Indian 10 6.33%
Scottish Braveheart Dude 19 12.03%
Soldier Fighting Evil Forces 24 15.19%
Other (Specify) 14 8.86%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-14-2007, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Share your tricks for playing as a single

[ QUOTE ]
i guess if someone wanted to sit at our dinner table and blow smoke in our face, we should allow that too.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL, you need to go to analogy school, dude.

[ QUOTE ]
I would say of the people I've been paired with, 10% I've been glad to meet, 30% are neutral, and 60% are complete [censored] in some way.

[/ QUOTE ]
If my distribution was like that then I too would probably not want to take the risk, but it's almost the exact opposite so I don't mind taking the chance. Maybe Texas is the problem.

EDIT: also, I didn't vote in the pole because the correct answer for me is "depends", and that wasn't an option.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see it as that bad an analogy. Someone is making a minority choice. They are then seeking to impose their choice on us, at the expense of our enjoyment of the process.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see it as that bad an analogy. Someone is making a minority choice. They are then seeking to impose their choice on us, at the expense of our enjoyment of the process.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're right, blowing smoke in someone's face is eerily similar to someone wanting to enjoy a round of golf with some other people. My bad. And of course they're imposing it, there's no way you could tell them no or anything.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 PM

Should have just said that your 4th was running late and was catching up on the 2nd or 3rd hole.

FWIW, I see nothing wrong with what you did, although I would have done it differently. I have bigger problems than worrying about how some lonely single feels at the golf course.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should have just said that your 4th was running late and was catching up on the 2nd or 3rd hole.

FWIW, I see nothing wrong with what you did, although I would have done it differently. I have bigger problems than worrying about how some lonely single feels at the golf course.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we decided this would have been best in general. However, the initial conversation was within earshot of the starter, whom we had just told that our 4th wasn't coming. The last thing I need is him saying "Oh, he IS coming, thought you said he wasn't." But the real reason is that I was just caught completely off guard that the single turned down the chance to play solo on Saturday morning on a wide open golf course.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:40 PM

all the people that are saying "let him play alone" are the same hypocrites that would complain if they caught up to him and he was playing multiple balls.

playing as a single and catching the group ahead and then having the group behind catch you...pretty much sucks...mainly because of [censored] like BA
Old 08-14-2007, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
all the people that are saying "let him play alone" are the same hypocrites that would complain if they caught up to him and he was playing multiple balls.

playing as a single and catching the group ahead and then having the group behind catch you...pretty much sucks...mainly because of [censored] like BA

[/ QUOTE ]

He made it clear the course was wide open ahead.

If there were groups backed up this wouldn't have even been posted.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The group ahead was probably on the 10th teebox. I hate getting sandwiched in between two groups too. It seems like I'm always in a 3 sent out behidn a 4 and then a 2 behind us. Believe me, we've had some retard singles stuck in our groups, and I've never turned anyone down or treated them shabbily. I had a course force another guy into my CART and this guy was the worst of hte whole bunch. But this was totally different, because there was no one at the course other than 1 or 2 early morning groups, who were lonnnng gone, this guy, and my 3some. I would never ask a single to wait on a large group in front just to keep him out of my group.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:34 PM

BA, take comfort in:

(1) I play a lot of golf and pretty much agree with you. If I'm with 2 other buddies and the course is open (not like that ever happens here in NJ), I want to hang and play with my buddies and not some stranger. Unless she's hot.

(2) Douche-Tor disagrees with you.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:51 PM

My main point was that you need to be a man and go up to the guy and explain the situation, not that the desire to play with only your family was wrong.

Instead you acted like a bitch because no one in your party had the courage to simply say you wanted to play as a threesome.