Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 11:08 PM

Default Why do some villains raise 12xBB from UTG

This is kind of a silly question, but when a villain raises 12xBB from UTG, what does this typically represent? I always fold unless I have AA or KK, then I shove, but I always "want" to call just to see what the big raise is all about. Is this typically AA or KK, or a small PP? Just wondering. I see it mostly from players who are like 45/7/2, etc.

AC
Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Why do some villains raise 12xBB from UTG

As a rule of thumb, this is a decent hand that would rather win without seeing a flop. Hands like JJ, AK and the like.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:33 PM

I've seen it with JJ more than anything else. Usually you don't get to see the hand though, obviousley.
Old 10-03-2007, 11:49 PM

Almost always mid range PP. Never will you see someone do this with QQ-AA unless they're going meta on you but this is micro!!
Old 10-03-2007, 11:54 PM

Ask yourself, why do some villains open raise all in sometimes with J4s. Answer? People can do whatever the [censored] they want. It's their money.
Old 10-04-2007, 12:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is kind of a silly question, but when a villain raises 12xBB from UTG, what does this typically represent? I always fold unless I have AA or KK, <font color="blue">then I shove,</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Next time someone raises to 12xBB from UTG and you've got AA or KK, don't shove -- just smooth-call it. You'll have a heads-up pot with position, you'll have the best hand preflop, you'll have the best hand at showdown about 80% of the time, and you'll leave villain in the betting seat. Why win 12xBB when you can let him donk off even more? Someone betting 12xBB preflop is NOT going to check-fold the flop...they're going to fire another 20xBB bet on the flop, which you can smooth-call again.

Then on the turn they'll either give up or fire a second barrel. If they check the turn, check behind! Many villains will take your weakness as an opportunity to fire another bluff on the river, and this will be another 20xBB or more. If instead they bet the turn, smooth-call again. No matter what you do, don't bet until the river. If at the river you've got a set go ahead and make a big raise (ideally all-in, but only if that's even remotely reasonable). If you don't have a set then just call, call, call. You'd be surprised how often a player falls madly in love with their pocket pair preflop, assumes you don't have a real hand because you're not betting, and "value bets" himself to death on the flop, turn, and river, especially if he's out of position.

You're going to win the hand 80% of the time, so you might as well let your opponent build you a Daisy of a pot in the process, right?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Almost always mid range PP. Never will you see someone do this with QQ-AA unless they're going meta on you but this is micro!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes people do this with QQ+, but it's so rare that you just put something in the notes on that player and move on.
Closed Thread