Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 02:05 PM

Default your local weak tightie

This hand was so horribly mangled it made me want to puke. However, I'm still not certain at what point to pull back. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Live 6/12 game, one loose limper, Hero limps in EMP with 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. Two more limpers, decent CO raises, BN calls, blinds fold, limpers call. Six players go to the flop.

Flop [12.5 SB]: A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
EP checks, Hero bets, two folds, CO raises, BN calls, Hero calls.

Turn [9.25 BB]: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Hero checks, CO bets, BN calls, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, BN goes in the tank and calls, Hero folds.

I'm certain I should've b/3b the flop, no idea why I chickened out and decided to get cute and call and c/r the turn. Anyway, as played, do AK/AJ or even ATs make up enough of a non-idiot's range with the turn 3-bet to call down? I'm thinking my best line would've been b/3b the flop (calling cap), bet/call the turn and check/call the river?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: your local weak tightie

call the 3 bets on flop, check raise turn. cap if necessary, may be beat by aq but i like my chances
Old 09-21-2007, 02:19 PM

I will never fold this turn..

You are ahead 8 combos of AK and behind 6 combos of AQ, 1 combo of AA, and 6 combos of QQ. Now add in the times you are ahead of a possible AJ (8 combos) and the fact that BTN is providing additional over-lay makes me at a minimum get this to showdown.

BTW, I trey the flop to get buttons money now.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:35 PM

Don’t ever fold the turn in a situation like this. He might have AQ, but then again he might just have Ax. I would guess Ax is more likely. Just call him down and make him show you the AQ.

Folding the turn is a big mistake. It cost you any chance of winning the pot. Anything else you did wrong is much less significant.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:41 PM

* grunch *

I bet/3bet this flop, lead turn and take it from there. We have a huge hand (especially with no flush draw on board) so I want to build as big as pot as possible. I don't think I like the checkraise route because (a) with this many to the flop it might get checked thru if CO doesn't have an A and (b) I don't think I really want to face people with 2 cold and scare them out (although the pot is big, so perhaps I should be more worried about this). I also don't slowplay (a la Frond's posted hand) because it ain't heads up yet plus I'm OOP.

I don't think I'm ever folding this hand. And with button trapped I think I probably cap this turn; is that spewy?
Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Please 3-bet the flop. Bet/3-bet the turn. Just call the river if the turn is capped. You are good way too often here to fold this for one bet - especially after you've already put 2 bets in on the turn. Even if he does have AQ, if you hit quads on the river you'll have a BBJ - 1:46 < $24:$1200+.
Old 09-21-2007, 03:48 PM

I'm 3 betting this flop and calling down if 4 bet.
When the button just calls after the 3 bet on the turn I would be a little worried but would still call down.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Folding the turn is a big mistake. It cost you any chance of winning the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

ORLY?
Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 PM

At the point where I folded, I felt like the hands were pretty close to face up. The BN had an ace, maybe even AK, I had A7 or 77, and the CO had AQ or QQ, with AK discounted and AJ/AT heavily, heavily discounted. I don't think the combinatorics are a fair enough assessment here; the turn 3-bet's incredibly strong for even a decent low limit live player.

I agree now I really should have called down (and obv. should have 3-bet the flop), but I find it interesting that only one person who's responded so far doesn't slow down until the river.

Also, no BBJ at my cardroom, FWIW.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:35 PM

The turn 3-bet may be strong, but AK is a very strong hand on this board. I would need more of a read to make the laydown you did. If you've never seen this player make this move without the absolute nuts, AND it's a nitty old white guy, I might be convinced to get out of his way.