Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing

Old 11-29-2007, 01:14 AM

Default Re: who\'s buying Citigroup

[ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but Citigroup is run by a bunch of morons. Just compare the costs of their recent debt and equity financing to see what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice how you call the morons after the fact. Thanks for playing!
Old 11-29-2007, 01:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too good to be true? The company takes out what amounts to a subprime mortgage, and pays 11% interest. That sure sounds like desparation. Too good to be true, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's actually a great deal for Citi, all things considered. Thinking of this as paying 11% in interest is entirely misleading, given that the mandatory conversion provision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, so that after the conversion, it's highly dilutive. Nice.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Too good to be true? The company takes out what amounts to a subprime mortgage, and pays 11% interest. That sure sounds like desparation. Too good to be true, lol.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are trying to make a complex transaction seem too simplistic.

Jimbo

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but Citigroup is run by a bunch of morons. Just compare the costs of their recent debt and equity financing to see what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think when you call the citi mgmt team a bunch of morons, the onus of proof falls on your shoulders, not anyone else. The mgmt team, I daresay, has a pretty good pedigree. there may be slightly more than meets the eye to this transaction.

In any event, I would welcome a post by you with thoughtful reasons to backup your statements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Morons, maybe not. Excessively greedy and imprudent, certainly. Inadequate, or no DD on a lot of garbage paper. And then trying to hide it by putting off the writedowns as long as possible.