Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 PM

Default Re: David Sklansky is an ACist

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Namely some street smarts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have a tidy definition of street smarts? I'm never sure what people mean by this. Is it like, how long you could survive as a drug dealer in the Bronx?

[/ QUOTE ]

hitch touched on how some may be acquired, but being very aware of the actual social situation you are in, rather than some pretend one or one that exists 12 blocks away.
The expected code of conduct, the danger signs.

DS mentioned the handling of cheats the other day. That's a street smart. To move in the gambling world and not know how such thing are handled would be street dumb.

luckyme
Old 09-21-2007, 05:06 PM

are you Vegas Nick?
Old 09-22-2007, 10:19 AM

David,

How exactly do the "few animals" fit in with the young ladies, spare time, and free flowing money? My wild imagination demands an answer.
Old 09-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Six cats. One African Grey. They only watch.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I am is a guy who when he was 14 was insanely good at quickly and accurately doing algebra word problems. Easily one of the best in the world (back then) and better than 99% of math Phds includuing jason and boris p. Specifically algebra word problems. Nothing else. I could also explain my methods quite well if it was important to.

Being insanely good at algebra word problems meant I could get very very good at related subjects. Like probability and logic problems.

Being good at those things meant I could write good books on endeavors where those subjects played a large part. It also meant that I could tease out the logic-math aspects of complex everyday problems and usually demonstrate how those aspects comprised a bigger part of the problem than most people want to admit. It also meant that I could be a major thorn in the side of people who had a strong position on something even though they hadn't made sure that their position didn't bump into mathematical-logical type fallacies.

Armed with this one talent and its spinoffs I could make a lot of money, buy a few animals, have a shot with some younger girls, and not have to work 9-5.

I don't even think about the stuff on this thread unless it helps me achieve one of those three goals or perhaps a few others.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't you interested in certain things *because* they are challenging? Like the whole theism thing? Why not to the same with the whole *politics* thing? It's essentially a religion, so why not? Or maybe it's because you are the believer this time?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Aren't you interested in certain things *because* they are challenging? Like the whole theism thing? Why not to the same with the whole *politics* thing? It's essentially a religion, so why not? Or maybe it's because you are the believer this time?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that was his long winded version of "politics is boring"

Poking fun at religion is a lot more fun, I think. Plus it makes you look smart and badass in front of young ladies. When was the last time AC pulled you some tail?
Old 09-21-2007, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think that was his long winded version of "politics is boring"

Poking fun at religion is a lot more fun, I think. Plus it makes you look smart and badass in front of young ladies. When was the last time AC pulled you some tail?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not interested in women who think I am 'badass'.
Old 09-21-2007, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I am not interested in women who think I am 'badass'.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of that famous quote by Groucho Marx...
" I don't care to belong to a club that accepts people like me as members."
Old 09-25-2007, 05:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
David Sklansky is an ACist

[/ QUOTE ]

Since, afaik, the question has not been answered, let met put forward why it would not be possible. To me, it seems that D Sklansky is too intelligent and too street smart to ever be anything like an ACist! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

It would be no different from positing a benevolent, intelligent god from the experience of life! LOL
Old 09-25-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Since, afaik, the question has not been answered, let met put forward why it would not be possible. To me, it seems that D Sklansky is too intelligent and too street smart to ever be anything like an ACist!

It would be no different from positing a benevolent, intelligent god from the experience of life! LOL

[/ QUOTE ]Hi Midge,
I say you're way off, If D.S. had cocktails with Boro, I'd say his odd's of emerging from the meeting an Ac'ist would be greater than 1%. Not even close to what he'd assign the probability of a benevolent, personal, Christian God, that condemns non believers to hell.