning player. 2K hands is a minor blip on the radar.

[/ QUOTE ]

VPIP and PFR are based on binary variables, they converge pretty quickly (assuming each of his hands are independent, which is probably close enough to true if he doesn't megatilt). Right now the standard deviation for his VPIP measure is less than 1%... given his play so far a 95% confidence interval for his VPIP is 13.72% to 16.72%. Similarly a 95% confidence interval for his PFR is 5.82% to 7.94%.

For your stakes you're on the TAGy side, but I'd recommend limping a little less. Depending on what style you pursue, you should either be raising more of the hands you're limping with or folding more of them (or possibly both). If you see yourself as a TAG, try limping slightly less.

Your raise first in % should probably be higher but I don't know for sure at your stakes, and it is a small sample so it may be a fluke. Steal the blinds a lot if they're reasonable players and it's folded to you in late position.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:37 AM

Hey,

Here's a link to another post that covers a lot of useful stats analysis you can do yourself with Poker Tracker;

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showfl...part=1&vc=1

It answered a lot of questions I had about using the program in a meaningful fashion. Also, if you want to get an un-biased analysis of your playing hit the "auto-rate" button (its avatar is an eagle on my version). On the first page make sure you have allowed it to auto-rate you. It will then tell you (according to the criteria I believe found on the 3rd tab) what type of player you are.

Hope that helps.