Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2007, 11:53 PM

Default Taking on a student/study partner

Ok, so I'm getting really unmotivated to play hands lately, so to get back in my groove and further develop my game I am going to take on 1-2 people from the forum so that we can learn from each other.

Stipulations
1) NL50 or close to moving up to NL50
2) I need a grinder! Preferably somebody that is dedicated to poker and can put in a fair amount of hands per week (oh like 7k). I play a little bit during the afternoon (Midwest US) and a lot every evening from 5:30PM CST-Midnight.
3) We will discuss HH's, strat, etc. on AIM
4) There will be sweat sessions both ways (I watch you, you watch me). Videos will also be made. While I think it's true that a lot of ppl tend to misplay big pots, there is a lot to be said about small/medium pots as well. These spots are sometimes basic, but misplaying them can be critical. The sweat sessions/videos will hopefully identify some of these areas
5) I prefer if you played on UB, but FT is fine as well.
6) I'm looking for somebody that plays a solid TAG game (like anywhere from 15/13-->20/17). I really don't know much about playing 20+VPIP. I am willing to take on a student that has a smaller VPIP/PFR ratio (like 15/9), but I will make you become more aggressive PF.

What would I like to know about you?????????
a) Level (& experience at that level)
b) Current BR
c) Site
d) Hands/week or month
e) VPIP/PFR
f) Strengths/weaknesses
f) Why should I pick you?
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 PM

Default Re: Taking on a student/study partner

I'd love some coaching as I think I have holes in my game that can be fixed with basic instruction.

I'm very dedicated to learning how to beat this limit (50NL) and can put in a lot of hands on a daily basis.

I currently play on Absolute Poker but have several accounts spread across the interweb.

Been playing around 15/13 for the last little bit, but I have played tighter and looser in the past when I need to.

Finally, you should pick me because I am going to be dedicated to this 100%.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:00 AM

Also, I have a current bankroll of around $950-$1050.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:02 AM

jony I currently play the same limits as you on the same site. You must tell me your nickname cuz u definitely know who I am (ps basterd).

I've been running at 6 ptbb/100 lately (finally). Took me forever to figure out 50NL on UB for some reason. Will move up to 100NL extremely soon.

1k hands/day is a lot for me. Hopefully you will motivate me to play 3-4k while 5-6 tabling (though I find 5 tabling to be quite difficult)....

edit: I played ~700 hands today at 21/17 but generally play a much tighter game at 50NL. It really depends on the table though.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:08 AM

I should mention that I will be playing some NL100 as well (prolly like 1/2 and 1/2). That shouldn't affect anybody's decision to apply though b/c you will get a first hand look at NL100 and strat/discussions apply to ALL levels of poker!

check_the_nuts, check ur PM for my SN
Old 06-08-2007, 12:28 AM

yeah ur a pretty standard TAG from what I can tell. My sample you play tighter over ~1k hands. I don't think I have any notes on you.

only two notable hands versus you. Once I check raised all in with ace high and spiked river in reraised pot. Pretty terrible, dunno why I was trying to play like Krantz. (I obviously didn't get his style).

Other hand I caught you squeezing with AQ when I had JJ. I won coinflip. You were pretty pissed I reraised/called.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:31 AM

ya I remember those hands, I was tilting anyways and then u did that to me! I think I went over the edge after that.

The JJ you should never ever be 4 betting in position. I remember chatting at you and telling you that.
Old 06-08-2007, 12:39 AM

yeah I was pissed you immediately sat out cuz I knew u were tilted? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. Or maybe I just always 4bet JJ preflop I dunno.
Old 06-08-2007, 01:28 AM

I'd love some coaching and any strategy sharing that we could do. I would like to know a bit more about you too though. WHat level you play? Winrate? Etc...basically like how good you are, how much better than me and why this is going to benefit me?

As for me:

A.) I am playing 50NL. I have 122,859 hands logged. 56,367 from May 1st-May 30th. You didn't ask but my winrate is approximately 1.6PTBB and I feel I should be able to do better than that and move up.
B.)$2000-$2600 (Haven't decided yet if I'm gonna withdraw that $600 since I don't really need that large a roll to play 50NL.)
C.) PokerStars
D.) Goal is at least 35 hours a week, like 17,000 hands a week at least. (Out of school now, no job, no law school till Sept 08.)
E.) Since May 1st (56,357 hands) 17.04/14.39
F.) It's hard to analyze your own strengths and weaknesses, but:

Strengths: I think I do a good job opening up on CO and button though maybe even more would be better, Most of the time I can make the fold when it's obvious I'm beat even if I have a good (but not great) hand especially in baluga like situations, I think I've gotten much better at value betting river, other things probably that I'm not quantifying.

Weaknesses: Occassional tilt and making calls when there's almost no way I can be winning, being unsure in certain situations to c-bet or not, I hate those damn flop min-raises and check min-raises (I generally just fold to them now when I have nothing and it's annoying), (hand reading - I think I'm pretty decent if not good at this actually but it's 1 thing I feel that a poker player should be constantly trying to improve on)

E.) You should pick me because I've been playing poker with intent to make money for a year and a half (started at sng's) and I take it very seriously. Currently and for a while into the future I plan for it to be my most signifigant form of income. Also related to that, I will be dedicated to it and will be putting in a lot of hours and hands....many more than you suggested the person you choose should be putting in. My pre-flop stats fall right into the range you're asking for also. Also I actually decided a couple of hours ago that when I play I will now try mixing in 2 tables of 100NL for a while and see how it goes. Perhaps most importantly I am a regular poster on this board and someone who wants to improve his game. So based on all this I think that I'm a pretty good choice for this.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 AM

Bump for the morning crowd....you can also PM me if you want to be considered

I actually don't have PT with me at the moment, but I'm a cashout whore (paying for school/stuff), so I've been playing NL25/50/100 since October '06. Most of my hands are at NL50, I prolly have like 15k hands lifetime at NL100 (3pt/100 or so, but that's an insignificant sample). Last 50k or so of NL50 I think I'm around 6PT/100.