Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 04:29 PM

Default NL2 - JJ in SB. 3-bet too fancy here?

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.02 BB (6 handed) Hand History Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com (Format: 2+2 Forums)

Button ($.90)
Hero ($2.73)
BB ($1.88)
UTG ($1.98)
MP ($1.63)
CO ($2.34)

UTG is 37/8/1.3 and not that good and has folded to most of my PF raises and 80% of my c-bets.

Button is 56/24/1.4 and is just horrible and might even be on tilt because he has raised the last several hands all-in or $0.15 preflop after taking his KJo to the river against a flopped set from another villain. Took him from over $3.25 to $0.90 and the villain who did left the table immediately LOL.

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">UTG raises to $0.07, 2 folds</font>, Button calls $0.07, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $0.30</font>

Was this too aggro here. Certainly considering that UTG's raise might mean something since he only raises about 8% of his hands, I thought I would know right away where I stand. But looking back I think this was a bit too over the top. I liked my hand but I didn't like the thought of playing it OOP so I did what I did. What my raise too much? Would $.22 be ok instead of $.30? Comments/criticism are more than welcome. Thanks a lot.

AC
Old 10-14-2007, 04:34 PM

Default Re: NL2 - JJ in SB. 3-bet too fancy here?

this is so super standard.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: NL2 - JJ in SB. 3-bet too fancy here?

.30 is good because of the caller. You would really prefer to play against one villain instead of two or even three, so a slightly bigger 3-bet is good. You don't want everyone calling with an A/K/Q between them. If it's folded to you after the initial raise I would make it a little less as you say.

Another reason that bigger raises are good at these stakes to isolate is that people aren't thinking "Oh he just reraised three times the initial raise / 1.5x the pot / etc." - they're thinking "Whatever it's just 20¢ I'll call with Q2o".

Isolating here is key. JJ has about 49% equity against three random hands, and UTG probably has something better than random anyway.