Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: Analysis of A Seven Card Stud Downswing!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I deny the suggestion that I tilted. The statistics do not bear that up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tilt doesn't necessarily imply playing more or fewer hands. Again, your lack of understanding, but insistance is somewhat frustrating.

You should get one of those rubber squeezeballs or something if you're having troubles iwth your emotions.

GL, and lemme know how i can help.

And please stop with the PM's like this

"Mr Stop Loss,

You need therapy. You need to grow up. You need to leave me alone. You need to Stop your Loss. "

[/ QUOTE ]

southerndog you are on tilt and are laughable.

You changed your location to have something to do with me. Then you posted a smartass comment in another thread of mine. Congratulations, you win the Tilter of the Year Award.

You need to say sorry to your mouse and re-plaster your walls rather than make antagonistic posts in my thread.

If I need to pm you again I will Mr Stop Loss.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:53 PM

Freezeout!!! Tilt monkey vs head case - all the makings of a classic. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2007, 09:00 PM

I have gone through far worse downswings in stud. I admit I'm no professional, but I had read stuff by Chip Reese numerous times before playing stud-7 on prima. Let me tell you, I would have three queens showing, and even still have people chasing me trying to catch gut-shots straights all the way. I lost something like 100 BBs each session for the first three session. Some people didn't even have a hope of a draw but kept chasing me to the river. I would raise with an ace showing, pair my ace doorcard, and even STILL have people chasing who started off with 2-7-Q rainbow and had no pair the whole way or even a 2-flush.

O_o

The fact that I lost so bad and got my rear kicked by players who clearly couldn't even read anyone elses board (or their own for that matter), definitely puts me as the #1 WORST stud-7 player alive. I think.

If someone can tell me a better horror story to perhaps make me feel a little less ashamed of myself... please do.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:18 PM

Red diamond,

I really liked your honest and self-effacing post. Worse horror story: here goes; a home game all anybody knows is how to play seven card stud, just the rules. They play drunk, drugged up, beginners to the game, none of them especially clever and they played hopelessly. It took eleven sessions to show a profit at that home game. Though, once I started winning there was no stopping me. Skill outs in the end and the bad guys bite the dust.
Old 02-08-2007, 02:26 AM

What loose play means is that your hand has to hold up against many other players' hands, not just the one guy who happened to rake the pot.

Take (AA)x and put it up against 5 random hands that won't fold and you're a 3:1 dog to win that pot. Sure, that's better than the other hands, but still, you're going to lose the great majority of those pots. It takes many, many hands for the pots you win to pay for the ones you lose, and if you're playing tighter than your opponents, you won't be playing as many pots. In the short term, you can expect to go into the hole pretty often in loose games.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What loose play means is that your hand has to hold up against many other players' hands, not just the one guy who happened to rake the pot.

Take (AA)x and put it up against 5 random hands that won't fold and you're a 3:1 dog to win that pot. Sure, that's better than the other hands, but still, you're going to lose the great majority of those pots. It takes many, many hands for the pots you win to pay for the ones you lose, and if you're playing tighter than your opponents, you won't be playing as many pots. In the short term, you can expect to go into the hole pretty often in loose games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the post Steve.

The point you make is well known to me.

It appears in the S&M oeuvre, possibly Sklansky On Poker?

Your post shows a lot of good will on your part.

Thank you,

Al Mirpuri.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:55 AM

Stud also gives the skilled player more opportunity to get away from good starters or extract extra when he hits. Last night in a live game I had (xA)A and bet into two players, one a known calling station. I didn't improve and each opponent caught one of my aces. On sixth, one opponent made a 3 flush on board (his door and fourth street were both of the suit) and bet out. I folded my dead aces.

In another hand, a known lag raised it up on third with a King in the door, I called with pocket 8s, several others called as well. I made hidden trips on fourth, filled on sixth and two opponents made flushes and we capped it up for double bets on the river.

So in one case, I started best but got away when I fell behind. In the other, I peeled based on implied odds and collected when I hit. This is why I really believe that, if the number of new players/fish in each game were equal, the skilled player has more edge in stud.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:57 AM

I totally agree MRBAA Stud allows nuanced play, much more nuanced than Hold'em can manage.