Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2007, 01:22 PM

Default Re: Put deposit on vehicle, Dealership not honoring - whats my play?

[ QUOTE ]
wow, that's a lot of [censored] work for a goddamn camry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really, it was fun actually. The looks I got when I came back the next day were priceless.

And you got remember this was back when a GM and other american made cars would be back for repairs when they were still in the break-in phase. They were total crap, so I was looking for low maintenance.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer offering 2.9% atm. Seems like a good deal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know you will qualify for this rate? Most people don't and it's just another way for the dealership to stick it to you. Unless you have near prefect credit, good luck getting this rate. In the US, you need like a 780 credit score for these rates when the average is somewhere around 720. Even if you qualify, some dealerships might lie and say you didn't. You then go to look for your loan elsewhere and you cant get good rates because the dealership has just nicked you with a hard pull. Always secure your loan before shopping.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:56 PM

You got some good advice here. Get your deposit back. Go to another dealer and this time do no take any crap or trust anything they say.

Do not put anything down until you take delivery of the car. Get an exact delivery date from the dealer and the VIN number of the car (or its Canadian equivalent).

Basically assume that from the moment you start talking to the salesman everything he says or does is an attempt to manipulate you. There are always going to give you some reason why you can't get the car you want and will try to sell you some other car. Just don't give in on any of your demands and they will come around. If they don't come around, go to another dealer. In fact, even if they do come around you may want to go to another dealer to see if you can get a better deal.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:12 PM

BAN Canada???
Old 05-31-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This probably won't help you unless you get as lucky as I did when I bought my first Toyota. Back then there were quotas on Japanese imports and you couldn't really get a good deal on a Camry but somehow I negotiated a decent deal and made a deposit and had a signed agreement.

They told me that as soon as one was available they would call me. Then I waited and waited. After numerous calls and couple of months of runarounds, I went to the dealership with my wife to try and get them to cut the [censored].

Of course at any time I could have gotten my deposit back but I wanted the car. My wife didn't want to go in and stayed in the car so I went in and the salesman took me into his office. He was very apologetic and waved a printout of all the back orders and told me I just had to be more patient.

I told him that that wasn't good enough and that I wanted to speak with the sales manager. He said ok. I'll go get him and left me alone in the office. I started going through the printouts and found evidence that they were delivering cars to other cutomers who had signed agreements dated later than mine.

I was very upset and took the paperwork and went into the showroom and asked where the sales managers offfice was and went in there and waving my evidence said if they didn't deliver me a car asap I was going call the Attorney General's office in the morning and started walking out.

There were 3 salesmen hanging around and the sales manager yells at them to tackle me and get that paperwork back. I had no problem getting into a scuffle with these guys but it was going to be in the public in front of people so I put my head down and bulled through them into the showroom.

They didn't really have their heart into stopping me and I got away pretty easily and then started shouting in the showroom what a bunch of crooks these people were. I got to my car and wife is looking at me like I'm a madman or something and I tell her what happened. She just shakes her head as that was kind of par for the course for me in those days.

So we get home and around 9:30 pm the phone rings and it's the owner of the dealership calling me to apologize and tell me that it was all a mixup and they actually have a car for me and I could pick it up the next day which I did. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you give them money after that? Did you at least get more off the original price?
Old 05-31-2007, 06:21 PM

There was a quota on Japanese imports. They were in such demand, some people were paying over sticker. This is why they wouldn't deliver me my car, because they had other customers willing to pay more. If I cut bait here, there was no way I was going to get as good a deal elsewhere.
Old 05-31-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw can anyone who has worked for a car dealership tell me how long it normally takes to get someone approved for financing?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am the General Sales Manager in a car dealership.

It should take like 5 mins. The reason for it to take longer is because your credit is either maxed or you have not had much credit or you are a roach and you don't pay your bills consistently and on time.

How do you expect a dealership to deliver you car that they can't get? They are in business to sell you a car so obviously if they could get it they would. Perhaps they could hire David Copperfield to conjure up the exact car that you want.

You can get your deposit back no problem. If they can't deliver the car to the description of what is on the bill of sale then they have no ability to keep your funds.

This dealer is not trying to screw you. This [censored] happens all of the time. They want a deposit from you because customers will:

1. Say they want a car

2. Let dealer make a bunch of calls and expend a ton of energy, spend money in trade fees and transportation cost and get the car for the customer.

3. Have customer change their mind and want to walk away from the deal

Your deposit is for leverage so YOU hold up your end of the bargain and take delivery.

Go get your deposit back OR work with the dealer to get you the car that is closest to what you want that he can get for you.

You could probably order a 2008 and get exactly what you want in a few months.

I have seen this scenario a hundred times. Customer can't get exactly what he wants so he trows a fit in the showroom, calls everyone crooks and stomps out the door. Car salesman are crooks. Right!!!!

Tell me this. Would you throw a fit or post on a forum about getting scammed if you went to the Gap and they were sold out of the shirt you came to buy?
Old 05-31-2007, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dealer offering 2.9% atm. Seems like a good deal to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you know you will qualify for this rate? Most people don't and it's just another way for the dealership to stick it to you. Unless you have near prefect credit, good luck getting this rate. In the US, you need like a 780 credit score for these rates when the average is somewhere around 720. Even if you qualify, some dealerships might lie and say you didn't. You then go to look for your loan elsewhere and you cant get good rates because the dealership has just nicked you with a hard pull. Always secure your loan before shopping.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am Canadian and our dealership delivered 68 New Cars this month and EVERY SINGLE ONE was delivered at the advertised Lease or finance rates.

What you are describing above in scam that is run in US dealerships NOT in Canada.
Old 05-31-2007, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Car salesman are crooks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, they are. Both my dad and my sister are or were car salepersons - they told me all the stories that most car salespeople do. CAR SALESMEN ARE LYING, CHEATING CROOKS.

AB