Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 11-25-2007, 05:01 PM

Default Re: this is your war on drugs

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their expertise is there to guide you, to point you in the way of the information that you need. Personally, I can't imagine a scenario that I'd NOT listen to the doctor, but I shouldn't be prosecuted for it if I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd be ok with decisions to totally ignore the advice of the doctor and requisition any drug that someone felt like getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to speak for anyone but myself, but yes.

If you think otherwise, please explain what you think makes doctors and lawyers different. I mean, more than "I don't see that being the same as writing prescriptions." WHY is that not the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't understand your question. If the question is as follows:

How is ignoring a doctors advice and being able to requisition any drug you want different from not having a prescriptions?

The answer is they're really not different.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

[ QUOTE ]
If the question is:

How is ignoring a doctors advice different from ignoring a lawyer's advice?

That's easy, you can't take any medicine you feel like while you do have the right to represent yourself in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. We know what the legal status quo is, the question is to find the JUSTIFICATION for that.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you can't take any medicine you feel like

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? If the answer is to protect yourself, why does the same not hold true for law advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ask me to tell you why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I want to know why you can't take any medicine you feel like. I honestly can't think of any reason why not except you might hurt yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's easy, because it's against the law and it's also hard to get some drugs without a prescription.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Their expertise is there to guide you, to point you in the way of the information that you need. Personally, I can't imagine a scenario that I'd NOT listen to the doctor, but I shouldn't be prosecuted for it if I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd be ok with decisions to totally ignore the advice of the doctor and requisition any drug that someone felt like getting?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you think otherwise, please explain what you think makes doctors and lawyers different. I mean, more than "I don't see that being the same as writing prescriptions." WHY is that not the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is ignoring a doctors advice and being able to requisition any drug you want different from not having a prescriptions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

[ QUOTE ]
If the question is:

That's easy, you can't take any medicine you feel like while you do have the right to represent yourself in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ugh. We know what the legal status quo is, the question is to find the JUSTIFICATION for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I merely commented on the story that:

a) I haven't heard both sides of the story yet.

b) That undertaking illegal activities is risky and undertaking risks has a downside.

c) a) and b) make this an unremarkable story.

I think we're getting to the real point of natedogg's post i.e. the argument as to whether or not medicine and medical care should be regulated in the U.S. the way it is. Of course this includes the idea of doctors issuing prescriptions for drugs.

Not sure why I've been appointed by the posters in this thread as the one to defend the government's position and the U.S. laws regarding drugs and medicine. I suppose it's due to the fact that I don't feel particularly outraged by a one-sided account but that seems ridiculous on it's face.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:12 PM

Thank you.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:17 PM

Default Re: The folly of prescriptions

I've said before that I'm in favor of legalizing all drugs. Regarding medicinal drugs, I would keep the FDA, but make its role advisory. Unapproved drugs would be use at your own risk. Those with a significant abuse potential would be handled like liquor, sold by licensed stores similar to liquor stores. Over-the-counter drugs would be handled pretty much as they are now. Prescription drugs would be labeled as such, but you would be able to buy them, with the proviso that you assume the risk of doing so. If you die or get ill through use of a prescription drug (or an unapproved drug) that you use without prescription, you (or your spouse or relatives if you die) don't have any right to sue the manufacturer or the pharmacy that sold you the drugs. Same if you mis-diagnose yourself and take the wrong medication. Insurance companies could choose not to pay for the use of unprescribed prescription drugs or unapproved drugs -- their choice.

We already have an unregulated medicinal market -- herbals and supplements. Most of these are crap, but some work (I find zinc lozenges very helpful in reducing the severity of colds).
Old 11-25-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you can't take any medicine you feel like

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not? If the answer is to protect yourself, why does the same not hold true for law advice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you ask me to tell you why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I want to know why you can't take any medicine you feel like. I honestly can't think of any reason why not except you might hurt yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's easy, because it's against the law and it's also hard to get some drugs without a prescription.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all seriousness, not being a smartass, you know what a circular argument is right?

natedogg
Old 11-25-2007, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd be ok with decisions to totally ignore the advice of the doctor and requisition any drug that someone felt like getting? Could be something else I don't know. But if you have the freedom to administer any drug to yourself that you want you certainly aren't required to consult with a physician.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you're not required to consult with a physician. But why wouldn't you? I mean, just because I no longer REQUIRE a "doctor's note" to get medicines doesn't mean that I won't consult with them to find out what I should be taking. I'm not going to suddenly turn stupid.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right.

[ QUOTE ]
If the question is:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I merely commented on the story that:

a) I haven't heard both sides of the story yet.

b) That undertaking illegal activities is risky and undertaking risks has a downside.

c) a) and b) make this an unremarkable story.

I think we're getting to the real point of natedogg's post i.e. the argument as to whether or not medicine and medical care should be regulated in the U.S. the way it is. Of course this includes the idea of doctors issuing prescriptions for drugs.

Not sure why I've been appointed by the posters in this thread as the one to defend the government's position and the U.S. laws regarding drugs and medicine. I suppose it's due to the fact that I don't feel particularly outraged by a one-sided account but that seems ridiculous on it's face.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point is, there is no difference between what you now claim this thread is about and the "war on drugs." The thread has ALWAYS been about this, because this is what the war on drugs is all about.

And you havent been appointed anything. You've made some arguments, some people have responded. Of COURSE this thread is about how medicines and drugs should be handled in the US....the thread is titled the War on Drugs, thats what the war is about, and presumably we all understood it was referring to the US.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you'd be ok with decisions to totally ignore the advice of the doctor and requisition any drug that someone felt like getting? Could be something else I don't know. But if you have the freedom to administer any drug to yourself that you want you certainly aren't required to consult with a physician.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, you're not required to consult with a physician. But why wouldn't you? I mean, just because I no longer REQUIRE a "doctor's note" to get medicines doesn't mean that I won't consult with them to find out what I should be taking. I'm not going to suddenly turn stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. You can defend yourself in court but why would you?
Old 11-25-2007, 05:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. You can defend yourself in court but why would you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.