Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 AM

Default 360 Woes (help needed)

Ok, so I'm going to go buy a 360 today and have been researching the great library of games touted on this forum. Looking at the top scoring games this is the list of the top 10 (genre only)

Role-Playing
Sci-Fi First-Person Shooter
Modern Tactical Shooter
GT / Street Racing
Modern Tactical Shooter
Rhythm / Music
GT / Street Racing
Historic First-Person Shooter

Ok, so I have Obivion on PS3, GH2 on PS2, don't like racing games, have Resistance on PS3 and am buying Halo 3 today, so I don't need another shooter. Please recommend me a good game on the 360 that isn't any of the above. Either a good 3rd person action/adventure game or a good RPG. I would also like to either have a lot of replay value, or a game that takes 25+ hrs to beat. Please help me.

Also, wtf is up w/ the good games on 360 either being shooters or racing games (beside oblivion and GH2)? I love a good 3rd person game, are they falling out? Anyone have any insight why they are getting worse?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:03 PM

Default Re: 360 Woes (help needed)

All these 360 posts and no one has a non FPS/Racing Game to recommend? Isn't anyone else suprised that the best games to come out are all shooters, racers, GH2 or Oblivion?
Old 09-25-2007, 12:26 PM

Patience. This forum isn't as high traffic as some others.

I'd get Bioshock. I haven't played it yet but will be buying it as soon as I put together my new PC. From what I've read, it isn't your typical FPS.
Old 09-25-2007, 12:57 PM

What's that third person shooter where you have to stay in the light because of the weird bat things? Is it Gears of War? Something else, maybe? No clue, I don't own a 360.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Patience. This forum isn't as high traffic as some others.

I'd get Bioshock. I haven't played it yet but will be buying it as soon as I put together my new PC. From what I've read, it isn't your typical FPS.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I know, I am just leaving work shortly and wanted some advice. I think I'm going to wait on Bioshock 'til I'm sick of Halo 3 and the price has dropped. So, unless I can't find a copy of Halo 3 I'm just gonna wait.

I really liked Prince of Persia on the original xbox, so I was hoping there would be a game like that on the 360. Either that or a good RPG. I have oblivion and like the FF series, anything good out there?
Old 09-25-2007, 02:41 PM

Dead Rising is an awesome 3rd person action game - and its also platinum now so you can pick it up on the cheap. As far as RPGs, Blue Dragon, by far. Just make sure you download the hard mode off XBox live before playing. It brings the game to an entirely new level, that should have been default. Eternal Sonata is also getting pretty good reviews, but I have yet to play it. From RPG fans who picked up both early (in Japan), most generally consider Blue Dragon superior - but US reviews would lead you to believe otherwise. Eternal Sonata definitely has the much better demo, but the Blue Dragon demo is just a really bad joke. You might also want to check out Overlord. It's difficult to describe - check out the demo. Also, Fight Night Round 3 is definitely worth checking out. I'm also not much of a sports game fan - but the controls in that game just make it incredibly fun. There's also Saint's Row. Effectively a GTA clone, yet again - check out the demo.

The best idea would really just be to fire up XBox live. There are demos for the vast majority of games available. You're going to see shooters/racers at the top of sales and reviews because the 360 to an extent has been pigeon holded into that. Games like Blue Dragon, Viva Pinata, countless fun and unique arcade games, etc. are all awesome games and great fun - but they're still pretty far away from most of the 360 demographic.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:47 PM

Gears of War is a 3rd-person shooter and is one of the most successful 360 games yet. Gameplay-wise it's closer to a FPS than action/adventure, but it's a really solid game (and looks great).

Others will disagree, but I think that Stranglehold is pretty fun, although it's not likely to be 25 hours of gameplay. If you play the demo, don't judge it until you unlock the harder the difficulty levels - it's starts out too easy (not forcing you to use cover or do any cool tricks), but by the time you unlock "hard boiled" it's actually quite fun and rewarding. Also, spend a minute adjusting the gamma/graphics settings, because for some reason they have it defaulting to "butt ugly".

Like Dire said, check out the demos on XBL - there are a ton of them on there. They can take hours to download, though, so go on and start one downloading before you sit down to play (it'll download in the background).
Old 09-26-2007, 01:32 AM

I strongly suggest Marvel Ultimate Alliance as an RPG. Huge amount of playable superheroes all with unique superpowers. You play as a party of 4 (out of about 20-30 depending on how many are locked) and can switch out team members at every save point.

The animations are amazing, and really make the game. Lots of very cool moves that are easy to pull off thanks to an intuitive control scheme. The story is also pretty good in it, if a little over the top.

My one qualm with it is that there is some poor level design where your not too sure where to go or what to do. However, this game is so fun that it greatly outweighs that.

All of the tedious parts of RPGs that I don't like are taken out. You gain health and energy (mana) by killing enemies or breaking open crates. There is no inventory management, although you can still pick up equipment for boosts. You don't need to worry about what sword or shield you are carrying, since all weapons and powers are inherent to a certain superhero.

The single player campaign will probably last about 15-20 hours, but there is huge replayability in it. You can go through again with different people for a completely different experience.

There are also "simulator missions" which are on disks scattered throughout the levels. These function as mini-missions outside of the main storyline that put you in control of a single superhero fighting a significant battle that he or she has fought in the comics. This definetely adds a lot of hours of playtime since there is a disk for every hero, plus some for fighting certain supervillains as any hero.

It's been out for a while now so you should be able to pick it up pretty cheap. I picked it up about 2 weeks ago for $40 CDN, so you can probably get it for $30.
Old 09-26-2007, 01:34 AM

Also, it should be noted that there is a significant RPG element to Bioshock. Lots of powers to get and skills to upgrade.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:37 AM

Also, check out Crack Down for sure. It's a free roaming third person game like GTA, but you're basically a super-cop of sorts. You collect various orbs throughout the world to increase your powers / upgrade your cars / etc. By the end of the game you can leap between sky scrapers, lift/throw dump trucks, have an SUV that can climb buildings, etc. The fighting is also pretty novel with a 'timed' lock-on system and body part damage. So you can lock onto somebody's torso and just do damage, but wait a little longer and you can shoot their leg sending them down, wait even longer and go for a headshot, etc.. Kind of hard to describe, but it's alot of fun. Yet again, check out the demo.