Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2007, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Talk to me about AJo from various positions.

[ QUOTE ]
What about a solid players raises UTG... everyone folds to you in the BB. You look down at AJo? easy fold? try and get lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold. If you dont believe me just put him on a range and pokerstove it and you'll see that AJo is not worth playing against a solid raiser in that spot all other things being equal.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Read Feeney\'s A-Q essay n/t

Old 06-18-2007, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What about a solid players raises UTG... everyone folds to you in the BB. You look down at AJo? easy fold? try and get lucky?

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy fold. If you dont believe me just put him on a range and pokerstove it and you'll see that AJo is not worth playing against a solid raiser in that spot all other things being equal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree by one pip. ATo I believe is where equity considerations go against you.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:23 AM

AJo is an insta-fold preflop against an early raise against all but the laggiet/showdown/terrible post flop players.

This flop is especially bad(and deceiving) because you aren't even ahead of AT.

Raising the flop is an option, but is very dependent on the opponent. I tend to do it if he's a straightforward player who will allow me to play my hand perfectly(calls down a weaker ace/KK-JJ and 3bets AQ+).
Old 06-19-2007, 03:09 AM

You shouldn't be in the hand, as even calling with AQ off is questionable.

I just ran a simulation having AQ off vs a UTG player who only plays top 10%. AQ lost mega. (UTG was dealt top 10% hand every time vs opponent who had AQ off every time. Other 8 hands at table were random.). AJ would likely be a big underdog against even top 15%. This is a garbage hand unless the raise is like from the hijack or later.

If this is a very loose preflop raiser and you want to play, you have to 3 bet and try to isolate and get the dead blind money in the pot. AJ off suit is not a good multi-way hand. You'd have to be suited to make the cold call.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I just ran a simulation having AQ off vs a UTG player who only plays top 10%. AQ lost mega. (UTG was dealt top 10% hand every time vs opponent who had AQ off every time. Other 8 hands at table were random.). AJ would likely be a big underdog against even top 15%. This is a garbage hand unless the raise is like from the hijack or later.

If this is a very loose preflop raiser and you want to play, you have to 3 bet and try to isolate and get the dead blind money in the pot. AJ off suit is not a good multi-way hand. You'd have to be suited to make the cold call.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I have to retract a bit. I just did a little test holding AJ offsuit in the cuttoff against an early position player who plays the top 15% UTG. AJ did very well cold calling two bets. The other hands at the table were random. These are bots, but they play pretty well. I now have no opinion on the subject.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I have to retract a bit. I just did a little test holding AJ offsuit in the cuttoff against an early position player who plays the top 15% UTG. AJ did very well cold calling two bets. The other hands at the table were random. These are bots, but they play pretty well. I now have no opinion on the subject.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, no more sim stuff. AJ now losing after getting a bigger sample size.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Assuming you're playing a typical mid-limit game at a place we'll call Broccoli Pete's, AJo is a fold to an UTG raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Understood, many thanks. I now see that at the main game at Lentil Ron's, AJo must clearly be considered a major leak in the face of aggression. Id consider (consider, mind you) cold calling in late position at one of the must-move games simply because the retard factor is so very strong there.

Btw the hand in question took place at a 30-60 lhe game at Oaks, and really forced me to reconsider my whole "call it down in case they are overplaying a big pair" dictum in the face of preflop aggression. Against limpers I think maybe it holds water against people who limped in with AXs and think Im calling down middle pair, but Im starting to wonder if even that is a leak in the long run...
Old 06-19-2007, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

ILP--what are you talking about?!?

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

1,623,264,192 games 0.005 secs 324,652,838,400 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 39.703% 33.15% 06.55% 538174560 106309188.00 { AJo }
Hand 1: 60.297% 53.75% 06.55% 872471256 106309188.00 { TT+, ATs+, KJs+, AJo+, KQo }
Old 06-19-2007, 02:33 PM

On cold calling -- my view is that if you are not prepared to consider a raise with a hand dont call. No good player even considers a raise with AJ - ergo no call.

Similarly if the UTG PFR is soooo tight that you dont want to raise AQ, fold it.

If others have already cold called it is of course a different story and AJo is still a fold.