Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 PM

Default 1010 first hand stars 6.50

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
Hero (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
MP2 (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t40</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls t20, Hero calls t20.

Flop: (t130) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t60</font>, BB folds, Hero calls t60.

Turn: (t250) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t80</font>, Hero calls t80.

River: (t410) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t100</font>, Hero calls t100.

How did i play it? should i have check folded the flop / turn ? this hand had me very confused.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:13 PM

Default Re: 1010 first hand stars 6.50

i like you line. TT is tricky because you are limping for set value but only three to the flop and this guy keeps underbetting...

i think you win this pot well over 50% of the time...
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 AM

i like the lne here you lose you lose the basic least you could and i agree wth little ohn yo end up winning ths pot most of the time with the person bluffing with ace high
Old 08-14-2007, 12:23 AM

this looks fine to me. I might even make a vbet on the river
Old 08-14-2007, 01:29 AM

i was pretty happy with the way i played but the weirdo had queens lol i was like "eh? *rubs eyes to check if it was real*"
Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 AM

yeah a better played pair of queens couldve won some chips, i think u played this really well
Old 08-14-2007, 09:01 AM

nh
Old 08-14-2007, 01:01 PM

To me this hand reads like two Weak-Tight players fumbling around in the dark. Granted, UTG+1 played this awful, but isn't Hero playing Calling Station in this hand?

If the intention was to limp in and flop a set then I think Hero should have held onto that line and check/folded the flop. At the least Hero could have raised the flop to 90 to get some sense of where he stands. I you get a caller, at that point, or a rereaise, you can let the hand go. I think the only saving grace of this hand is that Villian played even more Weak-Tight than Hero. To me the line that Hero played unneccesarily complicated the hand when it could have simply been an in-and-out hand.

I think a TAG line would have been raise pf 3xBB. Raise the flop 2/3 pot, fold to reraise, or cool off to a call since there is an overcard on the board. As it was played, you never gave the opponent a chance to fold, even with pocket QQs you might have bluffed him off at the river thinking you hit trip Js, but because you never led any of the betting rounds it's doubtful he would have believed you held TP at any point, and therefore not be holding trip Js.

With his minraise UTG+1 what kind of hand did you think he held at the river that was going to pay you off? AK? AQ? KQ? Again, I think Villian simply played pocket Qs really badly.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To me this hand reads like two Weak-Tight players fumbling around in the dark. Granted, UTG+1 played this awful, but isn't Hero playing Calling Station in this hand?

If the intention was to limp in and flop a set then I think Hero should have held onto that line and check/folded the flop. At the least Hero could have raised the flop to 90 to get some sense of where he stands. I you get a caller, at that point, or a rereaise, you can let the hand go. I think the only saving grace of this hand is that Villian played even more Weak-Tight than Hero. To me the line that Hero played unneccesarily complicated the hand when it could have simply been an in-and-out hand.

I think a TAG line would have been raise pf 3xBB. Raise the flop 2/3 pot, fold to reraise, or cool off to a call since there is an overcard on the board. As it was played, you never gave the opponent a chance to fold, even with pocket QQs you might have bluffed him off at the river thinking you hit trip Js, but because you never led any of the betting rounds it's doubtful he would have believed you held TP at any point, and therefore not be holding trip Js.

With his minraise UTG+1 what kind of hand did you think he held at the river that was going to pay you off? AK? AQ? KQ? Again, I think Villian simply played pocket Qs really badly.

[/ QUOTE ]

OP played this fine imo. There's no need to build pots oop with a marginal hand. Some ppl raise TT, I just limp looking to flop a set or play some postflop poker.

By just calling you give villain a chance to bluff with an underpair or 2 big cards. Sometimes if villain has a draw to go with his 2 big cards if you bet and he raises, you fold a hand that isn't that far behind. I see this line alot with AK, AQ. Weak Tight is a pretty good way to play the first 3 levels of a sng by weak tight I mean 11/3 pf and betting aggressively when you called/limped and hit a monster or betting with tptk or an overpair when you raised pf.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:26 PM

The $6.50s can be donkfest, so I'd raise 3xBB to limit the number of limpers. Often in these the 1st couple hand the donkeys have wings.
I hate the min raise so if either of the two villains have a nick in all uppercase I'd shove and stack'em (OK... well maybe not...but I would strongly consider the 3xBB raise)