Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Ever think about who we assasinate?

It seems to always be those who preach that we live together in harmony and love one another:
Jesus; Ghandi; Lincoln; Kennedy; Bobby; King; Malcom X; John Lennon.
Bam! Right in the freakin head!

The hell with 9/11. There's a conspiracy for you.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:07 PM

Default Re: Ever think about who we assasinate?

Lincoln doesn't belong on this list IMO.

[ QUOTE ]
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Roger Taney, declared the action unconstitutional, arguing that only Congress can suspend habeas corpus (the same position that the Supreme Court recently took in the Hamdi and Padilla cases) and Lincoln not only ignored the ruling and continued to do what he wanted to do, but issued an arrest warrant for the 84-year old Chief Justice.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]without getting into an indepth discussion about Lincoln, my understanding is that people should be treated the same. This belief wasn't based on religion either, but more of a moralist view. Lincoln was an interesting guy. In some ways, his views on society were very similar to Franklins.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:17 PM

Anyway, in regards to OP. Yeah it basically sounds like anyone preaching equality gets axed.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]without getting into an indepth discussion about Lincoln, my understanding is that people should be treated the same. This belief wasn't based on religion either, but more of a moralist view. Lincoln was an interesting guy. In some ways, his views on society were very similar to Franklins.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lincoln has a lot of quotes out there that sound good, but the facts of his Presidency shows what he spoke and what he did were not the same.

[ QUOTE ]
No man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-29-2007, 12:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, Roger Taney, declared the action unconstitutional, arguing that only Congress can suspend habeas corpus (the same position that the Supreme Court recently took in the Hamdi and Padilla cases) and Lincoln not only ignored the ruling and continued to do what he wanted to do, but issued an arrest warrant for the 84-year old Chief Justice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolded is of questionable veracity and likely not true. At the very least, the evidence that Lincoln *issued* an arrest warrant is sketchy at best, and relies on the second hand account of a witness who didn't report the story until 20 years after the fact; and obviously, if such a warrant even existed (which again is a dubious claim at best), Taney was never served the warrant, nor ever arrested. This isn't to claim Lincoln was above arresting political opponents, but there's little evidence he ever tried to arrest Taney.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the states where it exists. I believe I have no lawful right to do so, and I have no inclination to do so.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats so shocking about this? The man was a true republican. He was an ardent states right man and believed in small government.

I think that Lincolns "legacy" varies greatly depending on who is telling it. My own personal opinion, he was a good man.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 PM

You are an idiot if you think Malcolm X preached equality, and probably completely brain dead if you think he taught harmony, and peace.

and Im a big fan of Malcom X.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are an idiot if you think Malcolm X preached equality, and probably completely brain dead if you think he taught harmony, and peace.

and Im a big fan of Malcom X.

[/ QUOTE ]

You may have a point there, however, he was one intelligent S.O.B. !!

When Malcolm was examined for the draft, military physicians classified him to be "mentally disqualified for military service." He explained in his autobiography that he put on a display to avoid the draft by telling the examining officer that he could not wait to organize with other black soldiers so he could "kill some crackers." His approach worked, and he was given a classification that ensured he would not be drafted.[13]
Old 08-29-2007, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Whats so shocking about this? The man was a true republican. He was an ardent states right man and believed in small government.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lincoln was in no way an "ardent state's rights" proponent; just the opposite is true, and it's not clear how you could argue otherwise. In 1860, it was generally acknowledged that any state had the right to secede from the US, but Lincoln made up the theory that a state had no such right, and backed this theory up with force. Until the Civil War, States were just that -- very nearly sovereign entities. After Lincoln crushed the concept of state's rights beneath 600,000 corpses, States became the mere providences that we all know today.