Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Donk or Standard? Really tough spot for me.

So I had a very interesting session tonight at the local brink and mortar joint in sacramento. The limelight. A funny little whole in the wall that seconds as a bar. Anyway I was playin 1/3 NL I worked my way up to about 350 just a little less, since i short buy in this game. The game was crazy live straddles round after round. JC Tran's older brother was on my right. Took over the table, had like 1900 in front of him. He looked the part of a shark also, starched shirt, rolex, toothpick, and a jade necklace. Great guy also, bought me a beer.

Anyway, There was a live 10, from a HYPO Aggressive donk. He paid me off on a 842 rainbow board for my double up with 108 off against my set of 2s. I have kjcc from utg+2. I make it 30 to go. I get two callers one in the cutoff and the other the straddler(the donk) flop comes 8c 10c 4h. check. I bet 45. cutoff folds. donk raises to 100. I had 340 at the start had 100 invested. 200+ back. I go all in. good move bad move? my thoughts are that he raises and calls EXTREMELY WEAKLY. figured that with my draw and overs i dont have fold equity. Thoughts would be appreciated. He felted me by the way. And I hit a j on the turn giving me a full 17 outs. Do I have fold Equity? do I check to see a free card? or get it in on the flop like i did? My feeling was to much profit to fold. But i would like to hear thoughts and/or advice. Cheers TCG
Old 10-20-2007, 05:58 PM

Default Re: Donk or Standard? Really tough spot for me.

good thread
Old 10-20-2007, 06:00 PM

i find this post hilarious for some reason..
Old 10-20-2007, 06:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He looked the part of a shark also, starched shirt, rolex, toothpick, and a jade necklace.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the best
Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 PM

"figured that with my draw and overs i dont have fold equity"

lols it's like random words from poker/2p2 mashed together in no particular order [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-20-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
brink and mortar joint

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-21-2007, 12:32 AM

I don't know what most stacks at the table are at this point, but opening in early possition for that much with a KJ is, lets say aggressive... You are throwing nearly 10% of your stack out with plenty of action behind you, and you are looking for some pretty tailored flops for that hand. In other words, you are usually only called by hands that you are behind, and will likely play OOP.

C-bet is good, but too low for me. I would throw out a $90 bet to try to take it down right there, get the weak made hands out.

Now ask yourself what could he be C/R'ing with. Could be as little as TPGK, Nut flush draw, more likely two pair, possibly a combo-draw.

Interesting spot, and you aren't priced out of a call, but you are certainly playing catchup. That means the push is probably extreme for the situation.

BTW, you had $75 invested, not $100 ($30 PF and $45 flop) that means you had about $265 back. Changes the math of the situation ever-so-slightly.