Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 PM

Default my style

does everyone here pretty much stick with there natural style for the most part? ive found that i play alot like dan harrington, ill stay short stack or average the whole tourny then next think i know im at the final table. but when i try to play a little more aggressive and build a stack i screw it up somewhere and lose it then im on tilt or right back in the same position i would be if i was playing normal. im naturally a more conservative person and i feel more comfortable playing that way. just sucks sometimes when every single decision could be for all your chips and if someone sucks out of ya then its over. no 2nd chance.but it does work well for me and ive found myself gettin away from it recently because i wanna be that guy building the stacks, but that stuff stresses me out after so many hands of stealing. dont get me wrong when the times comes like the bubble ill go wild. i just wanted to know if I should stick to my natural style or i just need to practice at being a more aggresive player and get a feel for it?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:48 PM

Default Re: my style

Harrington suggests a conservative style because it keeps amateurs out of trouble.

He of course also mentions that you'll make the most money playing a style opposite to your own. However, you have to play a hell of a lot of poker before you can mix your game up IMO. If you're more comfortable playing conservitavely, than stick to that until you become more comfortable playing the LAG style.

One thing I would suggest is to do it a little at a time. Gradually start increasing your range hand by hand in certain situations.

For example, say your range UTG is 99-AA, AKs, AQs. Add 88 into that mix, and maybe AJs. Gradually do that with all your ranges from each position and maybe it'll make the transition easier. And work on getting your reads up. Pay attention to how people play and base your decisions on that.