Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2007, 04:28 PM

Default pokertracker analysis and typical Plo mistakes ?

I have been playing Plo for a long time on an intermediate level but I would really like to take it a step further by analyzing my play by using pokertracker and post/discuss plo hands in this forum.

So first of all I would like to ask:

1.How do you use pokertracker to analyze your game specifically for Plo ?

2.What do you think are the most typical mistakes you see players make in Plo ?

Thanks a lot
Old 07-18-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: pokertracker analysis and typical Plo mistakes ?

I'll chip in some off the top of my head, and for 6-max

First. If you haven't already, set up categories on PTO. If you haven't, it's on the main screen where the hands are listed.

You need the following categories:

Aces; Kings; Queens & Jacks; Double Big Pairs; High Wraps; High One Gappers; Mid Double Pairs; Mid Wraps; Mid One Gappers

PM me if you need more help on setting the categories up. There are a bunch more, including categories for the lower cards, two gappers, and danglers - but the above hands are the hands you'll be the most excited about preflop. Each of these categories should be positive after a significant sample size, so if they are not, you know you have a leak somewhere in your game, or that your categories are messed up. (For example, when you set up the Aces cateogory, you should include AA but exclude AAA...)

Second, compare your preflop raise percentage to your call preflop raise %. You should be raising more hands preflop than you are calling.

Position stats - As you get close to the button, you should have a higher VPIP and a higher pfr%. Track this on all opponents you have significant amounts of hands with. You'll quickly surmise who understands position, and this knowledge is money.

Different styles give different results, but your W$@SD needs to be in the range of 50% to 54%, any lower and you are going to showdown too often, any higher, you are folding too much. Lower winning percentages also reflect errors in earlier streets, because it means your opponents are being allowed to catch up with you--i.e., you are giving too many free cards. Sample size needs to be large, because you can play perfect poker for several thousand hands and have a 40% or 70% W$@SD%.

River stats - the most important street is the river:

1) generally the bets are the largest; and
2) your equity is usually 100% or 0% (but sometimes it will be 50% and sometimes 33%); so this is where your mistakes are the largest in magnatude

First stat: fold to river bet. Your's should be the range of 55-65%. Any lower, you're going to showdown too often, any higher, you are either getting pushed off the best hand too often and/or going too far with sub-par hands.

So a player that has a fold to river bet % of 80% probably thinks to himself "These fish always suck out on me" The truth is he plays too many weak hands that he should fold on the flop.

Leaving the office, I will write more later, please dear forum, tell me if I am idiot here as well, because there is a fairly good chance that I am. (At least my mother thinks so.)
Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 PM

wow. this is great advice!! thx nit!
Old 07-18-2007, 09:28 PM

Sort hands by biggest played that went to showdown.

Then go street by street and analyze how well you got your money in on each street by using the pot odds button that takes you right to twodimes.net.

Then think on the mistakes that you are making. Stop making those mistakes.

Think on the mistakes that your opponents are making.
Exploit those mistakes.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:13 AM

The biggest tool I use to evaluate an opponent on the river is his river AF. The AF is computed along the lines of ((bets + raises)/calls). So high river aggression means your opponent bets alot when he senses weakness and folds when people show strength. Now your at the river against a guy with a river AF, of let's say 5, which you will see a lot.

You have a hand you are willing to go to showdown with, and you out of position. Should you bet for value? Against this player, your standard line should be check call. Since he folds a lot, he will usually fold most hands you beat. Also, he will sometimes raise you as a bluff. Check calling takes this play out of his bag.

On the other hand, if you have a whiffed draw, you should consider leading out often, as his aggression factor indicates he folds a lot as well.

Mix it up here and there though, as a guy with a high river AF is ripe territory for the occasional check raise bluff!

The other thing I look for is a guy whose river aggression is way higher than all his other streets. These players often are chasers for bad odds that rely on river bluffs to keep them out of trouble. So if the river appears to brick, check call. Watch the draws, because they will chase str8's on a FD board, which disguises their draw.

<u>%WtSD v. W$@SD%</u>

Since its Omaha, you will see this a lot more than you will in holdem, and this is people who go to showdown more often than they win. When you see this after a fair amount of hands, and you don't need tons of hands, you have found yourself a fish.

Don't bluff him, unless you have another read, but try to isolate him as early in the hand as you can. Then value bet away, but don't pay off his draws that get there.

It also works the opposite. A low went to showdown percentage versus a high won at showdown %, means you have found yourself a weak tighty. You need to make these guys sweat, as they are begging for an excuse to fold. They will stack you here and there, but I promise you will steal enough small pots in the longrun that if you can successfully isolate this guy, you are going to come out ahead.

Since you know what your looking for with these two numbers, pay attention to yours as well. I promise there are others who are.
Old 07-19-2007, 10:42 AM

*favorite topic! (toggle)* *click*
Old 07-19-2007, 11:09 AM

@ Nit- keep it coming, it's exactly what I was looking for.

Thank you so much

Harmonix
Old 07-19-2007, 11:20 AM

I did this when I was a noob, so I'll just put it out there.

There are supposedly "ideal" stats for different styles of play. So when I started, I tried to get these ideal stats going on all my tables. In hold'em, for instance, I found myself raising more hands than I liked at tables so my pfr% would be &gt;= 67% of my VPIP. This is FUBAR. Just play each situation as best you can at the time, and if you are playing right, then your stats should converge, after a LONG period of time, with those "ideal" stats. It's okay to have a table were you have folded 85% of the rivers if that's what the game called for at the time.
Old 07-19-2007, 11:38 AM

@ Nit

If you could do a complete list of categories that you use in your PT it would be fantastic, maybe you could send them and I could then import them, if that is possible ? if it's no problem of course ?

Thanks again
Old 07-19-2007, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Second, compare your preflop raise percentage to your call preflop raise %. You should be raising more hands preflop than you are calling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great inforamtion Nit! However, Im not sure I agree with the above statement. Awesome post though.