FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you want me to stop posting in BBV
Yes 142 47.33%
No 158 52.67%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 PM

Default Re: 5 Biggest College Basketball Programs Right Now

[ QUOTE ]

Duke has 2 more Final 4s than Kansas, one more title, 12 more tournament wins, and 8 less tournament losses.

They have also never been the victim of a huge first round upset, while Kansas has twice.

Pretty hard to argue Kansas > Duke imo, and I'm a Maryland fan.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 12 more tournament wins just say that Duke has had their best run recently and has benefited from the expanded field. The 8 less losses just show they've been to the tournament less than Kansas.

My point is that Duke doesn't have near the history of the other 5. Yes they have all the numbers, but the glory is mainly confined to one very good era.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Duke has 2 more Final 4s than Kansas, one more title, 12 more tournament wins, and 8 less tournament losses.

They have also never been the victim of a huge first round upset, while Kansas has twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really call last year a huge upset for KU. What were they a 4 seed IIRC? 13 beating 4 isn't a huge upset, but the year before that was. I probably give Kansas the nod based on the years they have been good and that Duke's success has came under one coahc/era, but I see your points.

It's UCLA number one overall and I don't see how it can't be. When I think of great college basketball programs the national titles under Wooden just bounce in my head to much for it to be anyone else. Most titles, most final 4 apperances, etc. Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC round out the top 5 with no one else really coming close to beating one of these schools out.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really call last year a huge upset for KU. What were they a 4 seed IIRC? 13 beating 4 isn't a huge upset, but the year before that was. I probably give Kansas the nod based on the years they have been good and that Duke's success has came under one coahc/era, but I see your points.

It's UCLA number one overall and I don't see how it can't be. When I think of great college basketball programs the national titles under Wooden just bounce in my head to much for it to be anyone else. Most titles, most final 4 apperances, etc. Kansas, UK, Duke, UNC round out the top 5 with no one else really coming close to beating one of these schools out.

[/ QUOTE ]

UCLA definitely is the top overall program. They haven't been nearly as dominant since the mid 70s as they were before but of course that's almost impossible to be.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It is reasonable call those top 5, but saying no one else comes close is a serious slight to Indiana.
Old 03-27-2007, 12:55 AM

Yeah I probably overlooked Indiana...but I don't forsee them being mentioned in the same breath anytime soon as those 5. What I was trying to say is when you think of the upper echelon of basketball programs all time wise I think those 5 have a pretty tight grip on their spots for the near future.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I probably overlooked Indiana...but I don't forsee them being mentioned in the same breath anytime soon as those 5. What I was trying to say is when you think of the upper echelon of basketball programs all time wise I think those 5 have a pretty tight grip on their spots for the near future.

[/ QUOTE ]
wtf, basically anyone who knows anything about College basketball mentions Indiana in the same breath as those other 5 schools. Hell, its already happened a bunch of times in this thread.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:04 AM

I'm sorry...I just simply don't see Indiana as being that close. Kelvin Sampson goes to Indiana...no one really cared. The Kentucky job opens everyone cares, and it's a job that could "seemingly" draw just about any coach it wanted. To me the top 5 are clear...
Old 03-27-2007, 02:44 AM

If I was a high school senior with a brain and could go anywhere I wanted to play college basketball, i would go to
1. Duke
2. UNC
3. UCLA
4. Georgetown
5. Stanford

If I was a high school senior withOUT a brain and could go anywhere I wanted to play college basketball, i would go to

0. UCONN
1. Kentucky
2. Arizona
3. Kansas
4. Memphis
5. Louisville
Old 03-27-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry...I just simply don't see Indiana as being that close. Kelvin Sampson goes to Indiana...no one really cared. The Kentucky job opens everyone cares, and it's a job that could "seemingly" draw just about any coach it wanted. To me the top 5 are clear...

[/ QUOTE ]

That has everything to do with money nothing to do with historical basketball prominence. Also, lets be sure to revisit this when Billy Donovan turns down Kentucky in a couple weeks.
Old 03-27-2007, 04:20 AM

Not to pimp my own school too much, but Kansas is pretty much the trunk from which all great college basketball branches.

In addition to the multitude of conference championships (50!), tourney appearances, final fours, national championsips, etc that we all know...

Kansas is home to:
James Naismith
- nailed a peach basket to a wall
- was the only coach in KU history with a losing record
Phog Allen
- retired with, by far, the most wins of any coach at the time (771)
- was possibly THE most important person in making basketball an olympic sport (the effects of this on the current popularity of the game are huge.
- coached and taught Adolph Rupp
- coached and taught Dean Smith

The 3 winningest programs in college basketball history all play in arenas named after Kansas alumni. The 2 most important men in the advancement of basketball as a sport were Kansas coaches.

So to whoever said that Duke is obviously ahead of Kansas... well, I'm going to bite my tongue.