Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes

Old 11-18-2007, 01:46 AM

Default What are the standard raise/re-raise/ bet amounts?

Ok I've been looking through the FAQ and see the standard pre-flop raise is 3-4 xbb and 1xbb for every limper. What's the standard for raising and 3 betting pre-flop and also post flop if there is such a standard in selective scenarios? For example, I've looked over my hands and I've noticed i've been raising I believe disproportionaly high on the turn where I would like to be raising a 'standard' % of pot. And also have not been sure of the best amount to raise on the flop HU or in multiway pots so would help to know a approximate % range of the chips to raise in any given pot size.
Old 11-18-2007, 01:55 AM

Default Re: What are the standard raise/re-raise/ bet amounts?

It depends. Sorry.

I usually 3bet pre-flop ~3.5 times original raise if there are no callers in between.

C-bet flops 70%-100% of pot except in 3bet pots where it's more like 60-75%.

Other situations really just depend way too much.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:27 AM

Thanks Lego. Just knowing that 3.5 x original raise is a standard pre-flop 3bet is good to know. It's probably what I've been doing but now atleast I can do it more robotically.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:49 AM

Hey,

There's a real useful thing I found (at least for the pre-flop scenario) in the Full Tilt Tournament edition book by Howard Lederer, which I believe he entitles leveraging. He uses this ratio which I found helpful - 3:10:30.

What this means is that if you have 10x (or more) the big blind, you can make a standard opening raise of 3x BB pre-flop, and make a reasonable decision for the rest of your chips if you get called/pushed all-in. If you have -10x BB, then you need to push all-in to exert maximum pressure.

If you get re-raised, he claims that 30x BB is the amount you need to have, in order to go overtop the re-raiser and still maintain your leverage. He points out that 3x the re-raise is what he tends to bet (i.e. 50-100 blinds > you open for 300, get raised to 600, you would need to make it another 1800 (for a 2100 total) to maintain your leverage).

He obviously explains it a lot better than I just did, but usually 3x the re-raise is pretty standard. Again though, Lederer claims you can only do this if you have at least 30x BB.

Ummm, I hope that helped.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:55 AM

We're playing cash games here...not tournaments. We have 100+BB's.

And in a tournament if I have 11 BB's there's no way in hell I'm raising 3BB's...if I'm playing the hand I'm almost always shoving.

Hell if I have 15 BB's I'm not raising to 3 BB's. I'll either shove (if the antes are big enough or there are some limpers) or I'll raise to 2.5BB's.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 PM

Regardless of whether you're playing cash games or not, my post addresses Zasterguava's question about a standard re-raise pre-flop. It's just some information that I thought was relevant and useful, feel free to disregard it if it doesn't apply to your style of play.

I like Lego's comment on continuation betting amounts on the flop - 70-100% of the pot. That depends on the texture of the flop, whether you have a draw (or have made a hand), the number of opponents, their playing style, etc. But I think 70-100% of the pot is pretty standard for a continuation bet.

Once the turn comes, I don't really know if you can make a "standard" bet - it all depends on the information you have garnered from your opposition up to that point, whether you are trying to protect your hand, the remaining number of opponents, etc. If you feel that they are on a draw, and the turn was a brick, I would fire a second shell anywhere from 60-90% of the pot; either one gives them insufficient odds to continue chasing flush/straight draws.

If the river was another blank, and you feel like you have the best hand, you have to put yourself in their shoes and imagine what amount you would call if you were being bet into. If you feel that they will fold to anything above a minimum bet, then fire off the min. Really, you want to maximize your profit, so get as much money out of them as possible. That's super vague, but without a specific example, that's all I can conjure up at this point.

Hope that helped.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:53 PM

When in doubt, bet 2/3 Pot. It is a good "in between" for a postflop betsize. If you don't know what size is good, just bet 2/3 until you figure it out with experience.