Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 01:39 PM

Default The late but official 2007 NYJ offseason thread

I meant to do this following the playoff loss to NE but I was busy tallying my losses (3 meals, drinks, and an avatar--why do I know so many Pats fans?)

ANYHOO, The Jets biggest needs are on defense. We played well last year towards the end of the year in a new scheme with players who don't fit but guys who do fit are in high demand if we want to even try to stop the run.

Defensive line:

Obviously, a big Wilfork-type NT is of the higest priority. Problem is guys like this don't grow on trees on only drop to #25 if you're the Patriots. Bottom line on NTs is I don't think there's anyone around who fits the bill. One guy who is supposedly of interest is NCState's Tank Tyler. But the new regime seems hellbent on character guys and I believe he once assaulted a police officer. There's also an issue of his size in that he's only a shade above 300lbs, not sure how much room he has to grow.

We also have a hole at DE as Kimo is old. One guy in the draft who I'd love is Adam Carriker but he had a great senior bowl week and likely won't be there at #25. Another guy who might fit the role here is DE Anthony Spenser from Purdue. (Note: NE picks at 24 and plays the same 3-4 we do. They don't need a starting DE, but he'll be on their radar for sure.)

LBs

Lots of questions here. What isn't in question is that the Jets need a pass rusher so OLB is a def need. It seems pretty clear that A Thomas is too expensive and won't be an option. Joey Porter is interesting to me given his recent release and experience in the 3-4. Again, character issues. I do like the intangible fact that he got shot in the ass. Another guy the Jets are supposedly high on is Jarvis Moss, the DE from UF. He doesn't have the size to plat DE in the 3-4 so I'm assuming he'd be converted to an OLB.

Regarding our existing LBs, someone needs to figure out whether Vilma doesn't fit in the 3-4 or doesn't fit in the NYJ non-big-d-line 3-4. Thing is he's *maybe* 230, which isn't ideal for an ILB in this system but he is a very talented guy and I'd hate to see him go. I am not opposed to the idea of trading him. He has a ton of value for a tampa-two team of which there are many.

The Jets are also supposedly shopping Barton. With an eye towards what I have no idea.

CBs

Need an immediate and instant upgrade. Barrett, Miller, Dyson, etc., none of these guys are very good. This is obviosuly another position that could be eyed with the first pick. There seem to be a lot of good CBs in this class so one of our two 2nd rounders could also be dedicated to a corner.

Safety

Our strongest defensive position and even though I don't think Erik Coleman played well last year Kerry Rhodes got jobbed out of a pro-bowl bid for no reason whatsoever. Rhodes will likely be signed to an extension in the near future.

Offense

QBs

Chad I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Ramsey is gone, Kellen is in the wing, and there's talk of bringing in an experienced back up. We're ok here.

RBs

One of our two biggest offensive needs. Gone are Barlow, Askew, Curtis will retire soon enough, which leaves us with Leon and Houston. Leon is obviously going to get his touches but no one is anointing this guy the starter and we obv need ot bring in some help. Apparently a deal with the Skins for Ladell Betts couldn't be reached. Michael Turner is on the radar, but I do not want to trade our #1 for this guy. He does seem very talented though. There will be options here in the second and third rounds but I think the Jets will be very active in the trade market too.

WRs:

Laverneus and 89 (just signed extension) have the starting spots locked up. If we had picks, flexibility, less needs elsewhere I'd love to bring in a burner or some other deep threat but we have too many holes and not a deep throwing QB anyway. I think McCairens will be gine and we might pick up some riff-raff elsewhere.

TE

Now here's a position we could really use an upgrade. I like Chris Baker, but someone to roam the middle and give Chad another consistent option could really give us some options on offense. UM's Olsen had a great combine but I don't think we have the luxury of using our #1 pick on offense.

OL

Well, we're almost done. I think you're see an improved D'Brick (+20-25 lbs) next year and he and Mangold will be here for years to come. We do have a gaping hole at RG and the kid from UT, Justim Blaylock, would be a nice pick in the second. I'm afraid Pete Kendall won't be able to play another 20 years but I like having him between the two youngin's. Learnin' them, as it were.

All in all, going into last year's draft I would have been happy to see us draft 9 offensive lineman. This year its probably defense all around, and its much needed.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Re: The late but official 2007 NYJ offseason thread

Brett,

I've been waiting for you to start this thread for months. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I think the Jets should and will stay away from most of the big name free agents.

I agree with you that defense is our top priority.

We need to get bigger and faster up front. Kimo looks like he will be back for another season but I'm sure he will wind up being a role player. Robertson can't get it done at NT. He had some flashes last year, but he isn't ideal there in the 3-4. So...I'm hoping the Jets can grab a NT early in the draft and then maybe see if Robertson can play DE in the 3-4 this year. Titus Adams will probably get a long look in camp at NT as well after sitting out all last year with an injury.

The other glaring need on defense is Cornerback. Barrett is terrible. Dyson is decent and Miller just can't handle the role of being an every down corner. Bringing back Poteat was a good move but he isn't a starter. One of our other top picks needs to be spent on a CB (which this draft looks good for).

Rhodes is $. I'm actually hoping for a bounce back year for Coleman. His appendectomy early in camp I think hurt him for the rest of the year. Maybe coming in healthy to camp will do him wonders and he can return to his form from a couple of years ago. Safety is the least of our concerns. Look out for Smith too in his sophomore year.

We are okay at LB. I'd love to see Porter in a Jets uniform though and then maybe swing Hobson to the inside or stick with Barton there. Porter - Vilma - Hobson/Barton - Thomas. Not too shabby. I'm hoping Schlegel can make some strides this year and work his way into the rotation. I saw way too much of Chatham last year.

On offense we need some backs. Neon Leon is not an every down back. Houston is a decent depth guy but they need a guy who can come in and handle 15-20 touches a game no problem. I'm hoping we can snag someone in the draft here as well with our 2nd, 2nd round selection. Although I wouldn't be opposed to bringing Dillon in for a year or two here.

Askew is gone. I say good riddance. That said we need a couple of FB's. This might be a position they can address in FA. I'm eyeing Mughelli from the Ravens. He is a good blocker. Getting home town hero Leonard in the 3rd might not be a bad use of pick either.

You are right about TE. We need another one. I like Baker too and I think he has pretty good hands. But we need a TE who can block. That way Schotty might be able to get something going with 2 TE sets.

We are probably going to lose starting RT - Clement in FA. That's okay as long as they bring someone else in (Jones gives us some depth but he isn't starter material). Also, Kendall isnt getting any younger so maybe they can grab an OG late in the draft.

Wide Receiver we should be fine at. I'm hoping JMac is gone but I wouldn't mind keeping him if he agrees to a pay cut. I want to see more of Brad Smith lined up at WO this year. Coles, Cotchery, McCareins, Smith, Dwight. That's just fine with me.

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Chad. Clemens should be the #2. They will probably bring in another veteran, but I wouldn't be opposed to making Smith the #3 and opening up a roster spot for someone else.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We are probably going to lose starting RT - Clement in FA. That's okay as long as they bring someone else in (Jones gives us some depth but he isn't starter material). Also, Kendall isnt getting any younger so maybe they can grab an OG late in the draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brandom Moore is terrible. RG is a big, big need IMO.

RE NT, Robertson, Adams, Pioha, Rashan Moore, MOsely. We have a lot of non-good NTs. But there seems ot be a lack of them floating around [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2007, 02:29 PM

Yeah you're right, Moore isn't the greatest. Drafting an OG is a definite must but I think there are other bigger glaring holes to fill on defense first.

Losing Clement is going to mean they will need to bring in a RT in FA rather than a guard too.

Hopefully they will draft someone who can step in right away and at least push Moore to be better...
Old 03-02-2007, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Hopefully they will draft someone who can step in right away and at least push Moore to be better...

[/ QUOTE ]

We fit this bill!
Old 03-02-2007, 02:44 PM

yea, was wondering when this thread would get started...

yes, stay away from most of the marquee FA since this is a rebuilding team.

i know robertson has had a few years to prove himself, but playing the nose in the 3-4 can't be easy...still, the run defense is bad and it has to prolly start with him, but guys like wilfork won't be easy to get...would a new NT be enough to help the run defense much??

i really would like a pass rushing OLB as well, this element has been shown to be very effective, if not vital around the league and the jets sure could use this as they don't generate a ton of pressure on the QB anyway...

i agree the CBs need to be improved, but i'd rather focus on the run defense/LB corps at the moment...

as for the offensive side, i don't really see any way to upgrade the RB spot without giving up too much in a trade, so i'd stick with leon/houston and see how this combo goes next year...

a better pass catching TE would be nice to give another short range option, but that's a luxury and shouldn't be addressed early in the draft...
Old 03-02-2007, 07:04 PM

Finally some Jets talk....

I'm not ready to give up on Vilma just yet. We saw what he did his first 2 years, and the switch could of hurt him. I'm sure that he will adjust, and if not, maybe we could convert him into the OLB we need?? He isn't the *best* pass rusher, but we all know he is physical and could help us if he isn't very useful as the ILB. I don't want to trade him yet though.

I would like this draft to focus on the line's for the first couple of rounds, barring that a total stud appears to us at a certain point in the draft. Getting a d-lineman/RG help would be awsome, and I think if the Oline upgrades more, Leon/Houston could work well as a combo.

Quick question--- What is A. Thomas asking for in FA?
Old 03-02-2007, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Quick question--- What is A. Thomas asking for in FA?

[/ QUOTE ]

10-12M to sign then 4m/year? I dunno. Not something we're going to pay. But he's got suitors in SF where NOlan was his D coord in Baltimore and they like each other. NE is also very interested and they're nE and what defensive player wouldn't want to play there.
Old 03-02-2007, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm eyeing Mughelli from the Ravens. He is a good blocker.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Faclons signed him to a six-year, $18 million contract with a signing bonus of $5 million.
Old 03-03-2007, 02:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
JETS CONSIDERING A TRADE UP?

We're hearing that the New York Jets are considering an effort to trade up from the No. 25 spot in round one to the top of the draft.

The Jets would like to get in position to draft either receiver Calvin Johnson or running back Adrian Peterson.

To ensure that they'll get either guy, the Jets likely would have to land no lower than No. 3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Peterson, yes. CJ, I don't know. He's clearly the BPA for as long as he's on the board, but are we really going to give up a bundle to grab a WR? Really? This is prob just [censored].