Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:38 AM

Default Re: What Have You Collected?

I remember having various types of those too, but it was so long ago and they were so diverse I can hardly remember which. I do recall some that had characters from Hanna Barbera cartoons on them, and some of my favorite cartoon characters -- The Mighty Heroes.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:02 PM

I used to collect porcelain dolls for my daughter, had about 25 of them, they were in her room and then she started freaking out, said they were scaring so we got rid of them, LOL.

T
Old 10-16-2007, 02:58 PM

Oh, I just remembered another one!

I was in Boy Scouts when I was a kid and we would collect patches from different events we would go to. When you went to special event camp or whatever you would get patches for that event or camp. Then you could use these patches to trade for other event patches. There were all different kinds of these thing and they were all unique. Different sizes, shapes and colors.

I went to a National Jamboree one of the years I was in Scouts and ended up with patches from all over the world after that. I ended up with a special vest that was covered with these patches that I could wear with my uniform.

They would something like this:

This is actually the patch from the Jamboree I attended

Here are some other examples of the different types

Council Patches
Summer Camps
Order of the Arrow Pocket flap patches
Old 10-16-2007, 03:15 PM

I also had a huge bottle collection when I was a kid. It's one of the things that convinced me to stop collecting bulky things. Lots of people liked looking at them, but they just took up so much space.

I didn't learn my lesson too well, though, because I still had a couple of years-long binges of collecting comics. They also took up a ton of space, in volume.

Oh, and I also collected matchbooks. I had a whole lot of them, and would put them on strings and hang in rows from the wall. Many of them were really beautiful, some elegant, some elaborate, one from the Empire State building was like half a foot long. I really enjoyed that collection, and it was surprisingly vibrant and popular with friends. It was also a great one for friends to contribute to when they went traveling, as anyone can pack a matchbook or two to take home, and most of them are free or can be had for pennies.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I could also say I collect CDs, I actually buy them. I have atleast 500, I like reading the notes (where it was recorded, who mixed, engineered, produced, etc. etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
Funny that people actually have to mention that they buy CDs.

I actually used to collect CDs also. I had over 1000 at one point. But my collection got completely unweildly by then (actually well before then). So I converted everything to digital. Takes up much less space and I can instantly switch between artists.

As for liner notes, as I got north of 500 CDs, I realized that I would never even look at the liner notes anymore. I'd buy the CD, pop it in the CD player and never look at the notes.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:02 PM

I always read them. I couldn't imagine not reading them. They're like a little prize hiding inside.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:32 PM

It's good to read the liner notes because every day in the NY Times crossword, they ask about a music producer. You can confidently write Bob Ezren. Liner notes show how small the music business is, and the oddest combinations of people at times. Did you know that Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers works with Jewel?

EDIT: I am so sad to see album art go. A tool album will never be the same without the jewel box.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:48 PM

I collect too much as I can't seem to throw anything away and every few years I start a new collection of something, get bored, and start a new collection.
I do have 2 particular collections I enjoy the most. Game- used sports equipment memorabilia such as game used hockey sticks( my best being an autographed Steve Yzerman and Martin Brodeur)and a pewter collection with about 50 pieces.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Katy

[ QUOTE ]
DUH, Voracious just reminded me of my newest collection. Liquor bottles. Just started it about 3 weeks ago, they are all sitting on my kitchen counter, and they've almost all been finished by myself, although others helped drink at my local bar. I have about 12 so far and I only collect really cool looking ones. I must post pics of the collection, it's pretty cool actually, unique and different bottles. One is shaped like a bong (Vodka) it's pretty cool.

T

[/ QUOTE ]

Pics of my collection. Bong Vodka bottle is on the far right, with blue print, may be hard to see, sorry!!

T
Old 10-21-2007, 06:37 AM

I have *every issue* of Card Player starting from the first issue back in 1989. I have no idea why I continue to collect them except some fantasy that a complete collection might be worth something.

The odd thing is I'm otherwise ruthless regarding not letting my place getting cluttered with junk.

~ Rick

** Actually it's almost every issue. I'm missing about three to five issues from about ten to fifteen years back.