Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Re: WSOP on ESPN thread (10/9 - ME Final Table)

God this final table was horrible to watch. At least last year, it seemed like everyone knew what they were doing, and it gave you the feeling that it takes a lot of skill to get there. This one looked like the kind of game from your home game in the way that it looked like it would be fun to be there, but you don't really feel like that you want to be there. In fact, the same goes for every final table this year. I guess it has something to do with the new graphics which I don't really like. It makes this year's WSOP look like some kind of cheap spin-off from the WSOP. Anyone with me there?
Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 PM

I realize that much has already been said here about the unprecedented overt religiosity shown at this final table--but I had a lot more to say about it. Roughly 2000 words more, in fact. So instead of cramming it all in here, I'll just direct interested readers to my blog, where I posted it:

http://pokergrump.blogspot.com/2007/...ker-table.html

or

http://tinyurl.com/24nlla

Comments are welcome, here or on my blog.
Old 10-10-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I realize that much has already been said here about the unprecedented overt religiosity shown at this final table--but I had a lot more to say about it. Roughly 2000 words more, in fact. So instead of cramming it all in here, I'll just direct interested readers to my blog, where I posted it:

http://pokergrump.blogspot.com/2007/...ker-table.html

Comments are welcome, here or on my blog.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was an entertaining read.

But all the chapter and verse you quoted suggests that you may be more obsessed than the people who were there.

In the middle of a tourney where each hand can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, people do lots of weird things, but its all in the heat of the moment.

Raymond Rahme rooting for baby cards and wanting to kiss Jerry Yang's picture of his kids was just as weird as the praying was.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes this year's WSOP look like some kind of cheap spin-off from the WSOP. Anyone with me there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um... no?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way....lets all say thanks to superuberbob for that great avatar...brings back fond memories of the 1st time i notcied it when we were watching the FT live on pay-per-view a few months back

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish it would go away.... sometimes I get distracted for hours watching it!
Old 10-10-2007, 11:27 PM

jerry yang really isn't that special, stupid aggressive, he relies on his aggressive raises ONLY, he never bothers to try and read the other opponents. I think tat alex guy (russian) and the S.African Ramme are much more solid players. what a disgrace for recent WSOP events, all amateur donks win it, Gold, Yang, and the infamous MOneymaker
Old 10-10-2007, 11:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Guess this isn't surprising, but ESPN didn't show one of the most interesting hands I remember while watching live. When it was four handed, Krevchenko opened OTB IIRC and Lam called with Ac Qc. Flop came with three lowish cards, and Lam check/called. Turn bricked and it checked through, river also bricked. Lam bet out (as a bluff I guess?), Krevchenko called, and Lam's AQ was good. I assume Krevchenko had AJ/AT, but I don't remember the details of the hand and I would have been curious to see the exact action and bet sizes again, as well as Alex's hole cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounds like Hand 136. From http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/...day7/page13.htm

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #136 - Alex Kravchenko has the button in seat 2, he raises to 1.4 million, and Tuan Lam calls from the big blind. The flop comes {8-Clubs}{7-Spades}{4-Clubs}, and both players check. The turn card is the {8-Hearts}, Lam bets 3 million, and Kravchenko calls. There is now 9.25 million in the pot.

The river card is the {J-Diamonds}, and both players check. Lam shows {A-Clubs}{Q-Clubs} for ace high, and Kravchenko mucks. Tuan Lam takes the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kravchenko wasn't showing his hole cards to the camera anyway, so I don't think we would have found out what he had.
Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
God this final table was horrible to watch. At least last year, it seemed like everyone knew what they were doing, and it gave you the feeling that it takes a lot of skill to get there. This one looked like the kind of game from your home game in the way that it looked like it would be fun to be there, but you don't really feel like that you want to be there. In fact, the same goes for every final table this year. I guess it has something to do with the new graphics which I don't really like. It makes this year's WSOP look like some kind of cheap spin-off from the WSOP. Anyone with me there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeh, no.

This table would have been more interesting if Allen Cunningham were there. Something tells me he wouldn't have tried to bluff an unbluffable SB big stack all-in with A7o.

-Z
Old 10-11-2007, 12:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand #136 - Alex Kravchenko has the button in seat 2, he raises to 1.4 million, and Tuan Lam calls from the big blind. The flop comes {8-Clubs}{7-Spades}{4-Clubs}, and both players check. The turn card is the {8-Hearts}, Lam bets 3 million, and Kravchenko calls. There is now 9.25 million in the pot.

The river card is the {J-Diamonds}, and both players check. Lam shows {A-Clubs}{Q-Clubs} for ace high, and Kravchenko mucks. Tuan Lam takes the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kravchenko wasn't showing his hole cards to the camera anyway, so I don't think we would have found out what he had.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like he might have had a smaller flush draw.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
OliverT,

I hate most of what you do, but I think the flags/nationalism were a nice touch given the makeup of the final table.

The USA chant was still dickish though.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Tue Jul 17 2007 21:59 PST | Posted by BJNemeth
Hand #113 - Jerry Yang

Hand #113 - Jerry Yang has the button in seat 4, he raises to 2 million, and Tuan Lam calls from the small blind. The flop comes J [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], Lam bets 3 million, Yang raises to 9 million, and Lam thinks for about two minutes before he folds. Jerry Yang wins the pot, and a few fans in the crowd start weakly cheering "U.S.A.! U.S.A.!"

The chant seems to be more about good-natured fun than anything else, because the foreigners still alive at the final table (representing South Africa, Russia, and Canada) have such strong national support in the crowd. "

-Z