Pirate 43 27.22%
Indian 10 6.33%
Scottish Braveheart Dude 19 12.03%
Soldier Fighting Evil Forces 24 15.19%
Other (Specify) 14 8.86%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-13-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Share your tricks for playing as a single

For the record I would much rather play by myself than with a group.

- Faster
- No forced socializing with morans
- No forced helping look for moran's lost ball
- I play two balls
- I can replay shots

All around a much better experience.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 PM

I love playing 2 balls by myself. Can play 18 holes with 36 holes of shots in under 3 hours, can even do 72 holes of shots on 36 holes in about 6-7. I do everything I can to get out alone.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- Faster
- I play two balls
- I can replay shots

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that's the best way to practice. I used to play as a single and would hit each shot until I hit one well (sometimes until I would hit one perfect, but that takes a bit more time). If time allowed, I'd play two or more out on the hole, especially around the green. It was much easier to concentrate practicing like that than to practice for hours on the range.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A course just recently reopened in Austin, and my dad and brother and myself went out. It was about 9:30 on a Saturday and there was maybe one other group at the course. A single comes up and says he would rather play with us than alone? WTF? You could play in 2 hours alone, why would you rather intrude on a family outing. We hung out in the parking lot till he got the hint. So, poll time:

[/ QUOTE ]How about you grow a pair and tell the guy you are having a family outing or whatever instead of hiding behind some SUV until he goes away?

What is wrong with you?

edit

I really enjoy playing the local par 3 as a single
Old 08-13-2007, 10:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

- Faster
- I play two balls
- I can replay shots

[/ QUOTE ]
Well, OK I change my answer slightly. It depends what you're looking for. If I'm out there to work on my swing for an upcoming tournament then I'd rather just play by myself so I could focus on certain things. If on the other hand I'm just looking to get out and enjoy myself and not grind too hard then maybe playing with some folks wouldn't be so bad.

Also, to address the poll, if we had a threesome and someone wanted to join us I'd have no problem with that. Sure you run the chance of them being really slow or annoying, but there's also a good chance to meet someone new. Seems worth a shot.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A course just recently reopened in Austin, and my dad and brother and myself went out. It was about 9:30 on a Saturday and there was maybe one other group at the course. A single comes up and says he would rather play with us than alone? WTF? You could play in 2 hours alone, why would you rather intrude on a family outing. We hung out in the parking lot till he got the hint. So, poll time:

[/ QUOTE ]How about you grow a pair and tell the guy you are having a family outing or whatever instead of hiding behind some SUV until he goes away?

What is wrong with you?

edit

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I was just really blown away. I've never had a guy say he wanted to play with us, it's always been a course imposing it. They told him he could go forward, and he said "eh, I don't really wanna play alone." I guess I should have said "guess what, we do." I just don't know if you don't want to play alone, why you go by yourself to a course that just reopened and is in a remote area. It was unexpected and awkward and tough to tell someone "I don't want you to play with us." We went out to the lot to load up our carts and change shoes. We sat in the lot awhile complaining about the situation, and sat out for a while. We weren't hiding, but weren't racing to get back to the 1 tee. He eventually took the hint and teed off.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

What is wrong with you?

edit

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. I was just really blown away. I've never had a guy say he wanted to play with us, it's always been a course imposing it. They told him he could go forward, and he said "eh, I don't really wanna play alone." I guess I should have said "guess what, we do." I just don't know if you don't want to play alone, why you go by yourself to a course that just reopened and is in a remote area. It was unexpected and awkward and tough to tell someone "I don't want you to play with us." We went out to the lot to load up our carts and change shoes. We sat in the lot awhile complaining about the situation, and sat out for a while. We weren't hiding, but weren't racing to get back to the 1 tee. He eventually took the hint and teed off.

[/ QUOTE ]

your family sounds like a bunch of [censored]. people like you are everything that is wrong about golf.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]

your family sounds like a bunch of [censored]. people like you are everything that is wrong about golf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch. I'm of the opinion that you should have the "friendly neighbor" attitude when it comes to playing with other people. I can't imagine turning somebody down, sure you might not want to play with that person but it's the right thing to do, for the betterment of the game and all.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:58 AM

Usually I'm the single and I'm better than everyone else in the group. I hate when I get someone put with me that blows and makes us spend an extra 5 minutes on each hole.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what do you mean by people like me? is it because I'm BLACK, YOU SON OF A BITCH? oh wait, i'm not. nm.

anyway, I guess it's not the most flattering story. but this dude is making a choice that only 4% of responders in poll #1 are choosing. we should have a worse time to acommodate him? i guess if someone wanted to sit at our dinner table and blow smoke in our face, we should allow that too.

Additional factors: I would say of the people I've been paired with, 10% I've been glad to meet, 30% are neutral, and 60% are complete [censored] in some way. I've had people hit my ball; pick up my ball; kick back to one of us a 3 foot putt without asking, when we are playing matches for money; drive off in the cart with my clubs on it so he could go to dinner with his wife, stand behind me when I putt breathing loudly; rattle clubs in backswings; talk incessantly about "well i had 148 in, that's usually an 8, but i figure the wind . . ."; give me lessons; take forever; and on and on and on and on.

I'm not a good player, and I'm wildly inconsistent. My last round I hit 10/14 fairways, but two of the misses went less than 100 yards. I shot 105, my best 11 scores added to 49, my worst 7 added to 56. It sucks hitting a topped 20 yard drive in front of strangers. I then feel pressured and rushed.

Also, this is Texas. It was 90*+ at 10 when we teed off. It's nice to play the round at a quick pace. I have a newborn at home, and the wife appreciates it too. My brother goes to school out of state, and the 3 of us get to play together maybe 6 times a year.

So it's not like we were a bunch of sticks who don't want a chop with us. But I am open to the fact that it may be a dick move, but I think it was a dick move for him to insist. He said "do you mind if I join up" and we said "actually you can go on ahead if you want", which is code for just go.