Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2007, 05:01 PM

Default U of MN closes a large portion of its campus, new trend in response?

Apparently there was a bomb threat here and 8 major buildings have been closed and classes there have been canceled.

It is interesting to see what major universities, like mine, will do w/ regards to threats after the VaTech tragedy. I suppose they have to cover their ass... if they got any kind of info and didn't act on it they would look quite horrible.

And, what a surprise, it's a gorgeous day out. Bomb threats never seem to happen on rainy days...
Old 04-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: U of MN closes a large portion of its campus, new trend in response?

I think such a trend would be far far better than sending out an email two hours after a violent incident.... But, yes it will be interesting to see what security measures come into place. I graduated from a high school in transition. Freshman and sophmore year it was an older building; we were moved to a new building with security cameras and the like later on... I would obviously suggest that the high school shootings before construction began influenced it.

I've also never understood the logic of bomb threats: "Im going to blow X building up so... here's advanced warning to evacuate and stuff." If only all would be terrorists were that smart.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:16 PM

Default Re: U of MN closes a large portion of its campus, new trend in respon

[ QUOTE ]

I've also never understood the logic of bomb threats: "Im going to blow X building up so... here's advanced warning to evacuate and stuff." If only all would be terrorists were that smart.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that A) there's no logic in the mind of someone dumb enough to actually make a bomb threat, and B) they do it for the thrill of controlling that many people that easily.

50 miles up the road from the U, I can only imagine what would happen if such a bomb threat happened here at SCSU. I do a little work for the campus TV station and we're in the process of talking to our Public Safety chief and the local police to see what exactly the plan would be.
Old 04-18-2007, 06:28 PM

Edge,

I know we are dealing with the most rational of people here... just pointing out a little flaw
Old 04-18-2007, 10:25 PM

We had a bomb threat today at UW - La Crosse. They completely evacuated one of the dorms for it.