Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Sushi in Vegas

um, if they have benny hanna's down there, definatly go (where they prepare the food at your table.)
Old 06-10-2007, 04:40 PM

Raw fish. In the desert. In a land-locked state. Um.

You're from the land of cheap and plentiful delicious sushi. Why not try something different in Vegas? I can recommend the Brazilian BBQ at the Mirage, much better than whatever that place is on Market in SF.
Old 06-10-2007, 05:33 PM

Vegas is 4 hours from the coast. What, you think you can only get fresh fish if you're ankle deep in salt water?
Old 06-10-2007, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vegas is 4 hours from the coast. What, you think you can only get fresh fish if you're ankle deep in salt water?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 hours more fresh, yes. Call me crazy, but I think that's quite a long time for raw fish.

(And yes yes, I know it's just fine, and my sushi isn't as fresh as I like to pretend, but c'mon... making fun of raw fish in the desert is funny! Well, unless you live there and are tired of the same old jokes...)
Old 06-11-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

4 hours more fresh, yes. Call me crazy, but I think that's quite a long time for raw fish.

[/ QUOTE ]
The health code here in New York says that fish cannot be served raw without having been frozen.

Of course all the sushi restaurants try to keep it a secret.

So much for "fresh fish".
Old 06-12-2007, 01:07 AM

Ah Sin at the Paris has some of the best sushi i've ever had FWIW. Fairly casual, I've eaten in shorts and a T-shirt before.

Edit: Nobu is cool if you are going for the atmosphere/specific style of cuisine, but I wasn't real impressed with their sushi.... Now there 50yr old sake y2k is another story... Order it chilled and you won't regret it.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:23 AM

no one has mentioned Sushi-Mon. there s 2 locations that i know of..both are off the strip. 1 is on sahara and close by durango

the other is off of maryland parkway and silverado ranch

it s a $25 buffet but the catch is that it's all ala carte. so order w/e the hell u want and they bring it out to you.

it includes nigiri, rolls, and hot food.

be sure to order all the off the menu items..just ask what they have

it s the best buffet i ve had...i ve had todai and think it s crap. sushi mon is def better..the a la carte makes it all worth it

obvisouly this isnt nobu but for $25 bux u can stuff your face with pretty decent sushi and hot food. it s always packed with locals
Old 06-12-2007, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The health code here in New York says that fish cannot be served raw without having been frozen.

Of course all the sushi restaurants try to keep it a secret.

So much for "fresh fish".

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually read the 24 (!!!) page manual of handling instructions from catch to plate to call fish "sushi" grade.

Some reality:

1) Tunas are killed, bled and are best served 3 days later. Plenty to time for transportation. If you have doubts go to the websites that describe the handling for the pen raised bluefin tuna off of Baja and Australia. I've seen the offshore Baja pens.

2) A lot of fish destined for the sushi bar is quickly frozen to kill all the little critters. Parasite protection. Having cleaned 1000's of lbs. of fish, I've encountered lots of critters under the skins of fish, but the vast majority are harmless to humans.

Whether your fish is fresh or frozen depends on your restaurant and its wholesaler. You can always ask about your restaurants handling practices and standards.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:30 PM

pf,

Most good sushi you've had has either been aged for a few days or frozen or both.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM

Ceasars has a good place near their boat bar thingie. It can be casual clothing wise but still pricey.