Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Community
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Staking/Make-up question: What to do with lower prize-pools?

FWIW I think bobneptune is being a big nitty jerk. Chill out dude.

WarDekar, check with your backer if it's ok that you play e.g. events below $500 on your own bankroll. You should have decided this in advance of course, but now here you are. If he's not cool with this, try what Thayer suggested. Above all, if you're reasonable and polite in your suggestions, I'm sure you will get to an agreement.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

WarDekar, check with your backer if it's ok that you play e.g. events below $500 on your own bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

hello soulman,

thanks for the adult commentary in your first paragraph as it adds so much to the conversation.

that being said, did you even read the OP ??? to refresh your memory OP wrote:

"My backer and I can't figure out what to do."

unless i read with zero comprehension or the poster is poor formulating sentences, this means they HAVE ALREADY DISCUSSED THIS TOPIC AND DISAGREE. had the backer thought it was hunky-dory for OP to play mid level live tourneys without including him, there wouldn't be a need for this post, would there?

then OP went on to say if he didn't receive real cash immediately in his pocket, he couldn't give his best to a guy who he was into for 15k. that doesn't sound the least bit insane to you ?

OP then asked for opinions and i gave mine. if you do not agree with it, that's certainly fine.if that somehow makes me a "big nitty jerk" i really will have little difficulty living with it.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 PM

I don't think your being nitty at all.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think your being nitty at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2007, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

WarDekar, check with your backer if it's ok that you play e.g. events below $500 on your own bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

hello soulman,

thanks for the adult commentary in your first paragraph as it adds so much to the conversation.

unless i read with zero comprehension or the poster is poor formulating sentences, this means they HAVE ALREADY DISCUSSED THIS TOPIC AND DISAGREE. had the backer thought it was hunky-dory for OP to play mid level live tourneys without including him, there wouldn't be a need for this post, would there?

then OP went on to say if he didn't receive real cash immediately in his pocket, he couldn't give his best to a guy who he was into for 15k. that doesn't sound the least bit insane to you ?

OP then asked for opinions and i gave mine. if you do not agree with it, that's certainly fine.if that somehow makes me a "big nitty jerk" i really will have little difficulty living with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL at you saying people don't read! Clearly you don't read my posts!

My backer and I actually don't disagree in that he thinks I should be staked in these and I don't think I should, neither of us knows what a fair deal is since this wasn't discussed beforehand.

And you say that I don't have any motivation if I don't get cash in my pocket, that isn't the issue either. The issue is I wanted to be staked for large buy-ins, and now we aren't sure what to do with live play small buy-ins because I honestly feel that it would be a little unfair for me to play on my own since I would feel bad if I got a big score and he wasn't a part of it.

If anyone cares, we've discussed it some and are definitely going to clear up the terms which is a good idea, and FWIW "Nitty Jerk Bob" my backer actually said he was FINE with me playing these under my own roll, I was just hoping we could work out something that was as FAIR as possible for BOTH of us. EXCUSE ME if I'm a bad stakee.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:38 PM

At the risk of being the next nitty jerk, are you rolled for $500 tournaments?
Old 10-20-2007, 04:54 PM

lol wrong thread my bad
Old 10-20-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You might re-read the OP yourself...not once did War say they disagreed, just that they didn't know what to do:

"I understand it's something we need to work out between us, I was just wondering if there was some sort of standard for this, as neither of us really knew of a good way to solve it but we both obviously want to be fair about it."

I don't think your (and others') aggressive tone serves much purpose, War's tone's been reasonable throughout the thread.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I don't entirely like his attitude here either. However, I think it's a little bit understandable, and like A_Plus said, it's not wise of the backer to ignore the psychological aspect. They're obviously both at fault for not working out their agreement in more detail, but that's hard to do anything about now.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I find it interesting that the large majority assumed War wanted to worm out of a deal/work it in his favor/etc. Like he stated in response to Dunkman's (very reasonable) post:
"Thank you, and I guess this is the gist of what I was getting at from the start because it really brings up situations when you don't have clearly defined what the terms are. "

War probably could have done a better job framing his question in the OP (like "We didn't specify conditions before entering the deal, any suggestions on how to handle smaller buy-in live events? Any standards?"), I agree with that.

Edit: internet went down, stuck in preview forevva etc.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:32 PM

Thanks Soul,

I must admit - I bought a Volcano yesterday and was quite inebriated when the first post was written. As such, I wasn't exactly eloquent with my OP, but I've tried to explain the situation as best I could.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
At the risk of being the next nitty jerk, are you rolled for $500 tournaments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what your standard is, but I feel I'm within my risk tolerance to be playing semi-occasional $500 buy-ins. I do decent with MTTs and have other forms of income, as well as a decent bankroll to begin with so yes I feel I'm bankrolled enough to play $500s as much as I have ever been to play the bigger buy-ins in my risk tolerance.