Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Re: 2007 SEC Football Thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, one will never know about the SEC because, for the most part, they insulate themselves in their own little world and avoid playing the other major conferences

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't dispute this at all because I don't have a clue (i don't really even suspect anything), but could you actually show where the Big101112, Pac10 etc. play more against the other major conferences as opposed to the SEC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a myth. The Big 10 and SEC are both 5-4 against major conf. opponents this year.

Big 10's opposition:
Washington
Washington State
Pitt
Syracuse (twice)
Iowa State
Missouri
Duke
Oregon

SEC:
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Louisville
Va Tech
UNC
USF
FSU
Cal
Missouri

The SEC has played much tougher games, despite having the tougher conference schedules and a conference championship game.

The Pac 10 is 5-3 against major conference opponents. Big XII is 5-6. Big East is 6-8. ACC is 7-8.

edit- Also, these only include games already played. The SEC still has Clemson, GT, and FSU on the schedule. Not sure what the Big 10 has.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:10 PM

I'm surprised this hasnt' gotten more attention yet. I didn't think it was so terrible live, but if you look at the replay this looks 100% co-ordinated and purposeful. I'm talking about the cheap shot at Dorsey's knees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqiLlOybz9s
Old 10-21-2007, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm surprised this hasnt' gotten more attention yet. I didn't think it was so terrible live, but if you look at the replay this looks 100% co-ordinated and purposeful. I'm talking about the cheap shot at Dorsey's knees.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah no excuse for that. They said he was okay and I sure hope that is the case.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
also, one will never know about the SEC because, for the most part, they insulate themselves in their own little world and avoid playing the other major conferences

[/ QUOTE ]

I won't dispute this at all because I don't have a clue (i don't really even suspect anything), but could you actually show where the Big101112, Pac10 etc. play more against the other major conferences as opposed to the SEC?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah that's a myth. The Big 10 and SEC are both 5-4 against major conf. opponents this year.

Big 10's opposition:
Washington
Washington State
Pitt
Syracuse (twice)
Iowa State
Missouri
Duke
Oregon

SEC:
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Louisville
Va Tech
UNC
USF
FSU
Cal
Missouri

The SEC has played much tougher games, despite having the tougher conference schedules and a conference championship game.

The Pac 10 is 5-3 against major conference opponents. Big XII is 5-6. Big East is 6-8. ACC is 7-8.

edit- Also, these only include games already played. The SEC still has Clemson, GT, and FSU on the schedule. Not sure what the Big 10 has.

[/ QUOTE ]

a myth for one year
also, that excludes Notre Dame, which is usually a pretty big factor in Big11Ten schedules but the domers fell apart this year

anyway...the Big11Ten doesn't deserve much credit either

The Pac10 is the one conference that will take on all comers and actually play road games against top midlevel schools (nothing gets tougher than the mountain west at the next level)

It's extremely rare for any SEC team to play a game outside of the South

the big11ten isn't much better---it's probably only the ties to Pac10 schools that makes them a little more likely to leave the surrounding area (Notre Dame road games are not leaving the area)
Old 10-21-2007, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF! I was at the game so I didn't notice this. That was blatant and IMO that kid needs to be suspended.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF! I was at the game so I didn't notice this. That was blatant and IMO that kid needs to be suspended.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's horrible. IMHO, Dorsey has gotten away with some very cheap play this year & it hasn't been notice. Nothing as bad as that though.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 PM

Gator injury update:

Tim Tebow has a shoulder contusion and he will be held out of contact all week. He should be able to play 100% next Saturday.

Major Wright may have to have surgery on his thumb. If he has surgery, he will miss the game against Georgia. If he doesn't have surgery, they may be able to put a cast on and he could play, but Meyer doesn't like the thought of a free safety not being able to wrap up. If he is not able to go, Dorian Munroe and Kyle Jackson will fight it out for the job. Meyer also mentioned Bryan Thomas and Jamar Hornsby as having practiced better lately, and they have a chance.

Carlton Medder hurt his (ankle I think?) but not seriously. He is day to day.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:35 PM

It has also been confirmed that Tebow's shoulder injury was not from the hit during the UK game, but due to the weight of carrying the team on his shoulders throughout the season.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also, that excludes Notre Dame, which is usually a pretty big factor in Big11Ten schedules but the domers fell apart this year

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure pointing out ND's excellence over the past decade is the best way to go about proving how tough the Big 10 is.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, that's horrible. IMHO, Dorsey has gotten away with some very cheap play this year & it hasn't been notice. Nothing as bad as that though.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's dirty play in every football game, and no doubt Dorsey gets in his fair share of cheapshots. But it's not often you see someone so blatantly try to end someone's season/career.

It looked orchestrated, and I'd be surprised if this kid wasn't coached into it.