Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 12:20 PM

Default ICM Question - Min edge in various situations

So I've been playing around with SNGPT lately reviewing as many of my hands that I can and have been wondering about the min edge needed to make a push/call. The default is .5 but I would think that would go lower if say the blinds get very large (ex. 300/600 in stars sng) or when it gets shorthanded. In HU play shouldn't any +EV play be taken?

So basically...
Should the min edge vary when the blinds get higher?
What about at bubble time, 3 handed or HU?
What should the edge be set at in these situations if it is different from .5?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:13 PM

Default Re: ICM Question - Min edge in various situations

Hi MatteyA28,

The primary reason ICM software uses a MinEdge is because not all opponents play equally. So you should tend to modify MinEdge when you think there is an unusual discrepancy in playing ability. There is no reason why you should default lower MinEdge playing HU. But let's say your opponent was playing way too tight-passive during 300-600, folding from either position unless he has a premium hand. Then he pushes his button, you hold a decent hand, and based on his pushing range, software says you have a 1% Equity edge by calling. You should fold since your overall equity will be higher declining this slight edge and exploiting his major weakness in future hands.

Same with other situations. You might think MinEdge should be a lot higher on the bubble, but the parameter that you should actually change when deciding to push is calling range, which will generally be much narrower. The time to adjust MinEdge would be when your opponents are playing a very poor bubble game, e.g., folding to any raise or (more rare example, but possible) widening their calling ranges.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,
Collin
Old 08-14-2007, 02:18 PM

Good response by Collin. Also, with regard to SNGPT specifically... one reason for the min edge is in the situation where you still have some to act. In other words, someone pushes UTG and you figure you have a +0.1% calling hand in the CO. This might be a fold because it doesn't account for overcalls behind you.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM

Ok I think I understand. So lets say it is 4 handed in a stars $16 turbo and I am UTG and feel that my 3 opponents are worse than me. Assuming I know exactly what they will call my shove with, I determine a shove as +0.1% EV. I should instead fold knowing I can find better spots.

Now instead of a 16 lets say this is a 225 turbo and I feel that my opponents are better than me. Assuming I know their exact calling ranges again, I determine that a shove is +0.1% EV. Should I shove this one?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:12 PM

I think at the higher buyins you're basically pushing anything thats +EV. In the second example, if they're better than you, its an easy shove.