Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2007, 01:21 AM

Default 25NL vs. 50NL

Hey guys, my bankroll is climbing its way over 600 these days, and I'm consistently winning at 25NL.

Every time I stick my head into 50NL, though, I win a bit, lose a bit, get knocked around, and usually end up even or down.

Now, the leaks I think I'm finding are:
In 25NL I am willing to go to war with TPTK, because I know the donks are going to spew it to me. In 50NL though, this seems very expensive, costing me more than anything.

Preflop play in 50 is much more aggressive and really bugs me out. I don't know whether to turtle up and play super-standard, only 3-bet JJ+, only call 3-bets with set odds, etc. Or to try to read hands or what.

Does anyone have any advice on moving up, any more specific thoughts and common leaks that follow you from 25 to 50? (and yes, I've read the stickies)?
Old 11-08-2007, 05:14 AM

Default Re: 25NL vs. 50NL

First i can tell you that if u beat 25nl YOU CAN beat 50nl. I think you need a bankroll a bit over that, i would recommend at least 1k. It is good that your taking shots to get a feel of it, once you have the appropiate br it will be easier. You can bluff more at 50nl and i think you can open your range of hands also. Play is only slightly better and once you ge the touch it will be easier. Play tight aggresive at fisrt and then once you get the feel open your game up.

dont know if that was much of help lol, i suck at teaching
Old 11-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Don't overvalue TPTK at ANY level.

Make sure either....

1) You already have enough equity in the pot to stack off with it

or

2) You know villian is a donk that will stack off with less than TPTK.

Also, I would not go overboard with bluffing at 50NL. It is important to PICK YOUR SPOTS when bluffing. Know your villian and KNOW a bluff can push him off of his hand.

50NL is still an ABC level of poker and playing that style will make the money. Just remember at any level, big hands = big pots, small hands (tptk) = small pots.

I had a nice run this year going from $150 to over 2.5k playing 10-12 hours a week at MOST with 80% of that playing 50NL ABC poker. And you can too....good luck.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM

50NL is still ABC poker.

- You'll have to get a little better at picking out the good players from the complete fish, as there are more good players.

- Preflop, punish limpers without mercy if you have position on them, and then follow up with a c-bet the majority of the time. I don't see too many people floating flops with complete air at that level, so if they call your c-bet, you can assume they at least have a good draw.
Old 11-08-2007, 08:59 PM

IMO NL50 has much better players. There are guys who really know what they are doing and you find much less total donks. However, the level of play is still low.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
50NL is still ABC poker.

- You'll have to get a little better at picking out the good players from the complete fish, as there are more good players.

- Preflop, punish limpers without mercy if you have position on them, and then follow up with a c-bet the majority of the time. I don't see too many people floating flops with complete air at that level, so if they call your c-bet, you can assume they at least have a good draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

fantastic advice for NL50
Old 11-09-2007, 09:47 PM

On seperating the donks from players, PA Hud and PT have been my savior. I found it moderately helpful in tourneys but since my move to cash games it can make a lot of read dependant moves a slam dunk multitabling. It seems on most of the 50NL tables I play you will normally be sitting with 6 complete nits, 2 loose or super loose guys, and yourself and however you play. Now mind you this is just my observations after 4k in hands but it has seemed to be pretty consistent during every session.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 PM

25nl and 50nl not much change