Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will I die
Yes 41 47.67%
No 45 52.33%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2007, 01:20 PM

Default Re: How do you order your steak?

Strangely, I like my filet raw (cold), and any other steak medium well.
But, when ordering at a restaurant, I don't order medium well, I order "with just a bit of pink".
Old 08-13-2007, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It all depends on the cut. Tenderloin and Rib Eye should be made on the rare side as they are tender without needing to cook for a long time. While tougher cuts should be made well done as they are virtually inedible when they are undercooked.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it depends on the cut of beef. The only steaks I'm eating for the tender ones at a restaurant (and at home really): filets, strips, ribeyes. And even top sirloin is pretty tender and can stand the steak treatment (sear hot, broil). Tougher cuts will remain tough.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raw beef, if prepared properly is safe to eat. thin cuts of raw beef (beef tartare), dressed with some olive oil, salt, pepper, shavings of parmesan cheese.....yum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beef Carpaccio *drool*
Old 08-13-2007, 01:50 PM

I get filets medium-rare. My wife gets sirloin very well done, even asks for it burnt, then she covers it with A1 sauce. Puts me on tilt everytime she wastes a steak like that. But, that's the way she likes it.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:25 PM

People who order their steaks well done make me sick to my stomach, just order liver or some [censored] instead if you want destroyed meat.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I get filets medium-rare. My wife gets sirloin very well done, even asks for it burnt, then she covers it with A1 sauce. Puts me on tilt everytime she wastes a steak like that. But, that's the way she likes it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Were you aware of this before you married her? If so, why did you marry her?
Old 08-13-2007, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think it depends on the cut of beef. The only steaks I'm eating for the tender ones at a restaurant (and at home really): filets, strips, ribeyes. And even top sirloin is pretty tender and can stand the steak treatment (sear hot, broil). Tougher cuts will remain tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely depends, next time buy 2 cheapo cuts at the grocery store and make one rare and the other well done. The well done piece will be nice and tender, while the rare one will be chewy.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My wife and I both order stakes very, very, very rare. Usually at a nice restauraunt, ordering a filet goes like this;

wife; I'd like the filet, cooked as rare as possible. Special instructions to the chef, please.
me; I'll have the filet, rarer than hers.

As far as we're concerned, red means taste. Steak tartare is good. I also eat hamburgers as rare as they'll cook them and won't order a burger in most chains because of their "medium" policies.

Red means taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of my friends always says "Just walk it through a warm room." I always thought that was a pretty good way to order a rare steak.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It definitely depends, next time buy 2 cheapo cuts at the grocery store and make one rare and the other well done. The well done piece will be nice and tender, while the rare one will be chewy.

[/ QUOTE ]

The argument here is that at a restaurant, you're not going to be getting the cheapo cuts: flank, blade, round, etc. These don't do well if prepared as a steak (high heat, broil). These work well under slower and more moist conditions.
Old 08-13-2007, 03:20 PM

If I'm at a good steakhouse I'll order medium. If I'm at a chain restaurant or a cheaper place I'll order medium rare.

Usually these will both come out the same way.

Edit - Just saw that someone posted the exact opposite of what I said. In my experience, it's the cheap chain places that tend to overcook steaks, hence I order them 1 level rarer at these places. A good place will cook a medium correctly, so there's no need to do this there.