Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:58 PM

Default fantasy sports forum?

does anyone think there would be interest in this? would it be warranted? i am usually not crazy about making new forums, but here is the case for it:

1. sports forum guys complain when people start new threads for fantasy questions. there is a single fantasy thread going (which i started when people bitched about all my noob fantasy questions) that has gotten so long people don't seem to check up on it or answer questions all that often.

2. since early spring there have been over 40 fantasy threads, some of them quite long. i think we are well over 1000 posts on fantasy sports alone for that time period. presumably, a well-advertised fantasy sports forum could generate even more traffic, since people wouldn't be discouraged from starting new threads with their Q's.

3. it's around the time where people do midseason leagues for baseball, and people are starting to think about football as well. draft time tends to be the busiest time, so it seems there's a good chance the forum could get a jump-start from that, which always helps with a new forum.

4. we can start leagues within the forum as well, which some folks did in sporting events proper, another good way to generate community.

i would volunteer to moderate, or be equally happy to let someone else do it. i don't think it would require quite the heavy hand that OOT does. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

thoughts?
Old 06-21-2007, 10:51 PM

Default Re: fantasy sports forum?

[ QUOTE ]

thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

you are welcome to roll this into EB, tweak the name, and join us as mods.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:16 PM

GM,

thanks for the invite, but not all fantasy sports involve betting. not sure if it would fit?
Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 PM

A fantasy football forum would be good for the Playground in August.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:28 PM

If I'm not mistaken, there are currently fantasy sports posts in betting (?) and sporting events. Maybe some other forums. I don't think these posts really add to these forums in terms of bringing people in and creating more posts beyond the posts on the topic. In sporting events they tend to be irritating to most posters.

In other words, adding the forum wouldn't IMO take away from the other forums and posters. It would be highly beneficial to people interested and allow a lot more topics to be discussed as many people don't like huge umbrella threads.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 PM

i didn't even know there were fantasy threads in those forums, wow, we should totally do this
Old 06-22-2007, 12:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GM,

thanks for the invite, but not all fantasy sports involve betting. not sure if it would fit?

[/ QUOTE ]

that's why i said you could fool with the name.

anyhoo, keep it in mind
Old 06-22-2007, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
GM,

[/ QUOTE ]

that's why i said you could fool with the name. i offered it because i am a fantasy sport's nut.

anyhoo, keep it in mind
Old 06-22-2007, 11:10 AM

Default Re: fantasy sports forum? *DELETED*

Post deleted by MEbenhoe
Old 06-22-2007, 11:24 AM

I'm gonna play devil's advocate to myself.

Reasons I would be in favor of this split

1. Forum would likely create more traffic between the fantasy forum and sports forum than the current sports forum alone does.

2. Even though the sports regulars I talk to all like the fantasy stuff sticking in the sports forum, this could be one of those things where they object now, but once its setup they'd post a ton in the new forum anyways.

3. Honestly if the new forum is set up I'd want to mod it. Can I call dibs since its stuff thats already currently in a forum that I mod?

So how about this. Since the sports forum is the one most directly effected by it, I will hold a vote old school survivor style where only posters with >100 votes reg'd before 5/1/07 and with at least 5 posts in sports in the last month vote in the open if they'd like to see a fantasy sports forum split off. If the split wins we split it off.

Does that sound fair to everyone? Ya know the idea of actually letting the people that the split would effect decide whether we should split it or not instead of the usual way of going about these things?