Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Stock Picker Program

Anyone have any experience with this program?

http://www.stock-picker-rt.com/

There was an article saying that it picked some stocks last session and right from the opening bell they were up 8% because of this program.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/071110/c...&.pf=loans
Old 11-10-2007, 12:27 PM

Default Re: Stock Picker Program

That stocks were up 8% is pretty meaningless unless we knew which stocks were picked. Is there any historical data?

One possible explanation is that the program is actually successful. A second possible explanation is that the program picks stocks with low volumes and that the price increase is caused by everyone who uses the program buying the stock.

If I had a program that could beat the market with no human intervention I wouldn't sell it to others for $279. The only motivation I'd have to sell such a program was if I was using it as a way to pump and dump.

Also that wasn't an article on Yahoo that was a press release. Very different.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:54 PM

If I had a program that could beat the market with no human intervention I wouldn't sell it to others for $279

I agree 10000%

SF [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-10-2007, 01:58 PM

yeah these always come and go
Old 11-10-2007, 06:03 PM

spam
Old 11-12-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I had a program that could beat the market with no human intervention I wouldn't sell it to others for $279.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Just because you sell the program doesn't mean you still can't make the trades yourself. There are lots of trading systems being sold, many of which probably beat the market, or they wouldn't have so many customers.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If I had a program that could beat the market with no human intervention I wouldn't sell it to others for $279.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? Just because you sell the program doesn't mean you still can't make the trades yourself. There are lots of trading systems being sold, many of which probably beat the market, or they wouldn't have so many customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

Over a million pet rocks were sold in the 70's, that doesn't mean they were a good investment. For that matter a boatload of shares of ENRON were sold, many people made a profit, most did not. The Hunt brothers had a surefire trading system for buying/selling silver. They have trouble buying a cup of coffee at a Starbucks today.

Jimbo
Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...there are a zillion programs,books,those idiot gorilla trades.com sites,channeltrades .com with 5000 60 yr old retirees' or housewives chasing 6 children around the house saying..."wow..I made $3000 yesterday,this is SOOOOO easy"....whatever....they are guarenteed to make money by charging YOU for their service

Did you EVER see that Goldman or Lehman commercial on CNBC...telling you to buy their super duper secret trading software for $5999?

Sick stuff!

Everyone would buy it ONCE.....they would boost their bottom line for ONE quarter,...and then after being laughed off the street when their largest customers with $50OMM accounts walked out the door...they can start a new one!

No NO NO
[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 11-12-2007, 07:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are lots of trading systems being sold, many of which probably beat the market, or they wouldn't have so many customers.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Secret sold so many copies that it was the second most influential item to bookstore annual sales. Based on your logic then you must believe that anyone can change reality just by thinking about it?

[ QUOTE ]
Just because you sell the program doesn't mean you still can't make the trades yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would certainly make it harder. If you take identical software and give it identical inputs you'd get identical output. So depending on how successful your sales were you'd have a bunch of people trying to buy the same stock. Now if your program actually worked then the amount of money that would move following it's picks would be sufficient to influence the market.

The only way you could continue to use the program would be if the commercial version had a time delay allowing your original version to give you picks before the stampede.

[ QUOTE ]
Why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same reason I don't believe in handicapping services for sports betting. I have been very successful betting on sports. After over a decade doing it I could be selling my picks but why would I? The extra income generated from selling picks is insignificant relative to the primary income of actually wagering.

If I had a program that could beat the market with no human interaction I could easily come up with enough money that the income being generated from trading would make selling the software insignificant.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:05 AM

It still amazes me that anyone would actually believe that buying a $279 "stock program" ,book,or any get-rich quick scheme these scoundrels are pontificating about .....would give them the hidden secret to BEATING a multi-trillion $$$$ entity so easily?

Insane [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

***and I agree Henry,that why would you SELL your successful sports handicapping ability for a small amount of chump change vs. keeping your knowledge/picks to yourself for a much larger return .It can only come back to haunt you IMO anyway