Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2007, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Letting strangers into your apartment building

I was cooking something and left the stove on while I brought the trash out and accidentally locked myself out. Some guy out back smoking a cigarette was reluctant to let me in, even though it was 3pm on a sunday and i was wearing a plain white t-shirt, basketball shorts with no pockets, and sandals. after telling him the stove is on and that he can follow me to my apt to see the door unlocked, he let me in.

last week a guy was trying to buzz the building manager who lives on my floor. I had never seen the guy, and i guess he didn't have a key to main door or his apt. i felt bad, but I didn't let him in. I went and knocked on the door of the building manager, and then went and told the guy he wasn't there and brought him a piece of paper with the manager's cell # on it.

If its a girl, daytime, or they don't look shady, then I don't mind letting them in. But the door to my building that I go through only leads to two other apartments and i know both the people.
Old 05-02-2007, 01:58 PM

I live in in a doorman building now but when I first moved to NY about a year ago I lived in a building without a doorman. I grew up in the suburbs so the first time I ever lived in a buliding with other people was a college dorm where it was standard policy to let in everybody. I did this for about a week in NY till i got a pretty angry WTF are you doing letter from the manager. About a week later I saw that Seinfeld episode for the first time and felt dam stupid.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:22 PM

i never let in anyone unless i know them pretty well. i don't even let in people i've seen in the building before unless i know they're a current resident, cause one of the girls on my floor was being stalked by her ex-bf and he got into the building a couple of times by saying 'hi' to people who recognized him vaguely.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 PM

i always let women in, as long as they don't look like homeless people. with guys, i generally just let them wait. sometimes i let them in if i think i recognize them.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my neighborhood is mostly dominican, no doorman on my building. i've never had a very tough decision on this, it happens fairly rarely and it's never anybody all that threatening.

[/ QUOTE ]

i expected your post to go in a different direction after you mentioned that

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, it's pretty peaceful here, other than car alarms going off due to the mexipolka / reggaeton being blasted constantly by passing vehicles
Old 05-02-2007, 07:37 PM

i live in a small apt building in a student area of ann arbor in a student neighborhood. I'd like to find the idiot that let the bum in who proceeded to drink two forties and piss all over the stairwell, leaving me a nice puddle to unexpected step in (in sandals!) at 6:30 am
Old 05-02-2007, 10:17 PM

I have a 24 hour doorman. Don't have to worry about this crap. I get really upset when they let known friends of mine into the building without telling me first though. Last thing I need is a chick showing up while another chick is here.
Old 05-02-2007, 11:44 PM

My door opens right to the outside world, so I don't have to worry about letting anybody "in" fortunately. At my last complex I'd hold the door for people whether I knew they lived there or not, which is probably retarded of me.