Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2007, 08:11 PM

Default Re: How Kenny Tran Rates Internet Players

I've played a good amount of high-stakes live poker. The majority of live players over-rate themselves because they're used to playing such ridiculously soft lineups (like the average 10-20 NL game online is way tougher than the 9-handed 25-50 to 100-200-400 games I've played). Now I don't have extensive history with the absolute best and I do believe that online players are probably likely to underrate how good certain players are at live NLHE and making reads.

Still, at the end of the day the majority of well-respected live players if you listen to them talk about what they were thinking during a hand, are so ridiculously incapable of critically analyzing hands that the thought of them being better than elite online players is absurd (here I'm mainly talking about the older generation. There are young players who play mainly live who I have a lot of respect for but I don't think Kenny would put in his top 20).

Long story short, give any elite online player a month of constant live NL experience and if they haven't killed themselves from boredom they'll be able to dominate most live pros. And then once they figure out all the reverse tells that will totally baffle live pros who assume no online player could ever do something so tricky, it's game over.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Seen as it was brought up as a joke in the other thread, David can you ask him his opinion on Brad Booth and if he ranks in the top 20.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:20 PM

I wonder how many online players Barry Greenstein would have in his top 20.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 PM

each realm has its own merits.

i really think that the top live players would have an edge over someone who is strictly an internet player and vise versa.

i keep hearing this same argument over and over and over. why dont the parties involved set up some matches? talk to some one at gsn and get something started. it would make great t.v.

but then again, what internet player doesnt play live? now it seems more of an argument of who the best player is..... period.

it seems like an eternal argument.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:57 PM

back to the folding KK preflop. i sure i have read countless times here and maybe in books that you should never fold KK preflop. people were adamant about it! also even the live donks calls 100s of thousands with KK preflop, Greenstein v farha (well it was farha but hey live donk)
Old 11-18-2007, 09:00 PM

Please ask Kenny how he rate players and who is the best besides himself? I do agree he's the best.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:01 PM

awesome raptor

[ QUOTE ]
The best thing about this, is we could actually set it up, and everyone from our side would be very interested in playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think this is obv the key. if these guys think the internet players are so bad, they would be itching to play. it seems like only vice versa is true.

thats really all you need to know.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

QFT

the only thing that seems to be preventing us internet kids from crushing the biggest live games is that we can't get invited to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

last ive read, even the so called open 100/200 game at the venetian is hand picked by gabe thaler and he refuses to run it if some online player comes
Old 11-18-2007, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

QFT

the only thing that seems to be preventing us internet kids from crushing the biggest live games is that we can't get invited to them.

[/ QUOTE ]

last ive read, even the so called open 100/200 game at the venetian is hand picked by gabe thaler and he refuses to run it if some online player comes

[/ QUOTE ]

It might have something to do with internet players are unknown/ antisocial/no fun as we saw in HSP...
Old 11-18-2007, 09:28 PM

my guess is that Kenny Tran has played longer/more hands in live nl cash games than any of the big name online cash players. so if he's talking about the high stakes nl full ring games, i do believe he prolly has more knowledge to make statements like that based on his knowledge. of course maybe he hasn't played enough w/ the online players all that much, he mite lack respect for certain players that we look up to. it doesnt' mean that he's right, we all have the right to make judgement based on our own knowledge.

and IMO being the best in nl cash games live means more than knowing this game on the technical side, but also ur attitude, ur personality and even abilities to engage in enjoyable conversation. the whales in the games are playing to have a good time. for all i know, i wouldn't want to play in a game where everyone else in the game can destroy me completely. it is true that these rich ppl want to play the best in the world, but wut makes them come back everytime is how much they ENJOY PLAYING w/ the best, not getting spanked harshly.

we do have a lot of narrow minded, beligerent and bored people in NVG forum lol. maybe it's better for people to actually think for a sec before blatantly make comments like "LOL @ kenny tran saying online players can't laydown a hand" etc. posts like that really contribute nothing.

can't wait to get flamed for this lol